Planetside vs World War 2 Online - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'm Common Pool, thankyouverymuch.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-04, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Blair
Private

Planetside vs World War 2 Online

What lessons do you think the SOE devs for Planetside can learn from the disaster that was WW2 Online?

What are your expections out of Planetside? How do you expect the flight model and vehicle models to perform?
Old 2002-11-04, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Validuz
Gnarus Necnon
Imperiosus

...Dave G =)
Old 2002-11-04, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Blair
Private

Dave G??? I dont get it...

Planetside looks great... only one thing concerns me...

I suck at Quake type FPS games. I'm always at the bottom of the kill list.

Maybe I'll stick to flying a mosquito...
Old 2002-11-04, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I can't answer that.

The closest I ever got to playing an MMOG was one night when i was bored, I downloaded Anarchy Online and was going to give it a try.

I figured Free DL + 30 Days Free trial, how could I go wrong? So After installing, and playing for about 30 min, I decided that the controls, and movement of the game sucked, and it was no wonder they had to give it away free jst to get people to sign up.
Old 2002-11-04, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

I never played WWII Online. After playing AO at lunch... what a freaking Cluster F*ck that was I have been leery of buyig or playing games at launch. WWIIOL suffered because it was a SMALL company doing it. PS is being done by the MMO giant. Sony knows better then to bomb a launch and I don't expect to see such occur. They have the resources to get it right.

The best thing I have to compare PS to is BF1942. Same concept, older weapons smaller scale but still...

Flying better be kick ass is all I have to say. I love to fly on BF1942, I can stay in the air in one plane through a whole map and get top score. So far, there are only three aircraft, no bombing methods as far as I can see, just guns and some rockets, little dissapointed by that.

As for the vehices, well I am worried about the LAG monster with everything about this game. I have a cable line, full pipe is 1/2 a T1 line, but if all the servers are in freaking Cali, I am gonna be pinging in the 80-120 range if Counter Strike is any indication.

The Vehicles should be fairly easy to run with, but the lag issue may make warping tanks, hover vehicles hard to drive and harder to hit... we shall see what we see....
Old 2002-11-04, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Durring the Dev interview they mention that they will have server on the West Coast, Somewhere in Central (St. Louis maybe? That's where the Dev's are), and the East Coast.

I don't know if all the servres will be linked, or if you play on a West Coast server, all you see are west coast players.

I have the same concerns. Most of my friends are Central, with a few on East. I'm about the only one on the West Coast. I'd love to play on a Low Ping West Coast server, but if all my friends are on the Central Server, then that's where I'll have to play.

It's something I think I'll worry about closer to release.
Old 2002-11-04, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Blair
Private

I'm screwed...

i'm in Canada. :P
Old 2002-11-04, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

lol, how far up in canada US servers should be resonable

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-04, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blair
Private

Near Toronto... so I guess I'll be connection to a central server

But I might be moving to North Bay next year... (Near the border to Minneapolis) so I dunno how well the connection will hold up from there...
Old 2002-11-04, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well I know a one or two people in Toronto and they game resonable on East Coast servers.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-06, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I live in Sudbury, which is near Toronto, and I have no problems with my connection. On games like BF1942 I generally have a ping of around 40 or so -- a combination of a good system and a good connection.

As for the game and its potential lag issues... that is the one thing which will make or break this game. In DAoC, which I have played for over a year (yeah, it sucks in some ways, but not all), the problem with 200 vs 200 battles isn't the lag. The lag really never gets that bad. The problem is the frame rate. When you have that many people, it becomes a slide-show. Sucky, really. Thankfully, the new graphics engine coming for DAoC's expansion will fix that. So the only thing I can say is this: Worry more about whether or not the game will have an engine good enough to handle the combat, rather than whether the servers can take the load.
Old 2002-11-08, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
GhostRanger
Private

Hopefully they learn not to release the game until its ready. And to make sure the producers are still flipping the bill.

Hopefully they learn not to use any hardcoding (rule of 64) for displaying enemies.

If they are gonna use any type of attrition, hopefully they have it in game at release.

Hopefully they are not basing the game on "Map Resets"

Hopefully they are not going for "Historical Accuracy"
Old 2002-11-08, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Flashingfish
Forbidden Leader

Originally posted by Blair
Planetside looks great... only one thing concerns me...

I suck at Quake type FPS games. I'm always at the bottom of the kill list.

Maybe I'll stick to flying a mosquito...
ARGH

This is NOT a twitch only game! You can play support roles! Medic, hacker, jacker, recon.....etc.

Old 2007-09-21, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Wisebone
Private

Re: Planetside vs World War 2 Online

Graphics and Movement... never played such a poor game before as WW2 Online..
The only thing that was cool was it was big and in ww2 theme hehe, and the airdrops =D
Old 2007-11-04, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
CannonballGB
Private

Re: Planetside vs World War 2 Online

WW2OL was not a disaster. It used to have a huge player base just like PlanetSide and has declined drastically in numbers just like PlanetSide. Also, it's been around a whole lot longer than PlanetSide also.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion