"out of bounds" - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where hacking and carjacking is perfectly legal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-20, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Re: "out of bounds"

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Forced meatgrinding isn't fun. If we're going to have that, then there is zero purpose to large scale. Choke point and tunnel focus wherein you have no choice but to press forward through the enemy could easily make 200 players feel like 2000.
This is actually the point of Planetside. Big battles, illusionary or otherwise. If they didn't funnel troops into other troops, everyone would be scattered all over the place in attempts of rabid land grabbing, just like with PS1 pre-lattice. The lattice was put in place precisely to funnel troops into other lines of troops.

If one wants tactical combat, they should aim to make the tiny victories others won't try for so that the main force can achieve the big victory. This means taking every hex around an enemy base to reduce their teams hack times while increasing their enemies hack times. This means fighting beyond a base and taking territory in preparation for the next major assault. This also means countering opposing tactical teams from doing the same thing. If what one is doing isn't for the direct benefit of the frontline, it's a waste of manpower. Trying to hack a base a good 2-3km from the frontline just to draw troops merely evens the odds again - those people could have been fighting on the frontline too.

Back hacking is greatly discouraged with overly long capture timers. The home team will have ample time to muster a force to counter attack the region, and frankly, this is where I really enjoy the idea of no cloaked mobile respawn points and the possible inability to even use them (plus squad spawning) inside an SOI with too much enemy influence. Hell, said SOI/influence may extend well beyond the bases that deep in enemy territory.

I don't mind SOE extending the out of bounds range over the ocean, but I feel it's going to be fairly pointless to bother fighting any good distance away from the front line.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-20 at 05:58 PM.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Yeah because people totally would just hang in the ocean avoiding combat all the time in Planetside
If people wanted to avoid combat, why wouldn't they just stay in the sanc? /facepalm
Old 2012-07-20, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

It's out of bounds because it's beta and they wanted everyone in one spot to test something.
Old 2012-07-20, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

In the first verson of the game you could Fly from one map to another.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Symmenix
Sergeant

Oh my god people, read the thread before you reply..

The same argument is going on over and over..
Old 2012-07-21, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
Send up your flying monkeys? Surely that's the same argument as the medic whining he can't splode a tank...?
AA not being able to take down aircrafts is the same as medic not being able to take out tanks? Yea, that makes sence...

Aircav is not always around, even if it is, it may not notice the bomber way up there (they are busy finding targets on the ground level afterall).

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
If they're really bombing from all the way up there they shouldn't be getting many kills; the drop time is long enough to get out of the way. Effective Lib bombers fly nap of the earth.
Since they don't drop bombs anymore, the projectile speed is much faster now.
If a bomber stops above a vehicle pad for example, he can get any number of kills before an aircav finally comes around.

Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
The tiny "warzone" in the E3 demo was temporary, but the one over the coastline wasn't. I really hope they do as they say and move it much further out. Stuff like that has no place in an open world game :/
I saw it last time in Hamma's video, that was way past E3 and actually SOE's own inside version of the game. The warning went up in the middle of the desert. It has nothing to do with map edges.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Firearms
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
AA not being able to take down aircrafts is the same as medic not being able to take out tanks? Yea, that makes sence...
I humbly apologise for my anology not being literal enough. I should have gone with if AT is out of range of a tank, send air support. No air support. Cry. Then send a tank.....
Old 2012-07-21, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

It has been said there are no oceans at launch because water looks ugly atm.
Old 2012-07-21, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by fvdham View Post
It has been said there are no oceans at launch because water looks ugly atm.
I don't think they were talking about oceans, but about rivers, lakes etc. being used within the main continents. We know there are oceans surrounding each continent, tnad they are going to expand the out of bounds area so that aircarft can fly over the oceans.
Old 2012-11-10, 01:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
SixShooter
Captain

I was looking for an 'out of bounds' thread to rez and this one seemed as good as any.

Anyhoo, I still think that this is one that needs revisiting since the edges of the maps still feel too closed in. I'm noticing it the most in the north on amerish since there are roads that outposts that border the no fly zone and it's super easy to drive out of bounds and have a hard time getting back.

I fully support having out of bounds areas in the foothold hex areas. Otherwise it really needs to be moved at least a half a kilometer off shore if not more. I would prefer giant mountains around the edges of the map as oppossed to artificial boundries.

Old 2012-11-10, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Hamma
PSU Admin

I agree it's still way to close in, especially in the northern part of Amerish.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion