More Interesting Goals/Objectives - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keyboard not found Press F1 to continue
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-28, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
oddfish
Colonel

Making the Game More Interesting

I've been toying with the concept of more Interesting Goals/Objectives for a while now. The idea in PS right now is to try to take as many facilities and towers as you can to try and take over an entire continent. This is all well and good but I think maybe it will start to get old after a while if that's all there ever is to do. Perhaps a good way to keep things interesting would be to introduce the concept of temporary dug-in positions. Like machine gun nests, or artillery emplacements.

Bear with me here:
Okay, for instance, say a new cert could be Gun Emplacements or Artillyer or Anti-infantry emplacements or Anti-Air emplacements. These emplacements would be temporary in the sense that they would, in fact, be immobile, but could be packed up and put in the back of a Galaxy or Lodestar. For instance you cert in Artillery Emplacements: now you have the ability to get an artillery piece that hitches up to the back of any combat capable ground vehicle you acquire. When you approach the ass end of a Galaxy it will ask you if you want to load the Artillery piece. You say yes, and it loads up for you. NOW, to unpack it from the Gal you can either hot drop it on a location or you can have a vehicle that's at the place you want to drop it pull the gun wherever you want to pull it and then set it up. Any infantry can USE the gun, but only certain people can acquire them. You aim it like you aim anything else but it has a small firing arc and must be turned in order to shoot in another location.

Now, Machine Gun emplacements would be much easier to transport. A guy would just have to fill a considerable chunk of his Inventory with a MG emplacement and then set it up (which would take a while) wherever he wanted to in the battlefield.

Now, i think this would make things a bit more interesting because then not EVERY battle would center around Bases and capping. Sometimes you'd have to send forces to take care of an artillery emplacement that was pounding the shit out of your forces.

THE CATCH is that you can't build this stuff inside a base's SOI. That way a base wouldn't become impervious to attack. Besides, bases have manable turrets already, so it's redundent.

I just think it'd be cool as all hell to have to scout an enemy Artillery position, or to have to send a platoon of tanks to take care of a Large Gunnery Emplacement. Seeing hotspots out AWAY from facilities every once in a blue moon is more interesting in my opinion. I also feel that this would reduce zerging by just a little. It would force people to strategize and plan around the possibility of Gun emplacements.

Also, this would reduce Tower zerging, i think. If you could set up a couple MG positions outside a tower so that a guy could haul ass out to it and open up on approaching infantry, i think that'd be great. The way to counteract this would be SIMPLE though, so a guy firing an MG wouldn't dominate. A sniper would have a field day with stuff like this. And, to counteract snipers, you'd have spotters! Artillery or MG spotters that could grab a pair of binoculars or something from approaching the MG nest or AT position and look out over the battlefield or enemies. He'd use the binoculars much in the way one uses the laser pointer now for the Flail.

Okay, now i know i'm going to hear: we already have the flail, why do we need more artillery? It's not that we need more artillery, we just need to have the ability to set up positions that don't need constant maintenance and attention. A flail has to have a driver. The AT pieces and MG nests don't have to have ANYONE nearby. They'll exist like CE exists. Static until someone comes by to use, provoke, or trigger them.

The flail is a mobile artillery piece. The AT i'm speaking of would be static until packed up and pulled along again. The MG's would have to be carried from position to postion.
Also, Ammunition demand would be great. So guys would make ammunition runs. This would give further use to the trunks on many vehicles. On occasion you'd have to send a guy to a base with a Deliverer to fill the trunk with Ammo for the Cannons or the MG. And how would you go about reloading these weapons. Well, you'd simply Stroll up to it, and one of those cute little yellow circly things would appear at your feet and you'd stand there and the option to reload would appear and you'd do just that. The dialogue box would be as follows. You approach a machine gun and press G to use it, but if you want to do something OTHER than fix it you press whatever other key you designate as the key for that and you get a box that asks Would you like to: [Pack Up] [Reload] [Deconstruct]. You click on one of these responses and you'll do just that.

Also, these weapons would not be common pool! Here's the deal. The different weapon styles are as follows:

Artillery:
NC - Thunder Artillery Piece - Fires a large high explosive shell that does a shitload of splash damage. Good for heavy bombardment.
TR - RainMaker AT Piece - Fires a large cluster shell that explodes over the ground and rains down a dozen smaller shells that damage a greater area but do less damage per hit. Good for saturation.
VS - Starfire AT Piece - Fires a large cannister that detonates about 5 feet above the ground in a kind of huge Lasher orb. The blast radius of the orb itself is rather small but does a LOT of damage, meanwhile the orb itself lashes out just like the HA weapon to do damage to nearby targets as well. The difference is that most of the damage is focused in the orb itself. Good for precision strikes. When packed up it hovers much like the thresher.

Anti Aircraft:
NC - FlakScatter - Fires shells not unlike those of the Skyguard, only difference is that the FlakScatter doesn't fire them in rapid succession, it fires the shots one at a time and you actually can control when they burst. The flak will do a lot of damage per shell but you've got to be able to burst 'em close and be a little accurate to do damage.
TR - Heavy Gattler - Four 3 barrel 20mm AA Guns fill the air with bullets. The guns themselves have relatively high rates of fire but the four of them together LOAD the air with bullets. The problem is, of course, accuracy. The weapon is stationary and essentially anchored to the ground but the vibration caused by the barrels reduces accuracy by a slight degree. The idea is to just put as much lead in the air as possible. The individual rounds will do very little damage, but getting caught in a wave of them would be a bad thing.
VS - Electrasor - The idea behind the VS AA weapon is to keep a bead on your target. You use the AA piece's targetting sight to place a kind of laser dot on the target air vehicle, you then wait for acquisition and the gun fires a nasty bolt of energy at the Aircraft in question. The laser dot is actually a kind of electron beam that places a concentration of electrons on the target which attract the Electrasor's energy projectile. The lock on should almost always guarantee a hit, and a hit from one of these things should be close to devastating. When packed up, it hovers much like the thresher.

Machine Gun Nest:
NC - Just a simple high capacity long range and a bit less accurate per shot Gauss Machine gun. It doesn't fire as fast as the TR Machine Gun but does more damage per shot and is a bit more accurate at longer ranges. Can't carry as much ammo though. Uses new Machine Gun rounds, in both Anti-armor and Standard.
TR - The firing rate of the MCG, but with much better accuracy. This three long-barrled machine gun is meant to saturate a medium range area with lead. It will run out of ammunition a little more quickly than the other weapons, but the ammount of damage it can do before then is amazing. Also uses new Machine Gun rounds in both Anti-armor and standard.
VS - Like a pulsar only better. More accurate at longer ranges than both the TR MG and the NC MG. The main thing here is that the VS MG is much slower firing that the NC and TR versions. It sacrifices speed for acuracy. Uses energy ammo just like the rest of the VS stuff. It can switch between Anti-personnel and Anti-armor mode just like all the other VS weaponry.

plz read next submission before replying, thank you

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.

Last edited by oddfish; 2004-04-28 at 08:52 AM.
Old 2004-04-28, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
oddfish
Colonel

Okay, that's what i came up with. This may not be to everyone or ANYone's liking for that matter, but, i thought maybe it would add to the interest of some of the battles. PLUS, some of the open ground on certain continents would finally be used for something besides getting your tank or deliverer stuck. I just think that there's an awful lot of ground in PS that never gets more than a passing glance when someone's flying over or zooming by. There's just way too much Planetside that's not being used. I think adding these new Temporary Emplacements makes for the possibility of stretching out the playing field. The emplacements won't need any attention when they're not being used, so you can just leave them where they are and deconstruct them when you want, just like a vehicle, only you'd have to go up to them to decon them. Also, you could only personnaly set an Artillery piece up ever half hour or something like that. MG nests would be something like 10-15 minutes. This way there wouldn't be a thousand of those damned things sitting out everywhere.

The cert for these emplacements would require Engineering. Then you'd be able to set up MG's. For the AA and Artillery sites, you'd have to have both Engineering and Ground Transport, or Light Recon, or Harasser, or Assault Buggy.

Okay. Now, also, the person using these emplacements would have the protection ONLY provided by behing behind the weapon they're using. No additional armor is given to infantry who control these devices. ANYone can reload an MG or AT or AA emplacment. ANYone with Engineering can repair an MG, AT, or AA emplacement. BUT, not just ANYone can USE these emplacments. To prevent NOOBS from hosing down positions with the Artillery pieces, only BR7 and higher can use Artillery. AA and MG positions are free for all, but AA has a prerequisite of BR7 or higher.

Also, the emplacements themselves are pretty well armored and protected. In order to keep them from being like paper, they have considereable armor. That way one asshat with a phoenix or flying a reaver or cruisng by in a lightning can't hammer the shit out of an Artillery position by himself. And, if properly defended, that should never happen. Abandoned sites will be easy to take out, though. Hooray for a new reason to use spitfires and mines.

I think this concept is good because it creates all kinds of new objectives and situations without diminishing the quality of the game. All vehicles and infantry and MAXes are still necessary. MAXes would be very effective against these posistions because of how mobile they are. Vehicles would be especially effective. Aircraft would have to worry about the AA emplacements but that's necessary. Infantry would take on the roll of both attacking the new emplacements or defending and resupplying the emplacements. I think this idea is a good one because it opens up the playing field. It gives players even more options than they already have.

New strategies would arise from this, and perhaps some better leadeship would come of this new implementation. Now you have to think ahead. Now you have to deploy defenses or immobile assault support. Preparing for an the coming onslaught or getting ready for the big invasion will never be the same. I think that this idea is a good one. I'm sure it has it's flaws, and i'm sure that there may be some reasons why it won't work. BUT, i've gone over it in my head a dozen times now and i think that the concept should work. There's no reason it shouldn't.

If you have any ideas on how to improve this idea, please post.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 06:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
easypickings
Corporal

really well written there, sounds like an amazing idea.
one question can they be hacked ?? maybe just by an advance hacker or something ?

you should send it to the devs as you've come up with a great idea there mate
Old 2004-04-28, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
oddfish
Colonel

Originally Posted by easypickings
really well written there, sounds like an amazing idea.
one question can they be hacked ?? maybe just by an advance hacker or something ?

you should send it to the devs as you've come up with a great idea there mate
you wouldn't need to hack the MG's but the Artillery and AA yeah, i think they'd need hacked.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Oh yes! I love this idea!!!!! I love Artillery!!!!

Only one minor question. how do you solve acurrate targetting for Artillery? Will there be some sort of remote viewing for the gunner?

Like in Battlefield 1942 with the scout providing a view of the target?
Simply a marker showing up on the map where the shell has fallen?
Or a radio report stating the cordinate of the place the shell fell, and the correction adjustment needed to hit the highlighted target?

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-04-28, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
oddfish
Colonel

Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Oh yes! I love this idea!!!!! I love Artillery!!!!

Only one minor question. how do you solve acurrate targetting for Artillery? Will there be some sort of remote viewing for the gunner?

Like in Battlefield 1942 with the scout providing a view of the target?
Simply a marker showing up on the map where the shell has fallen?
Or a radio report stating the cordinate of the place the shell fell, and the correction adjustment needed to hit the highlighted target?
like how someone can pull a laser pointer from the Flail. you can grab Optics and a radio from the artillery. Then, you press somthing like /a to open a chat to the guy whom you've just AT'd up with. or maybe it'd work just like the laser for the flail, i dunno. i'll have to figure that one out.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

But how does the current flail and laser designator work?

I don't have CC so im not so sure.

Does the gunner of the flail "see" the target when it has been laser designated, so that he/she can see where the energy-rounds are hitting? Or do the laser designator just highlight something that needs to be hit, and the gunner has to guess where the shell will fall, and try with "trial & Error"?

I think the renote viewing is the best, everyone would love to see if they are hitting the target right, and likes to see the destruction they are doing.
But that might cause some lag,
perhaps indication of where the shell has fallen shows up on your map, plus perhaps you will see some markers on your HUD that you will have to alight with to get the correct angle and direction when a target is lasered?
And if you on about artillery, can't we have some self-propelled artillery and maybe perhaps some Mobile multi-Launch Rocket systems?

British as90 Braveheart

Israel RASCAL

American MLR

American MLR with ATACMS Block I missile

Smerch 9K58

We need some Steel Rain Grid-Square Denier!!

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2004-04-28 at 07:29 AM.
Old 2004-04-28, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
oddfish
Colonel

that's all mobile artillery..

ugh. this is not due to an artillery obsession, this is due to the fact that i think I, and many others, am getting tired of ALWAYS fighting over the same shit every night.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by oddfish
that's all mobile artillery..

ugh. this is not due to an artillery obsession, this is due to the fact that i think I, and many others, am getting tired of ALWAYS fighting over the same shit every night.
Yes, it does get boring. But i've been having too much fun with mobile artillery in BF42 Desert Combat mod. oh well. You must admit that is awe inspiring.

It does have a phychological effect on enemies, seeing these sheets of rockets tumbling down.....

Anyway, your basic idea of Artillery is good, even if it is semi-mobile none self propelled type.

Old 2004-04-28, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Real Mulambo
Corporal

Jolly Good

Sounds a bit good all of those suggestions.

Bet we don't see them though
Old 2004-04-28, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
oddfish
Colonel

Originally Posted by Real Mulambo
Jolly Good

Sounds a bit good all of those suggestions.

Bet we don't see them though
well, it would be nice. it'd add some much needed variety to the current slate of objectives.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by oddfish
Perhaps a good way to keep things interesting would be to introduce the concept of temporary dug-in positions. Like machine gun nests, or artillery emplacements.

Something like in this thread?

Old 2004-04-28, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
oddfish
Colonel

no, because that includes things like hardened bunkers

i'm referring to TEMPORARY stuff. things that can exist or not in an area and it would be just the same to say have vehicles there or something to that respect. I don't think having concrete bunkers and things like that strewn about the landscape is a good idea. I think that having AT and MG nests that are distributed by the players makes the game more interesting.

For the love of god no more permanent stationary emplacements to zerg over. Temporary. That way that can change with the game.

My Blog
Old 2004-04-28, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
drsomewhere
First Sergeant

Love it

= Crack addict
Old 2004-04-28, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
oddfish
Colonel

Originally Posted by drsomewhere
Love it

love what? the pic, or my idea?

My Blog
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion