More Interesting Goals/Objectives - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: practice safe sex, go screw your self
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-28, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by oddfish
love what? the pic, or my idea?
Its definately the pictures. Don't you just big guns? mmmm....

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Hezzy
Contributor
General

Sounds pretty good
Old 2004-04-28, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
oddfish
Colonel

DOUBLE POST!! BAN PLZ!!!111

Um, posting becuase i want to reemphasize the fact that this Artillery and MG emplacement stuff is in NO WAY supposed to become permanent additions to the continents in any way. They're just as moveable and removeable as vehicles and what not. Only difference is you have to deploy them like a flail or switchblade. The further difference is their versatility which makes them very much UNlike a flail or switchblade. These sites are immobile when deployed: READ ABOVE TO LEARN MORE.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Erm....stationary artillery or bunkers is a no no no.

Like Oddfishy said, they would be over run and become useless like trurrets.
anyhow how can you put a 75mm as an artillery piece? That not artillery! You need at leased 100mm to 155mm. Artillery is known for its large blast-radius, its so heavy to be used in front-on-attacks that large calibre howitzers sit behind the lines...

He's talking about semi-mobile field artillery and AA, that has to be towed away but essentially mobile. Thus during battle the line of artillery and AA emplacement can be strategically moved to adapt to the battle situation.

DOUBLE POST!! BAN PLZ!!!111
as for that...where? Who? I don't see anyone double posting...

Oh hang on. that's you.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2004-04-28 at 10:20 AM.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

no, because that includes things like hardened bunkers

i'm referring to TEMPORARY stuff. things that can exist or not in an area and it would be just the same to say have vehicles there or something to that respect. I don't think having concrete bunkers and things like that strewn about the landscape is a good idea. I think that having AT and MG nests that are distributed by the players makes the game more interesting.

For the love of god no more permanent stationary emplacements to zerg over. Temporary. That way that can change with the game.
Um.....they are temporary. No where in any part of the thread or images did I suggest they were permanent...that's the whole idea around 'deployable' emplacements. We're talking about the same thing, mate.

edit: unless of course you're talking specifically about towable weapons or something deployable and undeployable from your inventory, then I would agree with you there too, since I have wanted those as well.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-04-28 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2004-04-28, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Hayoo
edit: unless of course you're talking specifically about towable weapons or something deployable and undeployable from your inventory, then I would agree with you there too, since I have wanted those as well.
You don't want self-propelled Artillery either?

Old 2004-04-28, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
You don't want self-propelled Artillery either?

Of course I do. *hands handkerchief* I'd like all of these elements to have their place in the game.

Old 2004-04-28, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

How about multi-launch Rocket systems?

Personally i think they would be far too over-powering and think they should be limited to empire specifics, but besides al lthese artillery thre are alot of possible military vehicles that could be place in Planetside to make oh so much enjoyable....

Old 2004-04-28, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
scarpas
Captain

not bad.
Old 2004-04-28, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
easypickings
Corporal

HAYOO
that looks fantastic, both the isea's should be putin, they both look and sound great.
Old 2004-04-29, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
oddfish
Colonel

Hmm.. i think perhaps it would be pretty interesting to maybe have more than just ONE pillbox outside a base like we have now. Like the one's in Hayoo's pics. The little concrete stations where you can switch out the weaponry they handle. Those are interesting in their own right.

But, what I think is more important right now is to open up the playing field so that not every battle is based around a facility or base or tower. Seeing a fight taking place in the hills or in a forest over a really good artillery postion would be awesome every now and again. The best thing about implementing semi-mobile artillery positions is that it makes the war more realistic. The battles would take place all over the map, not just in centralized locations. That way, when a continent pop locks, half it's population isn't zerging the back door at a Tech Facility. Ugh. I hate that.

I just think that it opens up more jobs for players. It gives certain players the oportunity to attack a less fortified structure than a base or tower. Plus, open field combat makes it damn near impossible to zerg. It's more fun too because it's not that eye-twitch style of combat you get in Quake, it's more long range and more strategic. Two deliverers full of infantry pulling a spec op raid on a Artillery emplacement is a sweet idea. It's fun. That's what this game is supposed to be: FUN. I just think that these TEMPORARY emplacements add a variability to the game that isn't there now. Zerg the Tower, Zerg the Wall, Kill the Turrets, Haul an AMS, Zerg the Front door, Zerg the Back door, Blow the Spawn room or Blow the Gen, Hack the CC, wait 15 minutes, Get your CE or BE and do it all over again. That just gets old i think. Now, if you had to send small parties of infantry to take out an AT emplacement ever so often then it could get interesting. Less people zerging, more people PLAYING.

Now, this lends to some more interesting communication as well. CR5's will /Cont All to ask for a squad or platoon to take out AT emplacments, not just bark random orders like: "GET AN AMS TO GUNUKU, FAST"... or "CAEN needs an ANT soon. Someone get on it." That stuff gets old. If a CR5 every once in a while said: "Hey, we need artillery set up north of <base name here>. Blah blah, get on it quick." That'd make the game much more interesting. New missions. New missions. New reasons to play.

Now, as for those who set up the MG nests and AT and AA positions, this is gonna be fun and frantic as hell! First, MG nests scattered here and there allow for players to defend themselves when running from base to base if they find themselves in that predicament. Say someone drops an MG nest on a hill really far south of the tower you're headed too and all of a sudden you're being chased by deliverer? If it doesn't mow you and you evade the machine guns, you can get in the nest and hose it down the MG fire. Now, sure, it can still shoot you, but at least you've got a better chance of survival than you did before. Maybe that's not the best example, but it's just one of many reasons why deployable weapon emplacements would be a good addition.

Ok, furthermore, AT positions. This is a measure in squad tactics and efficiency. Artillery will have it's own ammunition supply, but will run, mind you. Those shells don't last forever. SO, this will bring about something called: AMMO RUNS. We have ANT runs, and AMS runs. We need Ammo runs. Now, you've got to have a vehicle with a sizeable trunk on hand to run and get ammunition for the AT stations. That ammo can be picked up at a vehicle rearm terminal or an Equip Console or AMS Equip Station. You toss it in your, or your vehicle's inventory and head back to the AT position to reload. These ammo crates will be the biggest item availible to fit in your inventory, so you'll have to make sacrafices. It makes the game more interesting. More strategic. Plus, you've got to defend these postions: CE and what not isn't always the key. Spitfires can't save everyone. So, you've got to drop a couple MG nests, have a stock of infantry, perhaps an AMS just in case. You also may want to toss in a couple AA positions. Sure, these weapons can be destroyed, but so can any other weapon in the game. They're sitting ducks? Not at all. Sure, the positions are immobile, but the solution to that is the positions wield a shitload of firepower. A couple AA guns, two or three MG nests, some spitfires, mines, an AMS, and about Six AT guns is a pretty sturdy emplacement. Throw in a platoon of infantry and a couple deliverers and you're dug in deep and anyone who attacks you is gonna have to work his ass off to oust you from your position.

Furthermore, Squad and Platoon leaders and Outfit leaders are going to have to determine how much of their forces they want to dedicate to taking down these postions. Should they all go, send a squad, send a few guys, send half the damn Outfit? Decisions, Decisions. Again, it makes the game more interesting. Those in command can't just have their guys zerg a base and get the CEP anymore. Now, you've got to WORK for your CEP. If you need BEP attacking one of these positions will afford quite a bit for you. NOW, if you just want to play for fun, don't care about BEP or CEP or are already BR20 then having the variety of being able to attack these positions will make the game more interesting for you. And, in the dev's interest to keep players playing and attract more, then it may be wise to include this concept, since it yields variety and excitement. I dunno. This just sounds like the plan to me.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-04-29, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

The little concrete stations where you can switch out the weaponry they handle.
Just so everyone knows, the emplacements in those low-poly drawings aren't concrete, but made of dirt and sandbags. CE's would be allowed to create up to 3 emplacements at a time that anyone can man. Create a 4th however, and the first deconstructs. Once the weaponry or equipment inside the emplacement is destroyed, the foxhole part deconstructs after a few minutes. Emplacements are prohibited from being placed too close together or directly on roads or in base entrances...I'm tempted to say they can't be placed in an SOI, but that's debatable.

Excellent thread, oddfish, and that's exactly the kind of desire for field battles that compelled me to work on these emplacements. I would like both dug-in weaponry and towable weapons for this game since they compliment one another.

Old 2004-04-29, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
EarlyDawn
Major General

You ever gonna update that or make a complete listing of the emplacements, Hayoo? That gets my vote as my favorite of all the idea lab concepts.
Old 2004-04-29, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
CorDharel
Corporal

I really like both ideas. Prospect to you oddfish for your thoughts.

Your idea would be cool, but I question if this would really split the zerg. I would suggest to do another thing than hacking, cause it's IMO too much like hacking a base. Perhaps something like an LLU what you have to take from a base and to this "bunkerstation" (or whatever you call it) to take the control about it. But also the idea of refilling the ammo is interesting.

I also like the other idea, the one from the pic. It would give the empty continents more live. Teams could study new tactics.

In both cases, the "bunkers" should have new guns or options, not just gun turrets like the towers. For example a turret that can shoot bombs every 10 seconds or so...

I would also like to see a these "bunkers" and the option that you can build up something there. This would be like in a strategic game like warcraft, you could build own walls/turrets/bunkers/whatever. I want to say that it would be a cool idea to see that the nme is coming in the next 10-20 minutes and you can send a scout to look what enemies and build the "bunkers" like they had to be. People would love to defend their own created places IMO.

"Scout what enemies are there?"

"Uhm, seems like the big things are troops and tanks"

"okay, guy1, you build up a machinegun turret for the troops. guy2, build stop-walls that they have problems to come forward. guy3, build a bomb turret for the tanks."

Scout: "Get in position, they are coming!!!"

"Alright guys, lets show them what we got MUAHAHAHAA"

RATATATATATATTATAATTATAAA.....

I hope i could show you what I mean
Old 2004-04-29, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
You ever gonna update that or make a complete listing of the emplacements, Hayoo? That gets my vote as my favorite of all the idea lab concepts.
Yes, eventually I'll have that section up and illustrated.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion