More Interesting Goals/Objectives - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What? Ten quotes an hour? Stop suppressing me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-04-29, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
TheRegurgitator
Major

I love it, and for the binoculars idea, how about when you press fire while looking at a location it puts the coordinates in the chat bar in a broadcast sent to all artillery on the continent, and you have to type a little message explaining target along with the coordinates.

This would be a good time to put in the coordinate system, have some large square areas. Then inside each square area is a 10x10 block of small areas each about 1/4 the size of a base courtyard, or the size of a tower SOI. The artillery gunner types switches to secondary fire, fires which opens up a little box where the gunner puts in the coordinates, presses ok, switches to primary, places the reticle over the targeting thing, and fires, shabam a targeting system. Pretty complex but it could work. And seem kinda cool.
Old 2004-04-29, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
EarlyDawn
Major General

You know. Looking back, I think my top two requests for Planetside that would make my game that much more enjoyable would be better communications/command structure on every level (Globally, platoon, Task forces, ect) and emplacements.
Old 2004-04-29, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

You know, towable vehicles would be hard to impliment in the game, because they would have to modify the vehicles that could tow them.

It would be better and more easier to make the Artillery units like the flail, deployable self-propelled. unable to fire while moving....
As for the binocular idea, i like it. But instead of adding an extra object, we could put that same report firing coordinates by people who have the ZOOM Magnification Implant.
Which would work just as well.
I still preferr some sort of manual aiming system via hub. Typing anything does take away a degree of skill.
I was thinking that two Scales X & Y Axis appear in the retical area and you will have to move the retical up & down until you alighted the cross with two highlighted markers shown on the X & Y scales which appear at the correct values given by a spotter. This means even if the spotter is killed, an artillery gunner can remember what the values were to hit a target at that distance. A experienced artillery gunner would be able to judge roughly which height to put the gun at for a given range to target area without having a spotter giving a firing solution first.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.

Last edited by Onizuka-GTO; 2004-04-29 at 08:34 PM.
Old 2004-04-29, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Okeedok, I scoured the internet today for images similar to what I envision emplacements to be:

Machinegun nest from Battlefield Vietnam.

This machinegun nest is from an Operation Flashpoint Mod.

OpFlash Mod machinegun nest

OpFlash Mod camoed emplacement

OpFlash Mod AA gun emplacement

OpFlash Mod tent, similar to the type of temporary stucture I envision used for the med station, supply post, command post, and other shelter-based emplacements, but with sandbagging around it.

Another OpFlash Mod tent, this one a medic post.

Typically, an engineer or two would set these up along a treeline, ridgeline, edge of a plain, along a crossroad, opposite a bridge, outside a base SOI, around a tower, arranged in a firebase pattern, any place a defensive point is needed. Fellow troops would be able to run up and man these like a base turret until the equipment is destroyed, then the sandbag cover would deconstruct.

Hope that explains it better and why I posted this in support of oddfish's ideas.

Old 2004-04-30, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
oddfish
Colonel

Hayoo, that's essentially what i'm going for except i think the MG nests would be more compact so they'd be deployable from inside a Rexo armor inventory. And, it shouldn't take much to change coding to make it so Deliverers and Buggies could haul AA and AT guns. As far as cover is concerned, i like the idea of the deployable sandbags that you had, but i'm just not sure how you'd go about implementing it. First, i think metal boxes or something more PlanetSide then sandbags.. just a suggestion. Other than that, the whole concept is good. I just think it's necessary to use some of the extra space we've got provided for us on the continents..

by the way, Hayoo, i think you and i should network our ideas on this. we may be able to provide some good stuff for the devs..

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2004-04-30, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by oddfish
Hayoo, that's essentially what i'm going for except i think the MG nests would be more compact so they'd be deployable from inside a Rexo armor inventory.
Do you mean like a heavy machinegun with a tripod? Is the gunner's cover included as well? Interesting idea if it does. Is it like an unfolding cover or does it materialize once the weapon is deployed? Or is it more like a mini base-turret that unfolds and you can sit in?

And, it shouldn't take much to change coding to make it so Deliverers and Buggies could haul AA and AT guns.
I hope it wouldn't take too much coding cause I'd love towable weapons. I have designs/ideas for several that can be towed by Deliverers and buggies like yours.

As far as cover is concerned, i like the idea of the deployable sandbags that you had, but i'm just not sure how you'd go about implementing it. First, i think metal boxes or something more PlanetSide then sandbags.. just a suggestion.
Yup, I've been working on ways to make these look more futuristic to match Planetside's setting, some concepts look like bags, others more like boxes, still putting the designs through their paces.

I just think it's necessary to use some of the extra space we've got provided for us on the continents..
I couldn't agree more. I think emplacements and towed weapons would be ideal incentives for more field battles. An additional way is having areas of control or defensless points of interest out beyond the bases, such as I suggested in this thread on PSU:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=21866

and also my post near the bottom of page 1 on this OF thread:
http://psforums.station.sony.com/ps/...ssage.id=15054

you and i should network our ideas on this.
I'm game.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-04-30 at 08:39 PM.
Old 2004-04-30, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
oddfish
Colonel

hayoo. this is bad ass. all i have to say is i hope this shit appears.

My Blog
[20:19] <Phobos> oddfish: Glad to see you, now help me move this dead body.
Old 2007-06-13, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Terrangrunt19
Private

Re: More Interesting Goals/Objectives

i hink artinllery iz kewl butt it wud be hard 2 implment.
Old 2007-09-12, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Scow2
Private

Re: More Interesting Goals/Objectives

I love the idea of mobile battlefields and trench warfare. However, I think that the artillery should be self propelled, because towed artillery went obsolete how many centuries ago? WWII? And they should be able to be deployed in SOI's, no real reason not to, the added defensive capabilies countered by the additional offensive capabilities. Make the artillary faction-specific, each with its own equivalent, balanced against its counterparts. This is the future, after all, and not 1913, which seems to be the desired tech level. The balance would . Let the heavier equipment hacked, and the MG nests just be comandeered by the other faction when unattended. Overall, I really support this idea.

Last edited by Scow2; 2007-09-12 at 12:39 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion