Does anyone else think that bases need to be redesigned? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude... Where's my Harasser?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-10, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Takoita
Private

Re: Does anyone else think that bases need to be redesigned?

YES! A hundered times yes!

But it looks like all we are gonna get is some slapdash 'temporary' fix like spawn shack redesign or those dome shields...
Old 2013-07-10, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Crator
Major General

The problem with making bases more defensible is that they cause stalemates. It happens right now at Biolabs. There needs to be varying degrees of defensibility per type of base in the correct locations on the map. Think PS1 Biolab (gen on top of roof) vs. Interlink (gen/cc/spawns hard to reach).
Old 2013-07-10, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

REDESIGN ? Hell yes. More than that is needed.

I still think PS2 Devs have thus far missed a Great Game improvement mechanism:

MODULAR BASES.

Make it so the Devs can cut & paste from dozens of different building/base configurations. Break bases into comparmentalized sections that the devs can swap-out & switch from time-to-time.

This way, they can alter the layout & flow of bases from just perhaps some different stairwell placements - to the entire internal flow of the base being close to 100% tweaked. They can slowly build dozens & dozens of different section that they can cut & paste and paste in and out of any base to change the look, flow, and location of terms, SCUs, door, stairs, .......

Hell, rotate the damn base 90 degrees quarterly. That alone should alter fights to varying degrees.

Repetitive environments - lead to repetitive game mechanics - leads to BOREDOM.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post

Repetitive environments - lead to repetitive game mechanics - leads to BOREDOM.

By that statement planetside 1 should of had us bored after 6 months but it ain't true. I agree they need redesigning but i would also vouch for a TTK reduction so our survivability is increased.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Oh HELL YES to adjusting the TTK.

PS1 did become boring (repetitive). By the end of my 2nd year playing it was the SAME style battle(s) over & over & over & over at the same bases, with the same choke points, the same back-hacks, ..... it was a GREAT GAME, but this MODULAR BASE DESIGN would have greatly benefitted PS1.

(at least we had Cont Lock in PS1 - that "felt" like a bit of a Win or VICTORY .... like you accomplished SOMETHING for your time sticking with a fight......

They can come up with ways to keep PS2 fresh or at least try to reduce/minimize redundant game mechanics.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-07-10 at 12:51 PM.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
By that statement planetside 1 should of had us bored after 6 months but it ain't true. I agree they need redesigning but i would also vouch for a TTK reduction so our survivability is increased.
Quite right.

I'd argue that base designs that are simple and allow the players to learn them easily, allow the choke points to be lknown and allow the counters to the choke points also to be known will increase tactics and 'smarter' play.

Presently there is too much of run-run-run-run-die|kill-run-run-run. They've certainly increased the speed of the gameplay by adding in a lot more running. The fighting part is slower though.
Old 2013-07-10, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OctavianAXFive
Staff Sergeant

Threads about base design are like fly lights to me.

Must

Resist

Long post

Base design

In need

Must hit submit before...

rant.
Old 2013-07-11, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shogun
Contributor
General

ps2 is a totally broken game and gameplay sucks big time.

the basedesign is the major problem that causes this (apart from the missing planetary game)

as long as the devs don´t rebuild that crappy bases from scratch, i don´t feel any urge to play it any more. and i was so keen on getting a new planetside that i bought a gaming rig just for ps2! but the game is a single letdown with no sign of a light at the end of the tunnel.

new base layout from scratch is the necessary start to fix this game. no workaround whatsoever will help! next necessary step is drastic increase of ttk and a proper balance pass.
but since none of these steps will be taken, the game is dead.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-07-11, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
ps2 is a totally broken game and gameplay sucks big time.

the basedesign is the major problem that causes this (apart from the missing planetary game)

as long as the devs don´t rebuild that crappy bases from scratch, i don´t feel any urge to play it any more. and i was so keen on getting a new planetside that i bought a gaming rig just for ps2! but the game is a single letdown with no sign of a light at the end of the tunnel.

new base layout from scratch is the necessary start to fix this game. no workaround whatsoever will help! next necessary step is drastic increase of ttk and a proper balance pass.
but since none of these steps will be taken, the game is dead.
The game isn't dead. Players are playing, some stick with the game, some move on, it's perfectly normal. SOE is making money, the game is being constantly updated (for better or for worse) but the game is far from dead, and just maybe SOE will at one point start catering to the needs of players who want more than running and gunning while farming certs.

They will implement continent locking, and I believe that in a year from now PS2 will begin reaching its full potential. Yes, the F2P model has its many drawbacks and it's one of the reasons for the game taking so long to mature, but I can't say it's a bad move (I myself haven't payed a dime for the game and I play it and enjoy it an awful lot). But, because it's F2P, they need to constantly dish out new meaningless cosmetics and similar stuff, actual content/gameplay development takes a lot more time and effort yet SOE needs to earn money.
And if I didn't live in such a shitty country, I'd at least get a subscription but right now the price of a 1 month membership is 1/15 of the average monthly salary in my country. So the best I can do to "help" is participate in forum discussions while trying to be as objective in my opinions as I can, hoping that the devs are monitoring them (and I'm sure they are to some extent).
Old 2013-07-11, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
typhaon
Sergeant Major

Yes. But... SOE keeps slapping ducktape and glue over already broken bases.

^Shield domes are the latest version.
Old 2013-07-11, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by blashyrk View Post
The game isn't dead. Players are playing, some stick with the game, some move on, it's perfectly normal. SOE is making money, the game is being constantly updated (for better or for worse) but the game is far from dead, and just maybe SOE will at one point start catering to the needs of players who want more than running and gunning while farming certs.

They will implement continent locking, and I believe that in a year from now PS2 will begin reaching its full potential. Yes, the F2P model has its many drawbacks and it's one of the reasons for the game taking so long to mature, but I can't say it's a bad move (I myself haven't payed a dime for the game and I play it and enjoy it an awful lot). But, because it's F2P, they need to constantly dish out new meaningless cosmetics and similar stuff, actual content/gameplay development takes a lot more time and effort yet SOE needs to earn money.
And if I didn't live in such a shitty country, I'd at least get a subscription but right now the price of a 1 month membership is 1/15 of the average monthly salary in my country. So the best I can do to "help" is participate in forum discussions while trying to be as objective in my opinions as I can, hoping that the devs are monitoring them (and I'm sure they are to some extent).

What country is that ?? BTW, your English is better than most people in my country (USA).

Old 2013-07-11, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post

What country is that ?? BTW, your English is better than most people in my country (USA).

Thanks for the compliment .
I'm from Serbia. And I did exaggerate a little it's more like 1/20 but you get the idea
Old 2013-07-11, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SternLX
Sergeant

Originally Posted by blashyrk View Post
Thanks for the compliment .
I'm from Serbia. And I did exaggerate a little it's more like 1/20 but you get the idea
Serbia!? man I'm glad you play VS, that whole Bosnia/Serbia thing was messy. /offtopic

I've pitched a few ideas for base redesigns in the past. Gave up. Devs will do what the Devs will do. It's their baby after all. Don't get me wrong. I'm still having fun since day one.
Old 2013-07-15, 02:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
EVILoHOMER
Major

I've just had enough, haven't bothered to play since posting this, my friend gave up too, his main problem was you cannot defend bases because they're not fun to, you just get spawn camped. In fact he just kept complaining about spawn camping and got pissed off and quit.

I think the base designs are the worst, I don't get how they can be so massive and get have no substance to them what so ever. The new island SOE is doing doesn't fill me with hope either, it just makes me think they will go to doing battlegrounds and the "world" pvp will be dead.

I personally want to see base sieges that have stages like Mount and Blade or those assault UT4 maps. So say you have a linear map that is a straight line of main bases and then you have little out posts and things off to the side. Each base has giant walls you have to breach and then once you're in there it's like a Russian doll, you have to keep going through the layers until you capture a main point.

Planetside was a bit like this in it's base design where Planetside 2 is far too open, the attackers feel as much at home in your base as you do.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2013-07-15 at 03:01 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 03:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SpectreNova
Private

I have been lobbying for a complete base overhaul since beta, as have many others. As of right now, every base in the game suffers from poor base design. Spawn rooms are above ground, separated from primary facility & capping point.

Once vehicles & air surround spawn room the base is compromised. In Planetside 1, vehicular combat was only the first stage of capturing a base. Once the exterior of a base had been secured, you had to fight your way within the interior to cap the base. Allowing infantry combat to flourish.

Originally Posted by typhaon View Post
Yes. But... SOE keeps slapping ducktape and glue over already broken bases.

^Shield domes are the latest version.
Couldn't agree more. Its SOE's lazy fix instead of creating underground networks/facilities. The dome shields are a horrible idea. The sooner they just commit to fixing base design the better off PS2 will be.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion