News: Smed on PlanetSide 2 Beta - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: KHAAAAN!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-30, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Re: Smed on PlanetSide 2 Beta

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
I wasn't asking for beta. Its way too soon for beta. What we do need is some sock-blowing massive warfare demonstration to entice the females from COD (and a few of the males aswell; the hot ones).
Try zoosk dating for the meantime, I wanna see a well polished game that will be as alive 8 years from now as the first day it is released.
Old 2011-07-30, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Agreed. I'd rather see SOE show up all the naysayers and put out a truely epic game. PS1 was in a way a cult classic. People STILL don't know about it. The real issue here is that PC gaming has taken a back seat. It used to be PC games were the tits magee of gaming. The consoles didn't come close, now we are in the world of "make it for PS3 Xbox, Wii, N64, Dreamcast, and NES... Then make siitty PC port". It used to be the otherway around. The good games were shitty ports to consoles.

One of the best announcements in gaming in a while (for me anyways) was that DICE was building BF3 for PC gamers first and consoles second. Its really too bad someone hasn't just marketed a "PC console" that had a mouse and keyboard, OS designed to run the games, and a modular design so you could upgrade it every few years. Sell the thing for 6-7 hundred and wipe the floor with the normal consoles. Perhapse microsoft will do that for the next-box.
Old 2011-07-30, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by raw View Post
<--- angry customer face
Okay no, you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to say you want beta and you want it now while qualifying that you want release to be as far away as possible because it'd likely equate to a better game.
Old 2011-07-30, 09:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
The real issue here is that PC gaming has taken a back seat. It used to be PC games were the tits magee of gaming. The consoles didn't come close, now we are in the world of "make it for PS3 Xbox, Wii, N64, Dreamcast, and NES... Then make siitty PC port". It used to be the otherway around. The good games were shitty ports to consoles.
There is hope my brother.

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blog...its-pc-gaming/

Edit: Damn I meant to edit, not make a new post.
Old 2011-07-30, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by cashfoyogash View Post
Try zoosk dating for the meantime, I wanna see a well polished game that will be as alive 8 years from now as the first day it is released.
Was a refrence to the fem chars thread, but do people actually use those dating site things? Isn't that like "welfare romance"? lol
Old 2011-07-30, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Mod
Master Sergeant

Because the development of good, so they want to do something more, in fact, a lot of games have been developed, they will come to the end of August to discuss with us the depth of the U.S. on-line program and China's localization. Please be patient, give us some time early next year, the United States at the line. We hope not too long China can also on-line.
The above quote is taken from Tony Parks blog (And obviously translated by Google ). I believe it is in relation to PS2 as it was in response to the following:

hello, one would like to ask the "Star OL2" in the year when we can open the test?
Not really sure what it really means but thought it worth just putting here for anyone to read anyway. Try to make some sense of it if you like or just ignore it
Old 2011-07-30, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Okay no, you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to say you want beta and you want it now while qualifying that you want release to be as far away as possible because it'd likely equate to a better game.
Nah, I just want beta asap, don't mind waiting a year for release if I'm playing for that year.

No sense in pretending, comes off as holier than thou to me...
Old 2011-07-30, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Soothsayer View Post
Nah, I just want beta asap, don't mind waiting a year for release if I'm playing for that year.

No sense in pretending, comes off as holier than thou to me...
Not sure if I am correct on this but that would probably be a bad idea for SOE to keep a game in beta for so long (not sure on the typical beta testing times for games) but you make it sound like it would be in beta longer than most games. In my mind that would just be too costly for SOE to keep a game going and not getting any money in return for a free year of service from all the players. That would just be money that could be spent to improve the quality of the game. I support taking their time and getting it right.
Old 2011-07-30, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by cashfoyogash View Post
Not sure if I am correct on this but that would probably be a bad idea for SOE to keep a game in beta for so long (not sure on the typical beta testing times for games) but you make it sound like it would be in beta longer than most games. In my mind that would just be too costly for SOE to keep a game going and not getting any money in return for a free year of service from all the players. That would just be money that could be spent to improve the quality of the game. I support taking their time and getting it right.
I think you took me more literally than intended.

I'm open to playing a buggy PS2 beta and I wouldn't hit the nearest forum and mudsling infractions of the NDA. That free year of service goes both ways, SOE gives access to what I hope is an amazing game, testers put up with bugs, character wipes, possible hardware failures (happens more in Alpha's) and having to keep a lid on the awesome they are experiencing.

Global Agenda closed beta went on for a solid 7 months, their participation numbers were very high because they limited playtesting to one weekend a month. Then they had a month of "open" beta for people who prepurchased.

Then they had two years of post-beta-beta after release

My point is that there is this idealized picture of the perfect beta tester that is not entirely true. Its not as selfless as some would have you believe. These are beta's people want to play, its not a job and the compensation (outside of the admittedly sweet perk of early access to a game you really want to play) is minimal.

Last edited by Soothsayer; 2011-07-30 at 03:38 PM. Reason: seven not eight
Old 2011-07-30, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
demonicale
Sergeant

I would rather wait a year and have the Planetside 2 we ALL WANT, than for the game to be rushed to the door to please people who have no concept of how a game is made.

Take your time with Planetside 2 and make it great!, and i know all you guy's will
Old 2011-07-31, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

I hate to overload neurol capacities here but shouldn't the reasonable thing to do as fans is to employ an Aristotlian approach.

That way we don't heap constant demands on devs but at the same time still have healthy enough intrigue to not decline into any apathetic state.
Old 2011-07-31, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
I hate to overload neurol capacities here but shouldn't the reasonable thing to do as fans is to employ an Aristotlian approach.

That way we don't heap constant demands on devs but at the same time still have healthy enough intrigue to not decline into any apathetic state.
Huh?? come again
Old 2011-08-01, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Guys, Just be Patient Everyone. No need to rush this. This is the game of our dreams im pretty sure. Lets not screw it up
Old 2011-08-01, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
DreaM
Private

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Guys, Just be Patient Everyone. No need to rush this. This is the game of our dreams im pretty sure. Lets not screw it up
I'm curious, how exactly can we screw this up?
Old 2011-08-01, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by DreaM View Post
I'm curious, how exactly can we screw this up?
By allowing the devs to think they are safe.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion