Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 18 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Contents may have settled during shipping.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #256
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

Prone should be Infiltrator only as a Cert that takes the place of Stealth, and it should only be usable with sniper rifles (to prevent campers with SMGs).
Old 2012-06-02, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #257
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Re: Prone Poll

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Definitely not true, in my opinion. If anything, crouch will be sufficient for defenders of a base since they will be a lot more likely to have crouch height cover , and attackers coming from outside the base will not.

And even if and when it is true, that's called digging in as a defense.

Who is anyone to say that something is or isn't the way to play in any game? I was apparently under the mistaken impression that Planetside's distinguishing factor was the large scale and persistence, instead of people being forced into run and gun battles.

Sad thing is, prone is one of the smallest effects on gameplay pace that there probably can be and you guys don't realize it. But at least you are admitting that you want to force your subjective opinion on others.
My thread just jacked a poll. THE POWERRRR
Old 2012-06-02, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #258
Vancha
Colonel

This was answered pages ago.

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Is the extent to which prone reduces someone's hit profile, mobility and visibility actually beneficial to Planetside 2's specific gameplay?
Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Can't really answer that 'til I've got a screen in front of me and a zillion flashlight bolts screaming in.
That basically seems to be as far as this conversation can go. The people who want prone can't demonstrate that it'd be good for Planetside 2 and the people who don't want prone can't demonstrate that it'd be bad for Planetside 2. Until we get to beta, that's where we're at.
Old 2012-06-02, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #259
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
This was answered pages ago.

That basically seems to be as far as this conversation can go. The people who want prone can't demonstrate that it'd be good for Planetside 2 and the people who don't want prone can't demonstrate that it'd be bad for Planetside 2. Until we get to beta, that's where we're at.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLkgX...ature=youtu.be
Old 2012-06-02, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #260
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

The only time I have seen prone be effective in a game is for hiding under a bush in BF3, camping in a corner with your legs partially through a wall in BF3 and in Operation Flashpoint where if you were not crawling everywhere you were dead to people the other side of a valley, on top of a hill, or looking out from under some neutral shrubbery. In every case it either turns fights into a game of hide and seek or gets you killed, especially in a game with massed airchav looking immobile squishy targets.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-02 at 10:12 PM.
Old 2012-06-02, 11:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #261
SoNaR
Corporal

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RedKnights View Post

edit: luke didn't want prone, so he lost his hand.....

Last edited by SoNaR; 2012-06-02 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #262
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I've yet to see a reason proposed on why prone should be in PS2 apart from "cuz bf haz it xD".

Seriously, I've seen plenty of constructive arguments against it but none for. If that's not indicative to the mindset of a BF player then I don't know what is.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-03, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #263
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
No. It doesn't. PS1 didn't need prone.
That is the right answer.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #264
SKYeXile
Major General

HOW WILL I HIDE MY BODY WITHOUT PRONE WHEN CAMPING!!?!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-03, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #265
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
I've yet to see a reason proposed on why prone should be in PS2 apart from "cuz bf haz it xD".

Seriously, I've seen plenty of constructive arguments against it but none for. If that's not indicative to the mindset of a BF player then I don't know what is.
The only reasons i can think of to have prone:

1) Helps defend by having multiple lines of defenders. 1 line of people lie down. 1 line crouches. and 1 line stands. So not much of an advantage,

2) Allows a tiny amount of stealth if there is lots of foliage. But not many people will prone 100-200 metres just to sneak into a base.

In this game, prone just isn't very useful. Mostly fro snipers or defenders to use. But if you want stealth, just cloak or get someone to scout the defences to find a gap in them.
Old 2012-06-03, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #266
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I know these are ideas you're just spit balling, but I'm going to address them anyways, just so people don't fixate on them.

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
1) Helps defend by having multiple lines of defenders. 1 line of people lie down. 1 line crouches. and 1 line stands. So not much of an advantage,
That's sort of a silly reason. I can't see people ever doing this. If the area is that crowded they'd just move on a to different spot.

Most of the people who like prone are the ones who go and camp around for an entire match in some secluded spot so that they'll never be in danger ever.

2) Allows a tiny amount of stealth if there is lots of foliage. But not many people will prone 100-200 metres just to sneak into a base.
I guess this one could possibly be construed as one benefit, but it's really not good enough to warrant it's inclusion into the game. As you said, people aren't going to prone across a giant field to sneak up on someone. It could create some silly moments sure, but it's still not a good enough reason to outweigh all the problems it would cause.

In this game, prone just isn't very useful. Mostly fro snipers or defenders to use. But if you want stealth, just cloak or get someone to scout the defences to find a gap in them.
Well said, there's just no place for it in a game like PS. The mechanic just simply wouldn't translate well into the game. Some people just cannot grasp that however.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-03, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #267
Timey
Staff Sergeant

I wouldn't mind prone at all. You are basically immobile when in prone > a fish in a barrel. Wouldn't mind if it wasn't in, either.
Old 2012-06-03, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #268
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post

I'm not saying all the arguments haven't been constructive but they certainly have almost all been subjective.

And the biggest subjective argument is that people say they don't want people camping, but it's very curious...other things that promote camping, such as low TTK and high respawn timers, I don't see a lot of people proactively fighting against those things. I just hope to see, when beta comes, that the anti-camping people are willing to ask SOE to raise the TTK a bit and accept compromise on spawn timers to help reduce those particular motivations for camping.
Old 2012-06-03, 07:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #269
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I'm really not worried about camping in a game like this. This isn't a 16vs16 deathmatch, plenty of people will be camping and that's totally fine, because we're fighting over objectives here and not a K/D ratio. If camping helps you defend your objective then that's what you should be doing. And if you can manage to effectively camp an objective without getting killed by any of the hundreds of other players milling about then more power to you.

What I don't want to see though are things that promote camping for the attacking side. The Phoenix in PS1 was a prime example of this, instead of actually attacking a base the NC would spend literally hours hiding behind hills and rocks and trees spamming Phoenix missiles. That's not effective and it's not fun for either side, it makes the game more boring and tedious.

Likewise I think prone would make the game more boring and tedious, though that's only my subjective opinion. I can't think of any solid reasons not to have prone, and I can't think of any solid reasons for it either. For me it comes down to a question of whether it fits in with the style of the game, and to me the answer to that is definitely no.
Old 2012-06-03, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #270
Crator
Major General

I haven't read through all the posts in this thread. I voted Other but let me explain.

Yes to prone with some restrictions as such mentioned earlier. But another restriction is you must crouch first before you can prone. So it's more of a skill mechanic.

I would also like to see a cover mechanic like GoW had too!
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion