Context sensitive spotting macro key - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ALT+F4 for the latest beta news
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-28, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
CutterJohn
Colonel

Context sensitive spotting macro key

Not the bf variety of "enemy X spotted" where it just gets put up on the minimap, thats a bit cheap.

I'm talking about a voice macro that alerts others around you to the presence of enemies, using language instead of pinging a minimap, giving location, direction, and range based information. It can also be used for context sensitive requests and commands.

Used on an enemy:

The macro would identify the vehicle, give a heading, and a range. People in the same vehicle would hear a relative heading. People around the announcer would hear an absolute heading.

Examples.

In a vehicle: "Incoming Reaver, 6 o'clock high, 400 meters!"

Not in a vehicle: "Incoming Reaver, southwest high, 400 meters!

In a base, rather than a heading and direction, it would give a location based on landmarks in the base.

"Incoming soldiers, backdoor!"

"Incoming troops, generator!

When used on a static item, or a friendly, it would give a context sensitive announcement.

Used on a terminal "We need a hacker!" And the terminal would flash up on the minimap of hackers nearby

Used on a destroyed terminal "We need repairs!"

Used on a dead soldier "Need a medic over here!"

You get the idea. It would make fast announcements of threats quite easy, and be able to relay the information to nearby people, since odds are you won't be in a TS server with all of them.
Old 2011-07-28, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Context sensitive spotting macro key

Yeah that could be kinda cool... but I still think it needs pinging on the minimap/HUD as well for the sake of playability. It's the future after all
Old 2011-07-29, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Its a great idea, but I say no.

You ever play Arma 2 bud? They do this, and its done poorly. To make it done well would take a LOT of work, especially considering that we will have the possibility to choose from multiple character voices like in PS1.

Think for example you want to say "Set up a spitfire 200 meters to the north" Probably wouldn't scream that. So the voice actor would say it in a calm but commanding tone.

Now, he gets to the part where he says "Enemy tank!" Might yell that a bit. Now, combine the previous voice acting with the new enemy tank one to get "[Said loudly]Enemy Tank! [Now, the rest is said in a calm tone] 200 meters to the north"

It ends up sounding really stupid. It could be added down the line, but it takes a fair amount of voice acting and many different voice pallets to get it perfected. Resources could be better spent elsewhere, IMO.

A possible way of doing it would be for there to be audible "Inbound enemy vehicles!" but the distance and bearing would be kept to text only.

Last edited by Bravix; 2011-07-29 at 12:20 AM.
Old 2011-07-29, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
CutterJohn
Colonel

two dozen vehicles

12 relative directions(1 o'clock, 2 o'clock, etc)

8 absolute directions(North, Northwest, west, etc)

10 ranges(25m, 50m, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400)

A good voice actor could whip those out in 2 hours.

Of course just throwing it up on the hud would be easier, but a lot less cool. Text has the same issues it always does in the heat of battle.

Originally Posted by Bravix View Post
It ends up sounding really stupid.
Only if its done poorly. Games like freelancer have had a bunch of voice snippets plugged together to form background radio chatter, with hundreds of words rather than dozens, and it sounds nice. Not perfect, because of a slightly too long pause between words rather than mismatched emotion/intonation.

It sounds like arma 2 tried to use the same words for more than one thing, with the result you describe.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-29 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2011-07-29, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

"INCOMING TROOPS, MEDICAL TERMINAL!"
Old 2011-07-29, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Incoming dev response!!

possibly...
Old 2011-07-30, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
CutterJohn
Colonel

I could see a cert needed for people not in the same vehicle. In the same vehicle a hud marking should just be there.
Old 2011-07-31, 12:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
nathanebht
Sergeant

Problem is people start spamming what they spot and the repeated voice playback becomes super annoying.

Spotting should only add icons to the mini-map. If a indicator gets added on your 3D view, it can cause gameplay problems.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault