Player Name Idea - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mayhem, Chaos, Peace, What's the difference?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.33 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-19, 04:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Sethsocrazy
Private

Player Name Idea

I saw this implemented in Champions Online and thought it was a really neat idea. Basically your character name would be tagged to your account, so you wouldn't have to worry about choosing a name that's already been chosen. If you wanted some stupid generic name like "Shadow," it would always be available to you because you wouldn't just be the first person to choose the name, but you'd be Playeracc123's "Shadow."

I imagine contacting people would be a bit more complicated as you'd need to contact them by their account name, rather than their character's name. Though it seems to work in Champions Online, Planetside is a much faster paced game and might prove to be too troublesome.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 2011-07-19, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Player Name Idea

Great idea to harras people. Why dont i just name myself Sethsocrazy and just annoy the living sh** out of everybody?
Old 2011-07-19, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Too many immature kids play this game for something like that to work.
Old 2011-07-19, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

I'm amazed that wasn't a disaster in Champions Online...
Old 2011-07-20, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

For clarification (because I'm surprised at the hostility) your name appeared in chat boxes as CharacterName@AccountName and your character name appeared hovering over the character. Star Trek Online does the same thing.

Then again Global Agenda didn't even bother with character names.

It solves a lot of problems with alt limits and the tedium of inviting them all as well. However if you can only train one character's skills at a time alts probably won't be a big thing anyway.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Lartnev View Post
For clarification (because I'm surprised at the hostility) your name appeared in chat boxes as CharacterName@AccountName and your character name appeared hovering over the character. Star Trek Online does the same thing.

Then again Global Agenda didn't even bother with character names.

It solves a lot of problems with alt limits and the tedium of inviting them all as well. However if you can only train one character's skills at a time alts probably won't be a big thing anyway.
WoW has a system where you add account names, and all Player names under that account will show up when your friend logs on. So rather than adding 10 of his characters, you add his original account and all of his ALTs are tied into it.

I think the problem you run into is 50 people having the same character name, so players who pride themselves on being the only one, or get really annoyed when someone steals there name will whine. Especially if the only way to differentiate between the 2 is when they type something in chat.
Old 2011-08-05, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Shogun
Contributor
General

i foresee an outfit where every member has a char with the same name ... like phantom or stormtrooper.

and in some battles you will not be able to tell which player you are shooting at.

i am all for unique names, because you need to know your enemys if you want to put up a good strategy. and fighting a bunch of anonymous batmen would make this unnecessary hard.

in ps1, you see an infamous enemy running by who is known for being very good at sneaking to a gen and blowing it up when you need it most, you can warn your platoon about him.

with same names for everyone, you never know if its the real danger or just a faker.
Old 2011-08-05, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
morf
First Sergeant

ITT: Worst. Idea. Ever.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault