Cross-Class Functionality? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now in five new flavors!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-12, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
wOOtbEEr
Private

Cross-Class Functionality?

Is there going to be any?

In PS1 a high BR Player could equip two guns, have a tool to heal and revive, another tool to repair armor and MAXes, and yet another tool to hack doors and terminals.

In PS2 it looks like the Medic will get the ability to area heal and even throw a grenade that will revive a group of casualties. But will he be able to repair the quad he's driving?
The heavy assault trooper carries the firepower to deal with any threat. But if his teammate goes down he has no way to revive him.

I know a lot of people will say that limiting abilities to their own classes forces teamwork to happen. I think the best teamwork in PS1 took place when everyone could fulfill multiple roles though. I love the new light assault class but if a squad of LA is going to move behind enemy line and cause disruptions it would be nice if a few of them could revive the others. Is every tank driver going to be an Engineer if he wants to repair his tank.

Has there been any word on this? What would people think of a cert tree in every non MAX class that would give you basic healing and repairing? Remember those would be cert points not spent on more class specific stuff so its not like its free.

Anyway. Planetside 2 already looks great. These are just my thoughts on something i'll miss from PS1

w00tb33r
Old 2012-06-12, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vetto
Staff Sergeant

Re: Cross-Class Functionality?

Thank god no, Each glass has a job the most Cross classing you will see is some one who a Medic/pilot. Or heavy assault/Armored ((If they can fit in the vehicles not sure on that yet))
Old 2012-06-12, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

I think a kind of Multiclassing would be a neat way to add depth to the game.

It could work kind of like Dungeons and Dragons (Assuming you level each class sepearately.) Where you can choose ONE additional class to gain a few benefits from. Like an Engineer could multiclass into Medic, and get the ability to heal, but none of the other perks of the class. I.E. Reviving, Heal Grenades.

And since he chose to multiclass instead of sticking to just one class, he gains BEP at a much slower rate for both classes, unless he decides to forgo his multiclass to just level one class.

Engi could give repair
Medic could give healing
LA/HA could give the ability to dispense Ammo (depending on what class they end up giving the Ammo power)

Not too sure what power Infiltrators could synergize into another class. Cloaking seems a little OP.

MAX would be exempt from multiclassing, naturally.

Not that this would get added, im sure most players would just pick Medic anyways.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Getting away from uber classing was a deliberate attempt by the devs to fix one of the larger balance issues in PS1. A soldier wearing rexo and equipped with a lancer and a bolt driver, having a repair tool, a healing device, and all the REK stuff in the inventory was an unfortunate occurence. Having distinct class roles prevents one player from doing everything, and, in theory, promotes teamwork and diversity.

I think that this is a good thing.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Well, the overabundance of Cert Points in Late PS1 lead to the One-Man-Army RexoGrunt we all know. Back when the game went only to BR 20, most people naturally classed themselves into roles with minor flexability. You wouldnt see so many Rexo/HA/AV/Med/Engi/Hacking because that was too many certs. You might have had a Rexo with Med or Engi, or both, but then he might not have HA or AV and no hacking or vehicles at all. Let alone the abundance of MAXs. UniMAX, at 6 certs was a huge investment back in the days of BR 20.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wayside
Contributor
Corporal

Originally Posted by wOOtbEEr View Post
Is there going to be any?

In PS1 a high BR Player could equip two guns, have a tool to heal and revive, another tool to repair armor and MAXes, and yet another tool to hack doors and terminals.

In PS2 it looks like the Medic will get the ability to area heal and even throw a grenade that will revive a group of casualties. But will he be able to repair the quad he's driving?
The heavy assault trooper carries the firepower to deal with any threat. But if his teammate goes down he has no way to revive him.

I know a lot of people will say that limiting abilities to their own classes forces teamwork to happen. I think the best teamwork in PS1 took place when everyone could fulfill multiple roles though. I love the new light assault class but if a squad of LA is going to move behind enemy line and cause disruptions it would be nice if a few of them could revive the others. Is every tank driver going to be an Engineer if he wants to repair his tank.

Has there been any word on this? What would people think of a cert tree in every non MAX class that would give you basic healing and repairing? Remember those would be cert points not spent on more class specific stuff so its not like its free.

Anyway. Planetside 2 already looks great. These are just my thoughts on something i'll miss from PS1

w00tb33r
If they're not doing so already, I'd like to see them consider offering limited cross-class functionality through consumable items. IE: Single-use health kits, single-use ammo containers, etc. That would enable some interesting squad compositions.

For example: I dig the idea of a light-assault squad leaping over enemy walls as a team to rush a capture point, but that kind of tactic doesn't work well if the squad has no way of healing or resupplying (in even limited forms). Adding a medic or other class to the squad immediately gimps the mobility of the entire group, or leaves that extra member struggling to keep up.

Limited-use items would add some flexibility to that kind of situation.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ZeroOneZero
Corporal

The only cross-class you'll probably see and everyone will have access to is the "Command" tree. Not sure what you'll get in that tree, but you'll probably have access to global devices (Jammers/orbital strikes/etc..) Since they took out bag packs, there is no way to customize your character.
Old 2012-06-12, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Meriv
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
If they're not doing so already, I'd like to see them consider offering limited cross-class functionality through consumable items. IE: Single-use health kits, single-use ammo containers, etc. That would enable some interesting squad compositions.

For example: I dig the idea of a light-assault squad leaping over enemy walls as a team to rush a capture point, but that kind of tactic doesn't work well if the squad has no way of healing or resupplying (in even limited forms). Adding a medic or other class to the squad immediately gimps the mobility of the entire group, or leaves that extra member struggling to keep up.

Limited-use items would add some flexibility to that kind of situation.
good idea
OK but i would make the consumables going for cash and not resources, plus with a long Cd and not end capabilities (style reviving of the medic or turret from engi)
Old 2012-06-12, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Metalsheep View Post
Well, the overabundance of Cert Points in Late PS1 lead to the One-Man-Army RexoGrunt we all know. Back when the game went only to BR 20, most people naturally classed themselves into roles with minor flexability. You wouldnt see so many Rexo/HA/AV/Med/Engi/Hacking because that was too many certs. You might have had a Rexo with Med or Engi, or both, but then he might not have HA or AV and no hacking or vehicles at all. Let alone the abundance of MAXs. UniMAX, at 6 certs was a huge investment back in the days of BR 20.
BR20 could easily get rexo+ha+av+med+engy and have 8 points left over.

From there air cav (scout) was 3 points
Max AI/AV was 3
Max AA was 2
Adv med (to revive people) was 2
Combat eng (mines etc) was 2

I think your memory is decieving you. BR20 was never a problem and no one ever complained. In fact the PS cert system was held up as an exemplar in the world of mmo's.

When the limit raised to BR40 you may have a point were it not that falling populations mean that more flexibility is necessary.

For me ... tbh I don't care. The class system looks like given time you can do just as many different things as you can with br40. It's not something I break sweat over.

The only good thing is that it may seem more recognisable to players coming from other games (I better not mention any) and one of the aims of the dev team is to reduce the barrier for new players, which as a concept I support.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Turdicus View Post
Getting away from uber classing was a deliberate attempt by the devs to fix one of the larger balance issues in PS1. A soldier wearing rexo and equipped with a lancer and a bolt driver, having a repair tool, a healing device, and all the REK stuff in the inventory was an unfortunate occurence. Having distinct class roles prevents one player from doing everything, and, in theory, promotes teamwork and diversity.

I think that this is a good thing.
The soldier you described above is totally doing everything.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
BR20 could easily get rexo+ha+av+med+engy and have 8 points left over.

From there air cav (scout) was 3 points
Max AI/AV was 3
Max AA was 2
Adv med (to revive people) was 2
Combat eng (mines etc) was 2

I think your memory is decieving you. BR20 was never a problem and no one ever complained. In fact the PS cert system was held up as an exemplar in the world of mmo's.

When the limit raised to BR40 you may have a point were it not that falling populations mean that more flexibility is necessary.

For me ... tbh I don't care. The class system looks like given time you can do just as many different things as you can with br40. It's not something I break sweat over.

The only good thing is that it may seem more recognisable to players coming from other games (I better not mention any) and one of the aims of the dev team is to reduce the barrier for new players, which as a concept I support.
I didnt say BR20 was a problem, and if you went RexoGrunt at BR 20, you dont have many more points to do something like CE, Adv Med or Hacking, or piloting many vehicles. BR 20 leaves you with 17 Certs and the couple you started with (wasnt the starting Certs lower at some point? Now you start with like 7). MA,HA, Av, Rexo, Med and Engi are 18 points all togather. You basically had to give up everything else to be a One-Man-army type soldier. Now with BR 40 it is standard, along with most people having Reaver and UniMAX who arent 40 yet.

I was like 12 when Planetside released, 21 now, perhaps my memory of early PS isnt as sharp.
Old 2012-06-12, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
The soldier you described above is totally doing everything.
You're gonna have to explain the problem you have with my post.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion