close quarter combat!!! - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May cause damage if directly exposed to retina
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-04, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Snake13
Private

Okay let me go dig up that post i made on ballistics along time ago

A rifle round is designed to engage targets at range, so it is smaller and has alot more gunpowder in it. This makes the bullet traver at much higher speeds, also the bullet is longer and narrower which helps its maintain speed of distance because it cuts through the air. Rifle rounds when they hit their target slow down and are balanced to tumble end over end creating a large cavity, or are designed to fragment from the force of impact (read: slowing down really fast, or impulse ) again creating a large cavity. but if you shoot someone at very close range with a rifle you might get the effect of overpenetration, because the bullet still has most of its speed (and therby most of its force) at that close of a range, the bullet runs the risk of just going right through your target without fragmenting or tumbling, or even transfering much force, leaving a nice clean hole.

Now pistol rounds are for the most part designed to do shock damage. Pistol rounds being much larger and wider slow down alot quicker. When a pistol round enters your target it slows down, therby transfering its energy unto the target, doing alot of damage to internal tissue. since pistol rounds slow down alot quicker once they hit something they generate a larger "impulse" .
However since they slow down alot quicker in a body, they also do the same in the air (in part to both the lower amount of powder and the wider profile of the bullet) meaning at range they bleed off speed quickly and therefore have lesss energy to transfer to the target.

Which is why a bullet stopped by a vest actually creates a larger impulse then one that penetrates, the vest stops the bullet alot quicker then tissue. Which is why getting shot with a bullet proof vest still does alot of damage, just it does it externally which your body can handle alot better (however a trama plate can reduce this damage signifigantly by absorbing the force)

note that you can also can a similar over penetration effect when using AP rounds on an unarmored target

By the way the "shockwave" effect is held up by a few rogue firearms experts but is dismissed as crap by the majority
Old 2003-02-04, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

see what I'm talking about you clueless people, knives work better Hello my little MAG Cutter.

/me will cut up the next person who posts on here and says a gun will work better than a knife in close combat... why else make knives
Old 2003-02-04, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

gimmie that chainsaw knife =D
Old 2003-02-04, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Lexington_Steele
You should stick with the MP5 mentality. I repeat, boo on the shotgun.
I'm still in my mp5 mentality.... but not from two feet away when there are no headshots.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-04, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Flameseeker
Captain

Knives are used by:
1.) Infiltrators, sneak up and knife.
2.) Silent runners, see above
3.) Silent run Infiltrators, see above
4.) Crazy 1337 players, jumping out of galaxies knifing everyone in sight, gulping down med kits. These are the people who have become bored with their super-efficiency with normal weapons. They need a challenge, so they switch to knifing. These are rare, thank god.

Pull a knife on me without being silent/invisible and I will unload either a clip of Gauss into you, or blow off your head with my MAG-Scatter.
Old 2003-02-04, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

And oh yeah, you guys bring your knives. Just make sure to tell me what base you're going to be at so I can start my conquest there.

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2003-02-05, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
NeoTassadar
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the MP5 mentality is great, it's about the best gun ever made (overall). However, in close quarters, I'm kniving. I'm worried about in the hallways of bases, though, as the Infiltration suit still leaves a blur when you move.
Old 2003-02-05, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

i will definitely have a knife on me for close quarters combat... but that is definitely going to be reserved for sneaky kills. I'm interested to see how well it works.. i hope that it adopts a tribes shocklance flavor.. a very powerful weapon if used correctly.

However, i certainly wouldn't rely on it, i'll be sporting an smg, or shotgun mainly I figure. However I have to wonder about the amp.. i mean.. auto pistol.. might not be too shabby indoors
Old 2003-02-05, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
txMaddog
Corporal

PKN all the way!!

PKN = Pistols, Knives and 'nades!! (plasma owns all!)

FYI Teflon does not help a bullet penatrate armor, it is there to prevent the bullet (usually made of a very hard metal) from damaging the rifling (those grooves in the barrel) of the gun.

Hollowpoints are illeagel for general War use because they were deemed too "inhumane".

West Coast Planetside Server
"If it's not Flashy and in High Style then what's the point?!?!" - B.D.N.
Old 2003-02-05, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kilgs
Contributor
Corporal

Originally posted by Sigurd
Umm, in CQB style fighting headshots are only a factor of luck, and the winner usually Is the man with the biggest and best gun.
What Paladin Press "Do it Yourself SOF" book did you get that out of?

After a two-week High Risk Warrant Service/CQB Training during police academy, I can tell you thats not true.

CQB is based on efficient, violent reaction. Shot grouping and control is efficient. Body shots are taught due to the fact that you can place 2-3 accurate shots into a body for every 1.5 head shots. In addition, most victims of a GSW are dropped on the first hit due to shock.

Police teach body shots mainly, military (I hear) teaches "2 to the body, 1 to the head".

They do NOT "spray" a corridor. Even teh military doesn't teach this unless its in area denial. The new M16 has even had the full automatic option removed and now fires single or 3 round burst.
Old 2003-02-05, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Sputty
Banned

In real life maybe so but they're talking about games. I think 80% of the time headshots are lucky 15% they're done by a sniper and 5% they guy who gets shot is going prone with his stuck out of a hole waiting to be raped IMO. Also, playing a close quarter battle with automatic, fast weapons will often be crazy death fest of spamming with weapons in a frantic bid to survive.

Last edited by Sputty; 2003-02-05 at 01:33 PM.
Old 2003-02-05, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kilgs
Contributor
Corporal

Originally posted by Sputty
In rela life maybe so but they're talking about games.
Good point. My bad.
Old 2003-02-05, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
ABRAXAAS
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Sputty
In real life maybe so but they're talking about games. I think 80% of the time headshots are lucky 15% they're done by a sniper and 5% they guy who gets shot is going prone with his stuck out of a hole waiting to be raped IMO. Also, playing a close quarter battle with automatic, fast weapons will often be crazy death fest of spamming with weapons in a frantic bid to survive.
My kinda action
Old 2003-02-05, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
TheGreatCarbini
First Sergeant

Well lucky for me I don't have to worry about indoor combat, being an enginer i can just wire up a hall to explode as you come through with those remote charges, hitboxes aren't too much of a problem with explosives.

Actualy, those basilisks seem small enough, i bet you could drive em down halls and just take people out like that.
Old 2003-02-05, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sputty
Banned

Nope. Vehicles can't go into buildings
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion