Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pictures of the day now come with extra MSG!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-04-18, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Huntsab
Sergeant

Re: Recent string of Emails to Smedley in regards to PS1 F2P Status

Who can mod a game like UT or Source? Remake an interlink and a few towers. You get my drift. We could get the game play PS2 should have had. Wishes eh?
Old 2013-04-18, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
RedPower
Corporal

He is dishonest but not a idiot .The reason he didn't make PS1 F2P is NOT no one want to play this game ,actually the reason is too many people want to play this game again ! So you know,PS2 die if PS1 revive!
Old 2013-04-18, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
RedPower
Corporal

You should email him that i won't play the bigmap Battlefield even PS1 not going F2P
Old 2013-04-19, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

What I don't get is why he thinks PS1 won't come back to life when it goes F2P. He is so convinced that its dead because it is PS1 and not PS2...

Which mystifies the fuck out of me to be absolutely honest. I know I'd go back in a heart beat if I knew it wouldn't be empty.

Old 2013-04-19, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
RedPower
Corporal

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
What I don't get is why he thinks PS1 won't come back to life when it goes F2P. He is so convinced that its dead because it is PS1 and not PS2...
Which mystifies the fuck out of me to be absolutely honest. I know I'd go back in a heart beat if I knew it wouldn't be empty.
Because he don't want PS1 come back to life .He need PS2 and money . Not a good business man.He is doomed to fail when he give up PlanetsideNext!

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-04-20 at 04:45 AM. Reason: For insulting developer. This is a reminder, next time is a warning.
Old 2013-04-19, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post

Yeah, Smedley stubbornly believes the game is empty because it's bad or something (old = bad, amiright?). Just because he is not fond of the game doesn't really justify his negligence to Planetside 1 and the community. That's why I really hope they can at least do a free month for the 10 year anniversary, just to show how many people want to play it.
Old 2013-04-20, 01:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
vieric
Private

In all honesty, I totally understand how you feel, I can't help but think fear over PS2 has a lot to do with it myself, but getting mad isn't the way to go here.

In my opinion the best thing we can do as a community is step back, calm down, and try to reason with them. Likely to work or no...it's the best option we have.

Setting ourselves up as the reasonable party in this argument and deflecting any BS they throw at us using sound logic will serve to make our arguments much stronger, while making theirs seem more and more flimsy. SOE itself may not much care about that, but I would hope that if it goes on long enough more people will notice the BS and do something about it.

Personally, though, I prefer to not make assumptions, even if they are pretty obvious. I do this because we honestly don't need to use them, not when there are so many other fine arguments to throw at them. And it serves nicely to avoid the whole "we never said that" card they would inevitably pull.

It is absolutely imperative we all keep cool heads in this endeavor, We might not particularly have kind feelings towards SOE right now, but the fact of the matter is they hold the keys to the castle, and if we tick them off we can kiss it all goodbye.

I do not speak out of optimism nor pessimism, I say this simply because I see no better options. It is a long shot, but as I said before, we as a community owe it to PS1 to fight tooth and nail for any chance it can get, no matter how slim the odds.

Last edited by vieric; 2013-04-20 at 01:26 AM.
Old 2013-04-20, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by vieric View Post
In all honesty, I totally understand how you feel, I can't help but think fear over PS2 has a lot to do with it myself, but getting mad isn't the way to go here.

In my opinion the best thing we can do as a community is step back, calm down, and try to reason with them. Likely to work or no...it's the best option we have.

Setting ourselves up as the reasonable party in this argument and deflecting any BS they throw at us using sound logic will serve to make our arguments much stronger, while making theirs seem more and more flimsy. SOE itself may not much care about that, but I would hope that if it goes on long enough more people will notice the BS and do something about it.

Personally, though, I prefer to not make assumptions, even if they are pretty obvious. I do this because we honestly don't need to use them, not when there are so many other fine arguments to throw at them. And it serves nicely to avoid the whole "we never said that" card they would inevitably pull.

It is absolutely imperative we all keep cool heads in this endeavor, We might not particularly have kind feelings towards SOE right now, but the fact of the matter is they hold the keys to the castle, and if we tick them off we can kiss it all goodbye.

I do not speak out of optimism nor pessimism, I say this simply because I see no better options. It is a long shot, but as I said before, we as a community owe it to PS1 to fight tooth and nail for any chance it can get, no matter how slim the odds.
Agreed and well said.

Ad-hominem and senseless bashing is no way to win an argument. I don't think we're going to get through to SOE if the PS1 community comes off as a bunch as a bitter, jaded, angry mob of people angry at SOE.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2013-04-20, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm going to drop in here and agree with Smed. Nobody is playing the game.. nobody is going to play it if it's free.. I know I won't. I will never be able to go back to what the game once was to me. Instead of going on and on about PS1, how about we give suggestions to help make PlanetSide 2 better and realize that PlanetSide 1 is the past. It was a great game at the time and it was well before it's time. But it was extremely niche and died.

Let's not repeat the same mistakes.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-04-20 at 11:02 AM.
Old 2013-04-20, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Figment
Lieutenant General

What mistakes are there to repeat by having a more appropriate marketing plan? >.>

The servers are up, but nobody is playing because it's too expensive. THAT is a mistake. Think of all the people that can't play PS2 because of the high end specs required. Maybe you can retain even a few hundred them by having them play PS1 in the meantime...

Last edited by Figment; 2013-04-20 at 11:32 AM.
Old 2013-04-20, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
nobody is going to play it if it's free
http://www.change.org/petitions/sony...nthly-charge-2

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2013-04-20, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yes because it will be awesome with 318 people. I'm not looking back at PlanetSide 1 through rose colored glasses. I'm looking at it logically, I was a PlanetSide 1 proponent you all know that. But it is the past.

Think of all the people that can't play PS2 because of the high end specs required. Maybe you can retain even a few hundred them by having them play PS1 in the meantime...
PC Gaming requires a certain investment, if you want to be a serious PC gamer you upgrade your PC. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for those who think they can run new games on old hardware.

What mistakes are there to repeat by having a more appropriate marketing plan? >.>
We are already seeing them in things like the lattice.. we are going down the niche PlanetSide 1 path. I like the lattice don't get me wrong but I hope the development team doesn't keep catering to absolutely everything PlanetSide 1 players want.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-04-20, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Figment
Lieutenant General

~320 potential players > 1 + those not aware of petition -> ~500-1.000 players should be possible. They ran the server on 11 PII computers back then, running a single server can't be expensive.

What is there to lose Hamma? If it doesn't work... So what? It doesn't cost them anything, they can't lose players over it, they can even just make a little bit of money by lowering sub costs.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-04-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 2013-04-20, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Yes because it will be awesome with 318 people. I'm not looking back at PlanetSide 1 through rose colored glasses. I'm looking at it logically, I was a PlanetSide 1 proponent you all know that. But it is the past.

PC Gaming requires a certain investment, if you want to be a serious PC gamer you upgrade your PC. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for those who think they can run new games on old hardware.

We are already seeing them in things like the lattice.. we are going down the niche PlanetSide 1 path. I like the lattice don't get me wrong but I hope the development team doesn't keep catering to absolutely everything PlanetSide 1 players want.

The past is sometimes better then the future, PS2 is taking steps in the right direction, but it's still flawed, even more then PS1 was. And neither game was perfect by any means, but PS1 certainly held my attention a lot more then PS2 did when you compare releases, and still does. There are somethings PS2 did right, but most of what it does wrong is the devs lack of innovation and basically making it Planetfield2534, instead of reintroducing PS1 mechanics or creating new ones altogether. Reintroducing lattice, continent locking, and sanctuaries is a def. a step in the right direction.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2013-04-20, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
vieric
Private

I suppose my major problem is people assuming the game is dead and incapable of recovering without giving it the chance to do so first.

A lot of people don't see what PS1 is about right away, nor do they look, because all they see is a ten year old game with crappy graphics (by today's standards) with an insane 15$ subscription fee and are driven off before learning anything past the games name. Were it F2P I feel people would be a lot more welcoming of it. Graphics cant be helped, but they do affect the games presentation to new and potential players, it really helps to drive away potential players with the current sub model, were the game F2P I don't think it would be much of an issue.

I should add that it has been shown repeatedly in the industry that most, nearly all games (even modern fancy ones with all the bells and whistles) can not get away with a sub that high in this day and age.

Is PS1 the holy grail of gaming? no. Does it have its share of problems? heck yes. But that doesn't mean its not still a good game, and it sure doesn't mean it doesn't deserve at least one chance to prove itself. Assuming that no one will play it without trying first is completely unfair.

Last edited by vieric; 2013-04-20 at 03:46 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion