What role do you want to play - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: R.I.P Hot Girls Thread
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-11-04, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Wow, someone that actully wants to do beacon D
Old 2002-11-04, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
EarlyDawn
Major General

I think heavy gunners and skirmishers will be base defense, Engineers will have our fair share of battlefield experience.
We'll be the poor guys who get to place the explosives to blow stuff up, and we get to mine enemy areas. Plus repair. will probably be in-field too.
Old 2002-11-04, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Well "Beacon D" was the joke we used back in T2 for getting stuck with a shitty job like putting out sensors all over the place. The joke was that if you blew it, or were late to practice or something, the leader would put a beacon way out of bounds and tell you to stand there and guard it.

So it became a joke "Shit, I'll be on Beacon D for weeks, after that one"
Old 2002-11-04, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
EarlyDawn
Major General

Haha, got ya.
Old 2002-11-06, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Snipers are a main part of any army...
This is actually false. I'm a bit of an ametuer World War 2 historian myself, and for all the armies of all the countries involved in the war, snipers like you imagine them were not a big part whatsoever. The Wehrmacht, for instance, made little to no use of snipers during much of its fighting, as it relied on speed and surprise, not camping. The average infantry man with a bolt action rifle could easily qualify as a sniper, firing a single aimed shot from a concealed position to hit an enemy, but that's the extent of it. Snipers were simply not a major part of an army. The existed in every army, but were typically very few, and did not make a significant impact over (except for urban fighting, where snipers generally demoralized and pinned down enemy troops).

Anyway!

I myself am planning on being a sort of commando/special forces player. I despise the "lone wolf, it's so cool to be Rambo!" concept, so I fully intend on joining a group of like-minded players to accomplish our goals. Back on track, though, Hacking, light armor (the Infiltration Suit sounds nice), and a variety of close to medium ranged weaponry will be ideal. A melee weapon, a pistol, and an assault rifle.

On another more interesting note, however, snipers could very easily ruin this game. Most FPS makers don't understand their own game, and so make snipers a class that tends to upset the game terribly. It's extremely irritating to die without a chance, so one-shot kills had better be out of the question (at least two, depending on how hard it is to hit someone). In addition, ammunition for a sniper rifle should be very limited. The game isn't about lone-wolfing it. It's about teamwork. Give a sniper 20 bullets only and he'll be more inclined to stick with a group of other players, scouting for them and supporting them in combat, while reloading from allied vehicles or whatnot when he runs dry. It's imperitive that the devs realize how important it is to ensure snipers don't get out of hand... everyone loves to be Rambo, dropping people left right and center, but it's not healthy for the game at all.
Old 2002-11-06, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Hamma
PSU Admin

On the bright side they haev made lying down impossible, which means a sniper can only kneel, makeing them a bit more visiible, and as far as I know there will be no one shot one kills..

I too hope they balance them well, so they dont become a dominating force

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-11-06, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

If snipers get AWP powers... they will overwhelm the battlefields, you know it, I know it, we all know it. But to make them easy to find.. would take away from the mystique and make sniping too hard.

You cant lay down, go prone in the game???? WTF is that BS?
Old 2002-11-06, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Hamma
PSU Admin

THat is correct, there is no prone position as far as we know, probably because they didnt want it to be a sniper/hide and seek game

Lets not forget the area is huge, you could hide about anywhere in the grass if you were able to go prone. Refer to our video section, some of the vids show grass very well.

Old 2002-11-06, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

But to make them easy to find.. would take away from the mystique and make sniping too hard.
If they're difficult to find, they need to have a fairly weak shot to compensate. Long range, high accuracy, good cover through the terrain... you need some disadvantages too.
Old 2002-11-06, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Hard to find yes but your out there by yourself, and if you want to be getting good exp you need to attack more then one guy at a time and be in a well traficed area. having to shoot someone 5-6 times would make sniping useless as it would be better to just get up behind them and let lose with a supresser or something. Another issue is have it ROCKET LAUCHERS. I Hate them. I would like them to be anti armor, but as you know if it can establish lock on a person, or has a realy long range (and they almost always fly perfectly strait in these games) then Rocket sniping (gaaaaaaaaaaay) shall become popular. but by no oneshot kills i guess they mean being hit with sevral kilo's of high explosives does not kill you, which is cool by me, then its alll gravy.
Old 2002-11-06, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

nuclear weapons technician.

I'll be the guy at the main base with his finger on the button.

"ok...say when!!"

Old 2002-11-06, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Hamma
PSU Admin

Old 2002-11-06, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

This seems like a good place to ask sience i dont want to start a new thread....
Is RocketFodder a Dev? he seems to know everything about PS there is to know..... or is he an Omnipotent deity? one of the two is my guess though he could be something else that is omnipotent such as a powerful celestial or demon..... thoughts?
Old 2002-11-06, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

He's just another guy who posts on these forums and has probably been following the game for a while. And also needs to get more sleep or drink less booze or something
Old 2002-11-06, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hamma
PSU Admin

He knows more than the average fan, so everything he says is pretty much true.
What he doesent understand is not everyone knows the details

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion