medium armor as vehicle gunners? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Planetside: The Movie, with Tom Cruse as "Hamma"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-01-27, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally posted by Venoxile
I mean a medium with a jackhammer in an nc vanguard can just pop out at any time and take out the guys shooting it in 1 or 2 shots.
Let me join others in disagreeing with you... I don't think this sounds too repititious, so here goes.

You seem to think that the medium on foot would be more effective against infantry than a medium in a tank gunner position.

I think you're very wrong.

NC: The dual 20mm cannon should be quite effective as an anti-infantry weapon. Lots of dead people. And depending on how fast you can switch back and forth between the weapons, it may be an effective tactic to switch between the main gun and the cannons while the main gun is reloading. BOOM-tatatatata-BOOM-tatatatat.

TR: While there are two gunner positions (right?), the heavier cannons will have a relatively high rate of fire. Lot's of dead people. And the dual chainguns look like they'll just WRECK people. Messy messy messy.

VS: Not sure about this one... it's rate of fire and AOE will probably be somewhere between the two other tanks... but it's a tough call... not enough info.

I still think a heavy tank gunner will be far more effective than anyone on foot in an anti-infantry role... with the possible exception of an anti-infantry MAX (and I wouldn't count on that either).

[edit]
Oops... I originally had my second paragraph reading "tang gunner". I can see it now... The deadly tang gunners, spewing orange powder over all who oppose them!
[/edit]

Last edited by NapalmEnima; 2003-01-27 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2003-01-27, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally posted by Lexington_Steele
If one reinforced guy is able to get out of the tank, own your attacking force, get back in, and resume manning the tank's guns, then you didn't bring enough guys.
I'm expecting most grunt infantry to end up in reinforced armor anyway... the extra 50 armor and a rifle slot sound enticing... plus some extra inventory space. That's what I'd want, as a non-max grunt.

So if one reinforced can wipe out you and your friends, also in reinforced, then YA'LL SUCK (in comparison to the 1 guy who just kicked yer butts)!
Old 2003-01-27, 05:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
quiet
Staff Sergeant

I'm sort of playing devils advocate here but imagine a situation like this:

3 reinforced armor grunts take on a tank,
both sides do considerable damage to each other,
say the tank is down to 15% armor
and 1 grunt is killed, the other 2 damaged
when
out pops the driver and gunner, both with no damage at all and AI weapons,
the damaged grunts that will (likely) be holding AT weapons will clearly be at a disadvantage.

I'm repeating myself but I really think Venofile has a sort of valid concern but the solution is in the entering/exiting animations.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion