Pop-A-Lock, Planetstyle - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What? Ten quotes an hour? Stop suppressing me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2003-02-04, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Serbitar
Sergeant

Most of the LOCKS will be broken in OFFTIME attacks. Just bring a good outfit with 1-2 Platoons at 3 o clock in the morning and nobody will be there to defend the continent lock.

(may not be fair, but it will be done this way)

"May the light shine at thee in the dark !"
R| Relativity
Old 2003-02-04, 10:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Airlift
It would be fun to try to grab up a terminal and crank out a squadron of mosquitos under the enemy's nose. On the other hand, if I got a second platoon for the break-in, I would probably just hit two bases instead of one. That would work as well as anything to diffuse the response.
I am not sure if I would want to split my forces to two different bases. All you need is to grab one base. Then, the lock is broken and you can have your faction's forces warping in. All your defensive focus should be on that one base.

If you are going to try to divert enemy forces to two bases, one of the bases should be a decoy, and most of your forces should be concentrated on defending the first base (maybe hack the decoy base a couple of seconds before you hack the real base so enemy forces go to the decoy first).

I think having geurilla ground troops and mosquitos feeding snipers and long range anti vehicular ground forces would be invalulable. The idea here is that these forces are trying to take advantage of the fact that they won't appear on radar. They would also change positions very often to aviod detection as long as possible. Think thorn in the enemy's side rather than a solid combat force. Snipers shoot any foot sodiers they see, and the anti vehicle guys have the ground troop delivery vehicles as their primary targets. The primary target for mosquitos would be galaxies.

Maybe the two platoon should be configured like this. Maybe one platoon "turtling"at one base, one squad of mosquitos (harrasing and feeding tactical info), one squad (half snipers, half anti vehicle)playing geurrilla style (surge implants would be nice), and a squad at a second base acting as a decoy (maybe they would mine the crap out of all the entrances to this base).

As an alternative, you could spawn tanks at the base instead of having geurilla forces and mosquitos, but I think a geurilla squad and a squad of mosquitos would be more effective.

Either way, one of the advanced hackers at the base is going to be very busy spawning vehicles.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.

Last edited by Lexington_Steele; 2003-02-04 at 10:54 AM.
Old 2003-02-04, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It's a tradeoff either way, but I would still task the platoons separately if I thought it was at all possible to cap a base with two squads. While it is true that you are splitting your forces, you are doing so with the intention of doubling your caps and giving the enemy more than one real headache to deal with at the same time. If we take a decoy base that we cannot hold it will only buy a limited window, but if we put solid defenses up in both bases, the chances are increased that at least one of them can hold on to the cap.
Old 2003-02-04, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
RageMaster
Corporal

I personally think the simplest strategy is the best. This would be to stick ALL your forces in one base, and try and hold it for the 15 minutes. You co-ordinate a MASS HART drop centered around one target. You'd need numbers, but as soon as the CP is hacked you've only got to sit there for 15 minutes before everyone can pour back through the warp-gate.

In 15 minutes I doubt the enemy would have a decent counter-offensive sorted. I'd imagine you'd be recieving mostly straggler groups defending surrounding bases as they do a mad charge to your position. 15 minutes is not a great deal of time in reality, and all a squad has to do is make sure enemy hackers dont get to the CP.

You'd go for the base you can re-cap and defend easiest. This might lead you to a base with good defense terrain, or a base with a specific vehicle lab so you can churn out vehicles, or a base with lots of pre-existing turret defences. Ideally you'd want a base on the coast, and particularly on a beach-head, so you only recieve ground attacks from one direction. You'd also want a base which you can get to quickly from your HART drop location. You might have to compromise on some of those aspects for others.

I doubt you'd need to get a load of units on the other side of the warp-gates, I'd imagine they'd be sitting there as soon as they see "Your forces have hacked a base in Cysorr, 15 minutes untill continental lock is released." I can see the broadcasting of such messages would gather enough forces for a retake of 3 bases after lockdown is released. After-all, your allies want to be where the fight is, otherwise they're not earning EP.

The dynamics of the game will bring the players together for huge battles. And even off-peak time. An outfit won't rampage through a continent, cuz the enemy factions off-peak outfits will most ceirtainly get wind of it and put up some resistance. If your faction controlls an entire continent and has it under lockdown, you will have a significant portion of your army defending it, even in off-peak.

I'd imagine potential to loose or break continental lock would be a message broadcast to the entire server over all 3 factions. Simply because its a 'big event' for the server. The GMs would have an obligation to let people know what's going on and where the major action is. Sure, when continental locking starts, all hell is gonna break loose. Forget your ideas about 30 unit HART insertions. Serious. Double the number twice over and see how that sits.

If I know a continental lock is goin down, I'd be there if my faction were attacking OR defending. Its a major event, every non smack-tard on the server would be there, just to say they were involved. Thats what happens in MOGs, especially after people have maxed out on BEP.

Last edited by RageMaster; 2003-02-04 at 11:50 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2003-02-04, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
SmokeJumper
PlanetSide Dev

Cool discussion. I love this thread.

A few things to keep in mind:

- 15 minutes is a long time to wait/fight without a bind. Therefore, jacking enemy AMSs and/or having good advanced medics along (for revive) will be critical. (I would try drop poding in a half-squad of stealthers to scout and find AMSs to jack, then steal them and drive them somewhere safe for the attack. Might not work...but I'd try it a few times just to see...)

- Gun towers are also important (bind positions). Probably want to hack those at the same time as you attack you chosen target facility.

- Unlike AMSs, you don't have an equip term at Towers, so be sure to stock your locker heavily beforehand with bullets, grenades, ACEs, medkits, repair kits, etc.

I won't list any more strategies. That takes the fun out of it. I look forward to reading more threads like this one.
Old 2003-02-04, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Thanks, Smoke!

That brings me to a few questions about assumptions I was making. You've mentioned the tower spawns as bindable, and elsewhere I had heard that you can opt to respawn at the nearest friendly spawn tube instead of your binds. Does that include the towers or would you have to manually bind in a tower to use it for respawning?

You mentioned that the towers don't have equipment terms, but do you respawn unarmed or with basic weapons?
Old 2003-02-04, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

Re: Thanks, Smoke!

Originally posted by Airlift
You mentioned that the towers don't have equipment terms, but do you respawn unarmed or with basic weapons?
^That's what I want to know
Old 2003-02-04, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Yogi
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by SmokeJumper

I look forward to reading more threads like this one.
Check out the tower's thread

[ Inquisition - Team Captain | Tribalwar PHP Guru | F*ck Duke ]
Old 2003-02-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by SmokeJumper
Cool discussion. I love this thread.

A few things to keep in mind:

- 15 minutes is a long time to wait/fight without a bind. Therefore, jacking enemy AMSs and/or having good advanced medics along (for revive) will be critical. (I would try drop poding in a half-squad of stealthers to scout and find AMSs to jack, then steal them and drive them somewhere safe for the attack. Might not work...but I'd try it a few times just to see...)

- Gun towers are also important (bind positions). Probably want to hack those at the same time as you attack you chosen target facility.

- Unlike AMSs, you don't have an equip term at Towers, so be sure to stock your locker heavily beforehand with bullets, grenades, ACEs, medkits, repair kits, etc.

I won't list any more strategies. That takes the fun out of it. I look forward to reading more threads like this one.
Your not using threads like this to steal tactics for your Terran Republic are you?

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-04, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Flameseeker
Captain

At the risk of sounding stupid, how would I host that pic so I can put it in my sig.
Old 2003-02-05, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Ludio
First Sergeant

Flameseeker, ask someone to do it, or sign up on angelfire or some other free hosting service, it only takes a couple of minutes.

SmokeJumper:

I would try drop poding in a half-squad of stealthers to scout and find AMSs to jack, then steal them and drive them somewhere safe for the attack.
Does that mean that you can't hack a vehicle pad for them?

All the other questions I was thinking of were already asked by Airlift, so make sure you answer those!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion