Ressource colection % based on players population and contestation ! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1 gun + another gun = 2 guns. Wow we are smart!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-25, 08:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stew
Major

Ressource colection % based on players population and contestation !

I would like to see a ressource colection % based on the actual players base of the servers ur playing on and on the actual contestations of each regions if a regions take like 6 hours to cap and almost 20000 people die to get it so the % of the ressrouce colection will be higher and if the based as been taken with no contestation the ressource collection % will be very low !

So big Figth Big chalenge = Big reward

No figth No chanlenge = almost no reward

thats can be a idea to fix bankroll silly tactics from people who already talk about been rich in Low pop servers !

Dont get me wrong i dont want to punish anyones in any way i want to fix a issue thats can be a unfair and silly for those who actually play figth and die for lands and those who try to exploits empty regions !

so I would like people wo understand this ans also put up some more idea to balanced thing to encourage players to figth big battle or full population servers or regions !

Lets say a servers is low population so the figth thats take place in a regions like lets say 50 vs 50 vs 50 will reward players as the same as servers who have 666 vs 666 vs 666 but those who try to cap empty regions with NO contestation will only get a fractions of the ressources normally offers !

So thats way people will want in order to suceed and figth to figth in the same regions of the continents

So when the population cap is low the IN GAME MISSION SYSTHEM give a mission for all 3 empire to capture a certain regions and only this one or FEW regions will allow players to harverst a decent amount of ressource and allow them to get awesome reward !

this will prevent regions farming and FREE ressources farming !
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Re: Ressource colection % based on players population and contestation !

Resource gain is split between things like actively fighting (i.e. more active fights with more going on will always get you more resources) as well as dividends from the territory your empire owns. So, this sort of takes care of itself! In a big fight, you'll get large rewards - win or lose, once the dust settles the empire that wins will continue to get base resources for that region, but the folks that participated in the battle will be getting a lot more up front.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Resource gain is split between things like actively fighting (i.e. more active fights with more going on will always get you more resources) as well as dividends from the territory your empire owns. So, this sort of takes care of itself! In a big fight, you'll get large rewards - win or lose, once the dust settles the empire that wins will continue to get base resources for that region, but the folks that participated in the battle will be getting a lot more up front.
Roughly how effective is the resource gain from fighting? Is it enough to give someone a few handouts or is it enough to sustain them regardless of the rest of the continental situation?

Is the resource gain from fighting limited to the resource type offered by the territory being contested or are all resources awarded?
Old 2012-04-25, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Stew
Major

Thats nice but if there any mechanics thats will make (( empty regions ))to not worth it in the (( dead zone hours )) of a certain servers ?

So i mean no contestation will take a way to much time to cap the regions so that will not worth it so players will be concentrate mostly on regions thats actual figth take place ?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Thats nice but if there any mechanics thats will make (( empty regions ))to not worth it in the (( dead zone hours )) of a certain servers ?

So i mean no contestation will take a way to much time to cap the regions so that will not worth it so players will be concentrate mostly on regions thats actual figth take place ?
If dividend payouts are based on relative population then it sorts itself naturally. If no enemies are on the continent your payout is terrible. If its even or better then its a lot more.

And if fighting increases resource rewards then no population => no fighting => no resources.

With those mechanics I think it could balance itself naturally.
Old 2012-04-25, 08:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

Sounds good
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Roughly how effective is the resource gain from fighting? Is it enough to give someone a few handouts or is it enough to sustain them regardless of the rest of the continental situation?

Is the resource gain from fighting limited to the resource type offered by the territory being contested or are all resources awarded?
Plan right now is you gain resources based on the region you're fighting in. One of the main objectives is to allow you to sustain a fight when you're 0-based on the continent. You won't be cashing any fat checks, but ideally you'll be able to keep yourself equipped in vehicles, etc., when you're assaulting a region that gives you lots of resources. It also makes it so it's not an all-or-nothing thing with winning and losing, if you are participating actively in a defense or an assault, regardless of the result, you'll get some benefit for being involved, especially if it's a large scale battle.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Stew View Post

You're pretty caught up on what goes on during off-peak hours. You will ALWAYS have the late night crews that go around taking everything they can before a large amount of people are logged back on. On the other hand, it's likely that all three empires will have people like this. If there's a fight between them they'll get more resources than if they were to simply have taken the hex and gone onto the next with no fight at all. If they DO just go around taking hexes without anyone to stop them? Sure, they're going to get resources for it even if it's no where near as much as it would be during a fight. TBH it feels like you want resource gain to be turned off during off peak hours, which won't happen lol.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stew
Major

Plan right now is you gain resources based on the region you're fighting in. One of the main objectives is to allow you to sustain a fight when you're 0-based on the continent. You won't be cashing any fat checks, but ideally you'll be able to keep yourself equipped in vehicles, etc., when you're assaulting a region that gives you lots of resources. It also makes it so it's not an all-or-nothing thing with winning and losing, if you are participating actively in a defense or an assault, regardless of the result, you'll get some benefit for being involved, especially if it's a large scale battle.
Sounds good
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I like where this is going. Helps address a multitude of issues elegantly and simply. Seems to me the only way to make resources matter but not completely make it one-sided. Sounds like those fighting would need to still be efficient with resources and manage them appropriately but they wont' be gimped.

This concept of "region" is new, which I expect is a set of territories. How many regions per continent? Is it one-facility-per-region, sort of like little capitals?

Since a given resource means different things for empires it makes sense that you would bundle the resources together into regions for the purpose of defining proximity and participation-based rewards.

Sort of like the old PS1 experience system and capture system. More people around and fighting = more xp for the capture/resecure. I always liked that concept, it scaled nicely and made those hard fought bases worth more. Awarding resources over time for participation in such battles makes sense too, otherwise we'd exhaust our supply and the battle would wind down to a lot of footzerging.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-04-25 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Yes, would love a definition of Regions... following Malorn's assumption, it is more than a Hex and less than a Continent

Are resource nodes based on a per hex basis? If this is the case, then fighting on and holding all the hexes of a certain region would perhaps provide a few different types of resources and plenty of resources in general.

An army assaulting this region might be making just enough resources from gameplay bonuses to keep pulling tanks if they are needed, but would have to be careful to balance thier K/D etc...

As they gain a foothold and eventually take more hexes in that region, they will start to gain resources faster through the addition of the automatic region generation bonus.

One thing i don't understand is... how do you gain resources while you are off-line then? I thought that was part of the system?

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-25, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
Yes, would love a definition of Regions... following Malorn's assumption, it is more than a Hex and less than a Continent

?
I think regions will be multiple HEX thats are influenced by a base ,outpost, facility, towers etc..

but each regions are going to have many differents zize in the HEx counts !

But the topic is more about having Empty Hex with no populations hard to cap and rewards less or NULL !

And higby seams to said that the regions where most thing are going on will be the place to be !

So in low populations hours or servers the ressource colections will be proportional of the players count actually figthing in the zone and also based on whats thing going on !
Old 2012-04-26, 12:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Brusi
Contributor
Major

No need to nerf the rates of resource accumulation from Hex's owned at different time's of the day (peak vs offpeak)... because it's going to be pretty damn boring sitting in a non-contested area, just so that you can farm resources!

If PS2 is anything like Planetside in terms of off-peak battles (and for the love of god i hope it isn't), then no-one is going to waste their time sitting idly somewhere to collect resources, they will be scouring Auraxis for any action they can! Even if it means ignoring regions of strategic benefit to their empire!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-04-26, 02:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
No need to nerf the rates of resource accumulation

then no-one is going to waste their time sitting idly somewhere to collect resources, they will be scouring Auraxis for any action they can! Even if it means ignoring regions of strategic benefit to their empire!
Do not underestimate Exploiters as long as this game is a free to play theyr will be tons of palywers up to farm ressource from empty regions if they are allowed to do so !
Old 2012-04-26, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

This sounds like a really cool system. I just hope there are some measures in place to reward the people who leave a big fight to stop back-hacks and rogue forces.

Either way, I'm excited to hear that players will generally be encouraged to head straight for the biggest fights. While some of the most memorable Planetside experiences are simple last minute hotdrops and drawn-out tower cap scenarios, the massive fights are what is really going to bring in new players in droves.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion