Planetside to the XBOX???????????? Yes, maybe.. we shall see.. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who needs food, I've got planetside.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-21, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Planetside to the XBOX???????????? Yes, maybe.. we shall see..

SUNLeader
Station Member
Registered: Mar 2001 posted 01-20-2003 07:00 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, I have been away from PS Forums for awhile, so this may have been discussed, and it is just something I was thinking about. So plz be mature and no flames. A difference of opinion i can handle, but i know that some people can go off there rocker on things like this.
Anyway, in the FAQ it says that PS is not planing on coming out to any other platform then the PC. However I was thinking today while I was playing MechAssult on my xbox, that if PS is a online game only, and it requires a fee to play, then why couldnt it someday come out on xbox live? Its no different then the computer. You cannot play the game offline, so you get on the internet and play. Could they not do the same thing with xbox live? I mean seriously, what is the difference of xbox live, and playing your favorite FPS on the computer? Now granted they would have to boost the xbox's performance to handle PS, but couldnt it be possible? Why not even make Everquest for xbox? Or any other game for that matter. And for payment, you could just add it to you xbox live bill. Now, if you can grasp that concept, I had another idea. If xbox's are playing the same online games as the computers, then could we not someday see a merge of platforms. Me playing PS on my computer aginst people, some of who would just be using there xbox?

I dont see any reason as to why that would not work? I am not suggesting that they do this, or making any claims, its just something that poped into my head today, and I thought i would sare it with everyone.

Thanks and Laterz

Drum roll please as SJ explains

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 01-21-2003 03:42 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few random, and UNOFFICIAL, thoughts about PlanetSide on a console:
a) Cool. If it can be done well, then I'd be open to doing it. I'd love to be the biggest, baddest FPS on a console, in addition to the PC.

b) Since we're a Sony company, we'd probably look into the PS2 first. Heck...probably has nothing to do with it...for sure we'd do that. Can we make a port on the Xbox? Probably. I'd have to talk to folks about it. And I'm personally open to the idea.

c) If Tribes 2 can get onto the PS2, then there's probably a way to get PS onto a console also. It'd be about as hard as a port could possibly be...but it should be possible.

d) If we did a console version of PS, it would almost certainly (approx 99.999% sure) that it would be a completely seperate product, with different servers and different customers. It would also probably be highly customized to work well with console hardware and gamers (who have very different expectations than PC gamers).

So...all-in-all...I'd be happy to explore doing a console PlanetSide experience for SOE. But I know how much work it would be, so I'd be going in with eyes wide open.

Make sense?

SmokeJumperPS
Station Admin
Registered: Sep 2001 posted 01-21-2003 03:46 PM user search report post
Oh...and by the way...there are still no plans to port PlanetSide to a console. Not yet anyway.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p.../001732-2.html
Old 2003-01-21, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-01-21, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

SOP from SJ, a yes, a no and a maybe all rolled up into one... hes goood.
Old 2003-01-21, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

I'd just like to know how the heck will a next gen console run a game like PS.
Old 2003-01-21, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I'm no fanboy, but the PS2 would suck ass on a game like this. It's an old outdated system, with shoddy graphics. The XBOX could pull it off, but only on a muck smaller scale like 1/5 or so.

Nav

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-21, 11:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
TGF NightHawk
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by {BOHICA}Navaron
I'm no fanboy, but the PS2 would suck ass on a game like this. It's an old outdated system, with shoddy graphics. The XBOX could pull it off, but only on a muck smaller scale like 1/5 or so.

Nav
I will have to disagree with that comment! Xbox is no better than Playstation, or vice versa! They are about equal in graphics....not sure how long it takes to load a game up on Xbox, but the only downfall I noticed on Playstation is loading time is a bit sluggish!
Old 2003-01-22, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ludio
First Sergeant

Actually the Xbox is the most powerfull console (from a hardware standpoint). This means that it would be better at handling a game such as Planetside.

Of course the controls would suck, I hate using gamepads for fps, mice/keyboards are just so much better.

Why cant those annoying consoles just go away so that I can play all the games on PC...I really hate waiting for good games, and I know some of them such as Metroid Prime will probably never be ported...*sigh*...more things to spend money on.
Old 2003-01-22, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

I'm sure if they ever did, it would be on the PS3.
Old 2003-01-22, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by TGF NightHawk
Xbox is no better than Playstation, or vice versa! They are about equal in graphics.
lol

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-01-22, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-24, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lillemanden
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by TGF NightHawk
I will have to disagree with that comment! Xbox is no better than Playstation, or vice versa! They are about equal in graphics....not sure how long it takes to load a game up on Xbox, but the only downfall I noticed on Playstation is loading time is a bit sluggish!
LOL, You have no idea what you're talking about. The XBOX is suprior to the PS2 (I asume that by Playstation you mean PS2 and not the org. Playstation ).
And you can't compare consoles by loading time. Even if it's the same game on both consoles, things would most likely be "bigger and better" on the Xbox, so there would be more to load.
And I really can't see how you could think otherwise, I mean, isn't there something like a year between the two consoles?
Old 2003-01-25, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Wolfberg
Private

Old 2003-01-25, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
TGF NightHawk
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by Lillemanden
LOL, You have no idea what you're talking about. The XBOX is suprior to the PS2 (I asume that by Playstation you mean PS2 and not the org. Playstation ).
And you can't compare consoles by loading time. Even if it's the same game on both consoles, things would most likely be "bigger and better" on the Xbox, so there would be more to load.
And I really can't see how you could think otherwise, I mean, isn't there something like a year between the two consoles?
Well, it's MY opinion and I can say whatever in the hell I want to...right? It really doesn't matter which system you purchase, their outdated as soon as you buy them. I learned that long ago, stick to pc's, at least you can upgrade as needed!!
Old 2003-01-26, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
BLuE_ZeRO
l33t Whore
#manlove op

You can say whatever you want but you're completely wrong. You should probably read some specs of the consoles before you post something that retarded. Not to sound cruel or anything but you are very misinformed if you think the PS2 is anything like the xbox.
Old 2003-01-26, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

point to the hard drive on your ps2.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion