Indirect Artillery Vehicle - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "So, a sniper and an advanced medic walk into a bar..."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-05, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
moosepoop
Captain

Re: Indirect Artillery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
But then wouldn't it require Anti-Air support?

Which would then require Anti-Tank Support?

Which would then require Anti-Infantry Support?
OH NO! team work!
Old 2013-05-05, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
You must be new around here or you would know that when an idea isn't totally a bad one, I do try to make it work. Artillery is a very good idea if you want to ruin the game. And besides that, PS2 maps aren't big enough for artillery. I mean, MBTs can already shell targets 1000 m away... and so can Libs. So what niche is the Artillery going to fill that isn't already taken?
Easy, shelling things 2000 meters way!
Heyuk yuk yuk!
Old 2013-05-05, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Staticelf
Sergeant

You must be new around here or you would know that when an idea isn't totally a bad one, I do try to make it work. Artillery is a very good idea if you want to ruin the game. And besides that, PS2 maps aren't big enough for artillery. I mean, MBTs can already shell targets 1000 m away... and so can Libs. So what niche is the Artillery going to fill that isn't already taken?
Ummmmmmmmm. It might fill the......wait for it......indirect artillery niche. Unless a new patch has made MBTs able to shoot arcing shots over elevated terrain my answer is Indirect Artillery....who says artillery has to shoot all the way across the map!? Per most of my posts above I think the range should be very short (as in it you cant shoot from most bases and hit other bases) but very strong blasts.

By the way "Artillery is a very good Idea if you want to ruin the game" is in no way, shape, or form constructive criticism.....please refer to my post....which you quoted...again. Then post how we could fix the problems you love coming up with...

Last edited by Staticelf; 2013-05-05 at 01:36 PM.
Old 2013-05-05, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Shogun
Contributor
General

the only artillery that would not end up in a spawnspamming fest would look like this:

a big turret at the middle of a base (like that giant prop gun in the techplant).
being able to shoot only outside the perimeter of the base, and only not far enough to hit a spawnroom of another base.

it would need a spotter who might use a laserpointer on a target, which projects a firing direction directly at the gunners hud. maybe a reticule/waypoint like thing. aiming at this indicator would shoot at the position the laser was pointed at last.

using the pointer again would update the direction indicator for the gunner.
if squadmates use pointers, multiple directionindicators could be produced, marked with the squadmatenumbers.

that or something along those lines might work as artillery, but i still think the space between bases isn´t big enough to make this useful. at least not on indar. might be an idea for the icecont, where there is a lot of open space. and might be a fun job to use the laserpointer from a rumbling seat.

but really, this artillery must at all costs be unable to shoot at any spawnroom.
maybe the gun is programmed to protect buildings and can only be fired when no building is in the projectiles blast radius.
and i doubt, that the devs will design such a complicated limited weapon.
and as much fun it could be to be the one who uses this cannon, artillery will never add any fun to the recieving end. it´s another instadeath from nowhere, and ps2 really has enough of that already.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-05, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

I would love to have a stationary artillery device in the middle of a base that can lob explosives out at attackers.

Slow firing rate, inaccurate as hell, somewhat better with painted targets.

It could work similar to the mortar in BF3, with a top-down view that can only see targets that are being sighted.

Would give LA's something interesting to do, if the super-mortar was powerful enough to threaten sunderers.
Old 2013-05-05, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Staticelf
Sergeant

Ok so lets consolidate this idea...

-A battery of artillery cannon turrets located within the interior of the bases. (not on the walls)
-They can't fire far enough to reach other bases and cant land shells inside their own base
-With good spotting and adjustments they could deal with that annoying sunderer parked on/behind the mountain ridge overlooking the base you are defending.
-Damage is about the same as main battle tank round (so flak armor inf. could survive it unless it was an unlucky direct hit)
-They can be hacked/destroyed just like other turrets.
-Spotters (probably infiltrators) with a spotting tool can make marked targets show up on firing map that artillery gunner is viewing to shoot the gun.
-Second person can load the gun between shots with an "E" button action similar to hacking terminals/overloading Generators. Otherwise gunner has to load gun and then fire from the artillery map screen. (so slower fire rate with just one man)

Anyone see any problems with these? If so please at least try to give a suggestion on how to fix the problem you see.

Last edited by Staticelf; 2013-05-05 at 05:06 PM.
Old 2013-05-05, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Shogun
Contributor
General

it should only be able to fire when there is an active spotter because this should only be used by players who like teamplay. it should not carter to lazyspammers in any way. and since there is only a very limited number of those turrets (i would say make it a special for one basetype that could use some help with defence), you don´t want to find this weapon occupied by a lonewulf, so disencouraging them with this limit gives a better chance for teamplayers to use this thing.

maybe you need to cert it in the leader section?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-05, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Staticelf View Post
Then post how we could fix the problems you love coming up with...
I don't want to fix the problems. I don't want artillery. It has no place in either PlanetSide, and forcing it on the players doesn't change that.

Old 2013-05-05, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Staticelf
Sergeant

It could be team oriented by making it so that spotters can only spot for squad/platoon mates. So without a spotter the gunner is firing blind. He cant see any enemy on his map. He only can see where his rounds land on the map. (So he might get lucky every once in a while.) also with no loader firing eould be tedious because he would have to get out to load it then get in and fire blind. Not a lone wolf weapon.
Old 2013-05-05, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Staticelf
Sergeant

I don't want to fix the problems. I don't want artillery. It has no place in either PlanetSide, and forcing it on the players doesn't change that.
We have noted your dislike. "Baneblade say: Food good! Artillery bad!" Got it.

If you dont want to fix the problems here there are many other posts in the forum full of other ideas for you to "not want in Planetside"...may I suggest the one on base changes, or maybe the new fighter bomber idea post that looked promising.

My completely theoretical idea on a public forum is in no way being forced upon you hero.

And fortunately for us all what you "dont want" in our game is just as weightless as any of my ideas...

Last edited by Staticelf; 2013-05-05 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2013-05-05, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think it is cute you think talking down to me is somehow not making you look like a retard. Keep it up, you will sink yourself for me.

Old 2013-05-05, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Staticelf View Post
For those not familiar with constructive criticism it goes like this...
"Your idea stinks...but maybe if you did X it would be more viable"

If its a bad idea in your opinion how could it be modified to be a better idea...not just dismissed.
Bases would have to be changed before artillery can be implemented. Till then there's no point discussing artillery.
Old 2013-05-05, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Staticelf
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Bases would have to be changed before artillery can be implemented. Till then there's no point discussing artillery.
Ok what changes? Please expand.
That is the point of all these forum discussions....theoretical artillery can easily lead to theoretical base changes to make the artillery work. (so it is on topic)

Post up some of the changes that need to be made to make the bases artillery compatible please.

(And to baneblade I wasnt talking down to you I was trying to nicely tell you to go post somewhere else as your posts are not furthering the conversation...so until you have something to add that is beneficial....good day to you, sir.)
Old 2013-05-05, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
But perhaps Artillery would FORCE them to change the Bases so they have better Air cover?
Old 2013-05-05, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

But they won't paint themselves into that type of corner. That large a change in base designs will set the Roadmap back six months, easily.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion