Gameplay: Dedicated driver certification for MBT - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This quote will deconstruct in five seconds.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.21 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-07-15, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Azren
Sergeant Major

Dedicated driver certification for MBT

Dedicated driver cert for MBT

I know that the developers of PS2 were playing with the idea of unlocking the main gun to the gunner with a cert, however to both reinforce the notion of having this option and to see how the community thinks about the details, I will write up my suggestion on the topic.

First of all, I belive that a cert that allows us to play as dedicated driver should be included in the game, preferably already at beta. It really is the best option to please the widest range of players.

Details

- Do not reduce any of the vehicle's stats when the cert is selected

- If selected, the tank turns into a 3 man vehicle.

- If only one gunner is present, he/she should be able to select which gun to fire. In this case both guns would follow the mouse cursor, but only one could be fired at a time (similar to how vanguards work in PS1). This option is not a big boost since we can already hot-swap seats instantly, more of a convinience.

- Make the "dedicated driver" cert avaiable without having to put any points into the MBT tree. This should be an option which lets you select a playstyle, not a reward along the road.

- To make it work with the Magrider, change the model a little, so it has a rotatable turret. This turret would be in a fixed forward position, if the "dedicated gunner" cert is not selected, but would function as a normal turret otherwise.

Here is an illustration about how it would look like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mag.png
Views:	1514
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	776  
Old 2012-07-15, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Ravenclaw
Private

Re: Dedicated driver certification for MBT

I think dedicated driver cert should also bring few other minor benefits, like better manuverability and speed that stacks with the general manuverabilty/speed certs.

Perhaps also driver can get some additional UI features that boost awareness that only he can see, this will in turn help him improve his driving by being aware of threats not directly in front of him.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AzureWatcher
Staff Sergeant

Wouldn't work. The magrider can already strafe left-right, which is why the cannon is fixed. This will give the magrider ungodly maneuverability.

People will still abuse the system by going in alone with a certed MBT and switch between the cannon and driver when he wants to fire/shoot. He'd also gain benefits of the buffs you mention as well.

I can forsee a lot of these guys parked on a hill or plateau and acting as artillery for l33t KDR.
Old 2012-07-15, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cuross
Master Sergeant

Well, I'm' pretty sure that they can take away the driver seat hotswap if someone wanted to be a dedicated driver. I rather like the idea of dedicated drivers because, well, to be honest, I haven't seen a shortage of vanguard, prowler, or even buggy drivers in PS1 these days haha. Now, before anyone says "Most of them are playing with friends", come on, do you really think that is going to stop some people from playing dedicated drivers in pick up squads? :P So long as the driver gets assist exp for driving, then I don't see a problem

And the Magrider already has ungodly maneuverability for a tank. I don't see why the left-right strafe can't support a designated driver and designated gunner, we have already seen it in PS1 working and I think the Magrider was a beautiful tank to gun for. Give them a third gunner or the ability to switch between chaingun/flak and the main cannon like the Vanguard and I just can't see the problem. They are a really squishy tank compared to the other two Empire's MBT's which is why they have that maneuverability.

Last edited by Cuross; 2012-07-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ratstomper
Major

Sounds alright. Obviously the magider would have to be changed substantially...more substantially than I initially thought. If they can do that...

...then I'm good with it. I don't think it should give any added bonuses to the tank. The purpose is to allow people the classic MBT style of control, not make it "better" than the current one.

Originally Posted by Cuross View Post
And the Magrider already has ungodly maneuverability for a tank. I don't see why the left-right strafe can't support a designated driver and designated gunner, we have already seen it in PS1 working and I think the Magrider was a beautiful tank to gun for. Give them a third gunner or the ability to switch between chaingun/flak and the main cannon like the Vanguard and I just can't see the problem. They are a really squishy tank compared to the other two Empire's MBT's which is why they have that maneuverability.
A thought: Why not just give the main gun a little more wiggle room than it has now? Something that an independent gunner can aim, but has to shoot in the general direction the tank is facing?

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-07-15 at 08:24 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by AzureWatcher View Post
Wouldn't work. The magrider can already strafe left-right, which is why the cannon is fixed. This will give the magrider ungodly maneuverability.

People will still abuse the system by going in alone with a certed MBT and switch between the cannon and driver when he wants to fire/shoot. He'd also gain benefits of the buffs you mention as well.

I can forsee a lot of these guys parked on a hill or plateau and acting as artillery for l33t KDR.
The cannon is fixed because you can not implement controls on a PC where one man can turn, strafe and rotate the turret all at once. With the other tanks the strafe button is used for turning, but in case of the magrider it actually strafes like an infantry.

I do not see how this would increase their use as artillery platforms. We can already do that with the PS2 system.

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
A thought: Why not just give the main gun a little more wiggle room than it has now? Something that an independent gunner can aim, but has to shoot in the general direction the tank is facing?
Would not be much fun for the gunner, and it would take away the general purpose of this suggestion. At the price of needing a gunner to use any of the guns, a 360° turret should not be too steep.
Old 2012-07-16, 12:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Azren View Post
- Make the "dedicated driver" cert avaiable without having to put any points into the MBT tree. This should be an option which lets you select a playstyle, not a reward along the road.
So.. it shouldn't require "dedication" to get?

How about if it was only purchasable through the cash shop?

Last edited by BlueSkies; 2012-07-16 at 12:31 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eggy
Sergeant

Building on the initial post and the other ideas suggested.

1/. There is a dedicated driver cert. Its up the tree, earnt through play and not given as a default.

2/. Not sure about the need for connected guns. It just seems work where it isnt needed. We can allready hot swap. The delay here, would just need to be added to make it not OP so we dont gain much.

3/. If the cert is taken. The driver looses the abilty to hot swap to the other seat but gains some small peformance boost to speed, torque etc.

4/. The mag needs something more. Would making the big turret only have 270 degree arc when a dedicated driver is in work? So 1 of the guns wont be abel to shoot direclty behind the tank but, the tank is more manouverable than the others due to straffe. And it retains the forward firing gun if the cert isnt taken.

Can the PS2-Mag shoot up and down? or is it literaly a static forward only gun?

Last edited by Eggy; 2012-07-16 at 04:45 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

As you know I'm highly against any form of overlap between solo and multi-crew units.

I can't see how this type of certification has a workable manpower balance solution. Unless you increase the hitpoints of a driver only tank by about 50%, it's not worth it.

Simply because it's retarded that you have to invest certs just to strip both hitpoints and firepower from your team in one go.

Originally Posted by Eggy View Post
Check out the initial teaser trailer. It can.
Old 2012-07-16, 05:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Azren
Sergeant Major

1/. There is a dedicated driver cert. Its up the tree, earnt through play and not given as a default.
In my suggestion it is a default because it is not an upgrade to the MBT, it does not give you a plus, it is more like a choice in playstyle.

2/. Not sure about the need for connected guns. It just seems work where it isnt needed. We can allready hot swap. The delay here, would just need to be added to make it not OP so we dont gain much.
The default MBT can shoot both guns at the same time with two players. The "dedicated driver" MBT can only shoot one with two players. Allowing the gunner to chose which to shoot without having to swap seats is not much of a bonus, defenetly not OP.

3/. If the cert is taken. The driver looses the abilty to hot swap to the other seat but gains some small peformance boost to speed, torque etc.
Agreed on no hot swap. Don't think it needs any boost though.

4/. The mag needs something more. Would making the big turret only have 270 degree arc when a dedicated driver is in work? So 1 of the guns wont be abel to shoot direclty behind the tank but, the tank is more manouverable than the others due to straffe. And it retains the forward firing gun if the cert isnt taken.
I disagree. The balance between MBTs should not be set like this.
360° gun won't make it OP if you consider that the vehicle loses half it's firepower by selecting this option, or requires an additional player to operate on the same level as the normal MBT.

It can. Saw a video of one taking down a Mosquito in one hit.

Last edited by Azren; 2012-07-16 at 05:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
fod
Master Sergeant

i agree with the OP X10000 (over 9000.!)
anything that lets me have separate driver and gunners im all in for

also make the mag have a rotating turret (like the OP mentions) - i dont see why it was even changed in the first place

...then I'm good with it. I don't think it should give any added bonuses to the tank. The purpose is to allow people the classic MBT style of control, not make it "better" than the current one.
we finally agree on something

Last edited by fod; 2012-07-16 at 05:38 AM.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I would agree with this post if they put the magrider on tracks like the other two tanks.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

Sounds alright. Obviously the magider would have to be changed substantially...more substantially than I initially thought. If they can do that...
That's the problem, you don't think things through that are obvious.

Yeaaaah. Imagine you'd have to work harder as a solist to compete with MBTs that are properly driven and give up individual power for group power.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I would agree with this post if they put the magrider on tracks like the other two tanks.
then we give up our empires ability - if so the TR should fire slower and the NC do less damage per shot which dont make sense at all

TR fire fastest
NC hit hardest
VS agility and maneuverability
Old 2012-07-16, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Such a change is not required. They worked out how to balance the MBTs in PS1, they can work it out in PS2 too. It has to do with change in firepower armor and speed.

Besides, strafeing is not all that useful as it sounds

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault