H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2 - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You! Out of the gene pool
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-04-13, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Re: H1Z1 and the cannibalization of Planetside 2

Everyone is so down right now, and that's coming from me! Right now, PS2 is not in a horrible state. Population seems pretty stable and I honestly don't see any glaring issues.
Not really down, just baffled by seemingly bizzare and brazen decisions that makes us reconsider the game's longterm survival. If SOE has already allocated the next year's funds for Planetside 2 then I don't really think there's cause for alarm, and I'd be content with the current development pace. Especially with their dropping the whole weekly patch nonsense... I'd even hope they go back to OMFG mega patches, replete with dev diary videos.

Three reasons why I doubt this is the case however:
  • "Upgrade Now" was out of the blue with poor timing, and felt like a push by higher ups. (If you care about the game, do you really put the button in such a terrible place?)
  • RadarX (Ryan) is really pushing for people to tell their friends and stream videos... despite having basically admitted that the game's recent patches have borked the momentum and requires some time to fix. How about after things are stable again?
  • H1Z1 was unveiled without cinematic trailers or any razzle dazzle of any kind. It suggests everything's in a low expenditure mode.

It'll be what it'll be (It's a videogame, remember?), and I still enjoy Planetside 2 for the two reasons I play it: A) Sniping people and B) Pew pewing ground troops with my Airhammer. As long as I can do those two things, well meh, I'm pretty good. Playing with Platoons and Outfits are fun up until you realize that the continent you painstakingly captured gets re-taken in minutes, and whenever a fight's too hard people just jump "maps".

When I think of the tactical game and what it could be (say, compared to PS1?) is when things get aggravating. I suppose with PS1 going free to play soon I'll just hop into PS1 to get my tactical fix, PS2 to get my sniping fix, and hopefully the guys at Respawn Entertainment put it all together with a Titanfall MMO. Or something.
Old 2014-04-13, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
JohnnyRicardo
Corporal

I'm actually quite excited about that zombie mmo. I sure hope it's gonna be as good as it looks right now.
Old 2014-04-13, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Until Planetside 2 is half the game it was supposed to be, I won't support any future SoE games.

Good luck to them trying to cash in on the zombie fad. Hopefully they don't make a beta out of that game for a year too.
Old 2014-04-14, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
ringring
Contributor
General

Well Clegg has announced that he is now on H1Z1. No announcement of a replacement.
Old 2014-04-14, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Oh great. Probably one of the most talented people on the team. You see, that's a much bigger threat. Not player cannibalization, but the siphoning of resources.
Old 2014-04-14, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Oh great. Probably one of the most talented people on the team. You see, that's a much bigger threat. Not player cannibalization, but the siphoning of resources.
Depends. They've got a lot of positions they're hiring for, and fresh blood might not be all that bad an idea. Although, to do this properly I'd prefer it was an all new crew altogether...

Trying to make lemonade out of lemons here.

(Nah, losing Clegger is a huge loss. He was one of PS2's only public relation buffers who could genuinely seem enthusiastic about the game and "say it how it is" without feeling like he was hiding something.)

(OMFG dev diary videos in the next few weeks would be best to show everyone that everything is fine.)

Last edited by Edfishy; 2014-04-14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 2014-04-14, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Hamma
PSU Admin

H1Z1 changes nothing with the ongoing development of PlanetSide 2.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2014-04-14, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Well Hamma, you've got the inside scoop and probably have had more candid conversations with the developers than anyone else. If you say so then we can believe it.

Old 2014-04-14, 08:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Hamma
PSU Admin

It's just that anytime something big or unexpected occurs everyone runs around like the sky is falling and the game is dead. They have obviously been working on this game for some time and it really indicates nothing. It's as absurd as saying landmark means planetside 2 is doomed.

Old 2014-04-14, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma
It's as absurd as saying landmark means planetside 2 is doomed.

Old 2014-04-14, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Sorry, but I'm going to call bullshit on that 100%. It's clearly having effects and changes on the development. If Clegg is getting pull off of Planetside 2 for The Zombie game, that's a non-debatable change and effect.

I'm not saying the sky is falling about the game, but it's not rocket science to see this games numbers are pretty meh now. Not to mention even the posts and activity on this forum alone are a shadow of what it once was.

As far as the zombie game killing planetside 2 dev, who knows? It wouldnt be the first time SOE put a game by the wayside for itto slowly bleed out and die.

Im guessing with the upcoming release on the PS4, they are still trying to push the game forward. I won't say the game is dead, they are obviously still working on it, but the content & optimization flow has been pathetic. And it's a shame this game has gone the route it did, its turned into a good example of everything I hate about the industry.

But, who knows what the future will bring. I hope the game reaches a new height and becomes an awesome example of what an mmofps should be.

Last edited by ShadoViper; 2014-04-14 at 09:37 PM.
Old 2014-04-14, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Hamma
PSU Admin

You can call bs if you want but one dev does not make a team no matter how awesome Clegg is.

Old 2014-04-14, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

See, I think they'll hire to make up the numbers (at least I hope), but I'm more worried about talent drain.
Old 2014-04-15, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Skittles
Sergeant

You can call bs if you want but one dev does not make a team no matter how awesome Clegg is.
What kind of horseshit analogy is that? LeBron no matter how awesome he is doesn't make a team. Jeter. Brady. Messi. Pfft. Pulling recognized names and 'publicly liked' names off teams is a sure fire way of getting attention by those that pay attention to those kinds of things.

Sitting the kid or moving the kid you got from triple-A or the third string practice squad doesn't make splashes or turn heads. Especially when you move those players to teams that aren't even in a playoff hunt for their respective leagues.
Old 2014-04-15, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
typhaon
Sergeant Major

I suspect that people expressing frustration aren't especially impressed with things like the direction, pace, and quality of "the ongoing development of Planetside 2."

So... while what you said may be true...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion