ADAD (Strafe) Spam - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now Fat free
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-14, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info
Re: ADAD (Strafe) Spam

Here's how you fix warping. Planetside uses a form of clientside called extrapolation. Basically, walk forward for 5 seconds and stop. Bam, you just warped a little. You may not see it, and it may not be a lot. As your PC sends packets to the server, the server predicts where you're going to move to next. If you suddenly stop, the last packet before that received by the server will still have you moving forward, when the server receives the packet after you stopped, you'll warp back to that position. warping is just the server's inability to predict where your avatar should be at.

The solution? don't use extrapolation in PS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28...29#Client-side
Old 2011-07-14, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Then what the fuck is the point of heavy assault and shotguns?
I don't really get what this question is referring to. Are you saying there's no reason to use a shotgun if you can't circle strafe, or if the game is more cover based?

Heavier guns and shotguns have plenty of usage in the faster TTK, more cover based games.
Part of the point of shotguns is the spread makes it easier to put damage on target with an off-the-hip shot. Not to mention the typical massive close range damage capability.
It is a charge in and fuck shit up gun...even in games like CS:S and BC2.

Heavy weapons are more powerful but more situational.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-07-14, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Here's how you fix warping. Planetside uses a form of clientside called extrapolation. Basically, walk forward for 5 seconds and stop. Bam, you just warped a little. You may not see it, and it may not be a lot. As your PC sends packets to the server, the server predicts where you're going to move to next. If you suddenly stop, the last packet before that received by the server will still have you moving forward, when the server receives the packet after you stopped, you'll warp back to that position. warping is just the server's inability to predict where your avatar should be at.

The solution? don't use extrapolation in PS2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_%28...29#Client-side
Yay someone gets it.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

Yay someone gets it.
I think hes about one of about 10 people who play planetside that understands why people warp.

Planetside also sends ticks at about 5-7 per second, this is extreamly low, coupled with extra polation...yea, the corrections(or warp) you see onscreen are huge.

Planetside 2 i highly doubt will use this code, it will use interpolation where your client renders peoples movment between the last 2 packet received. you see everything 1 packet behind the data you have recived, but everything moves smoothly...most of the time. depending on the tickrate though, you may still see some whacky shit...like people walk through colloums...and im sure the new thing will be OMG CLIP HACKS!!!
Old 2011-07-14, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nice post Effective!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-14, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yup. If they can fix their shit, which I assume they will, ADADA should stay.

If not, add inertia or something.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Punker
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Heavier guns and shotguns have plenty of usage in the faster TTK, more cover based games.
/agreed

Planetside's TTK is fairly long, and you'll really only see ADAD spamming in 1 on 1 skrimishes. It's not like you're both going to sit still and see who can get the most shots off first.

With the TTK lowered it shouldn't be as effective as it is now, but regardless - you'll still see it, it's been part of nearly every FPS game i've played since quake and imho if it gives you the edge against another player i don't see why people shouldn't be doing it.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm pretty sure tactics will still trump...monkey movement, as you like to say. For example, I can be a great twitch player, but if you are behind cover and have a couple of teammates with you, all the circle strafing in the world won't beat you.
Needing to overrun a person with manpower do to the game coding stupidity stacking the odds in his favor because he's a Monkey on crack is not a valid tactic.

that's about the same as someone playing a super overpowered char in a RPG type game and needing to stunlock him with your team for 10+ seconds because that char was coded badly.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
Needing to overrun a person with manpower do to the game coding stupidity stacking the odds in his favor because he's a Monkey on crack is not a valid tactic.

that's about the same as someone playing a super overpowered char in a RPG type game and needing to stunlock him with your team for 10+ seconds because that char was coded badly.
Do ever stop and read what you've been posting on these forums lately? If it isn't down-right vulgar or insulting, it's often been your very biased and distorted view on how gameplay in Planetside 2 will be.

Adjusting to potential change or being opposed to that change isn't bad but you've been hostile about little known gameplay mechanics in PS2. What I'm saying is your not being constructive or helpful in any way.

Being able to use cover in a meaningful way provides a great sense of real armed combat. Planetsides unique gunplay may be novel to some and I'm not knocking that, but more people appear to prefer more modern gunplay than that of games akin to PS1. Planetside 2 needs a healthy population, we've seen the effects of low pop in PS1 and the harm it causes.

Monkeys need to evolve at some point or they'll have a much harder time surviving when the enviorment around them changes.
Old 2011-07-14, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Punker View Post
/agreed

Planetside's TTK is fairly long, and you'll really only see ADAD spamming in 1 on 1 skrimishes. It's not like you're both going to sit still and see who can get the most shots off first.

Er, I ADADA spam in almost any indoor combat situation. You won't last long in a 20 vs 20 if you stand still.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Punker
Corporal

Yeah my point exactly, but in a 20 vs 20 situation you're more than likely going to find cover opposed to ADAD out in the open (i would hope at least).
Old 2011-07-14, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Bags
Lieutenant General

If everyone finds cover indoors then you'd never take a base.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Tool
Master Sergeant

How is that logical or even truthfull at all?
Old 2011-07-14, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
How is that logical or even truthfull at all?
Have you ever taken a red alert base? If no one pushed in you could never capture it.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Ravanos
Private

because no one ever thought they could move from one cover spot to another cover spot advancing their position and trying to outflank the enemy.

nope if we talk about getting cover the whole time we are just cowering behind boxes.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion