Planetside 2 Needs Prone - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now where did I put that Galaxy?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want Prone in PS2?
Yes 152 31.21%
No 312 64.07%
Other (Explain) 23 4.72%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Dreamcast
Major

Re: Planetside 2 Needs Prone

They wouldn't do it because it will change the whole way the game is played, maybe even some map lay outs in order to balance prone....Is too late to put prone, I think.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Prone is great ! I love it in RO2 along with the realistic one-shot-one-kill mechanics.

But please, leave it out from Planetside. It's not that kind of game.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
First person cover: Stand behind box, Crouch. You are now in cover. To leave cover, stand up.
Yeah, that's late 90s/early 2000s. Prone, cover, skipping over walls or ADS is what makes war sim FPS games today great.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-01, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

No, it doesn't need prone. Prone is terrible.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

I like prone, but im okay with it not being there. Though from what ive seen of the map design, youll pretty much always be standing then crouching for cover behind a low wall/baricade. So as long as there is some cover like that, im fine with it.

The problem does arise where say an infiltrator is doing some recon work on a ridge and the only way for her/him to see is to leave themselves exposed from the waist up. So as long as there are these areas of cover, hell even a rock will do, im content without having prone.

Though to argue it makes defense more campy, defense is always campy. The best defense is to trench in. People will just camp but be crouched. So i dont really see a sound argument in just stating "it promotes camping". The main focus in the game promotes camping, bases.

But to have people from popping in and out of prone fast there is a simple solution to that as well. Give prone an animation time. Soldier kneels, puts hand on ground, lays down, moves weapon into firing prone stance. Then just do the same but in reverse for getting up. Enemy lobs a grenade at you, you cant get up to move away in time. So you have a trade off there with mobility.

Last edited by SpcFarlen; 2012-06-01 at 03:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
Prone, cover, skipping over walls or ADS is what makes war sim FPS games today great.

Regardless of how debatable that is, this isn't a sim.
Old 2012-06-01, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
dachlatte
Master Sergeant

BF3 shows why prone is a bad thing to put in an FPS. 50% of your team will lie around in some corner scrubbing the floor. They just love the LMG with bipod and ext. mags. Ratatatatatata all day and 5% overall accuracy. Its a sad thing to see, really.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Old 2012-06-01, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MacXXcaM View Post
Yeah, that's late 90s/early 2000s. Prone, cover, skipping over walls or ADS is what makes war sim FPS games today great.
I'm not sure exactly what war sims you are referring to but if it's of the BF or COD kind, let them first take out the frag list. It confirms kills and eliminates a whole range of uncertainties and uncertainty (along with no respawns) is the true aspect of war.

Call them games.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-01, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The problem with prone is how it changes the gameplay style.

Compare BFBC2 to BF3.

BFBC2 had a lot more action, more attack, more movement. Since there was no prone in BFBC2 cover was higher and facilitated attack & move style gameplay. Hiding was harder and it encouraged more assault and thus more action. Camping in corners while making yourself small as possible wasn't an issue.

Gameplay with BFBC2 was quite awesome, fast paced, and fun.

BF3 had less cover (because of prone), more camping (because of prone), and less action (because prone rewards camping), and attack was discouraged due to prone putting attackers at more of a disadvantage. The targets shooting at them were smaller, harder to hit, and harder to spot.

Prone made the battlefield franchise worse. It isn't needed in PlanetSide 2, there's no reason to add it, and the game will be much better off without it.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-01 at 04:04 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by dachlatte View Post
BF3 shows why prone is a bad thing to put in an FPS. 50% of your team will lie around in some corner scrubbing the floor. They just love the LMG with bipod and ext. mags. Ratatatatatata all day and 5% overall accuracy. Its a sad thing to see, really.
With over 100 hours of play I have never been in one game of BF3 where anything close to that many people are prone at once, not even half that. The only place that applies is Metro killspam servers and even then prone is not that prevalent.

The only valid argument for prone IMO is running and diving. Otherwise It's just a nice tool for snipers and people defending locations with a perfectly reasonable trade-off that your a sitting duck. People will camp with or without prone it's not going to matter.

Last edited by Gonefshn; 2012-06-01 at 04:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Prone works in some games, but in Planetside it would be kinda silly. Prone is supposed to be for games with a much slower pace and a far quicker time to kill like Arma and the older Rainbow 6 games where moving slowly and cautiously is important. In Planetside we have seen that your character is durable enough to survive being shot so prone is mostly just a superfluous form of movement that gets you where you want to be slower.

Last edited by lolroflroflcake; 2012-06-01 at 04:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Stardouser
Colonel

BC2 is too fast paced. Prone is not a problem.

Camping isn't a concern for people who don't want to force others to run and gun.

Lack of prone doesn't encourage anything, it FORCES you to move, and that's always bad.

BF3 also encourages camping by having a low TTK and other problems. You can't pick out one thing and blame it for BF3's problems. Also, the KDR lifestyle of sniping and going for a high KDR instead of playing the objective is part of it.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-06-01 at 04:16 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Lack of prone doesn't encourage anything, it FORCES you to move, and that's always bad.
Explain to me how not being able to go prone means you have to always be moving.

Not that you're correct in saying forcing a player to do something is always bad. Making generalizations, that's always bad.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post

Regardless of how debatable that is, this isn't a sim.
It simulates a futuristic war.

sylphaen
I'm not sure exactly what war sims you are referring to but if it's of the BF or COD kind, let them first take out the frag list. It confirms kills and eliminates a whole range of uncertainties and uncertainty (along with no respawns) is the true aspect of war.

Call them games.
I would exclude CoD. But BF would count, as well as Red Orchestra, ArmA/OFP and some others.

Proning is quite realistic, you know? You would want to lay for being less of a target and aim better. Basic military behavior, and this is a military game.
Old 2012-06-01, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Rare Raisin
Private

I never needed prone to have fun, I wouldn't miss it very much if it wasn't in ps2. In a lot of games I never used it, I felt the only reason to really use it in most games was to hide briefly as something went past and get the jump on them or move onto a objective usually the latter. Examples would be avoiding a tank...or a huge amount of enemy soldiers. So it does have it's merit in that regard for me.

More often when someone decided to prone for long periods while defending they would eventually get a grenade throw at their face!

Last edited by Rare Raisin; 2012-06-01 at 04:19 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion