Higby where is LA love? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There is no off posistion on the genius switch.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-29, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Sunrock
Major

Re: Higby where is LA love?

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
oh really?

i never said that the engineer should have the exact capability it had before. but stripping all of them and rendering the rest useless like the turrets nobody else can use is crippling the class.

the old playstyle is totally impossible now, and i want this playstyles back. the real cloaker and the real engineer playstyles. and if you think the original loadout of abilities would be op in ps2, don´t post idiotic unconstructive sarcasm, but constructive ideas instead.

i was asked to explain why i consider engineer as crippled, so i compared the abilities.
but nobody asked you to poop all over the issue.
Go play Ps1 one then and STFU.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Go play Ps1 one then and STFU.
how constructive! your mom must be proud of you!
and yes, i´ll go and play ps1, but you are the one who should STFU!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-29, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

The Engie playstle of PS1 was more enjoyable. However, the balance was very different, so it would have to belanaced over into PS2. That's a given (IMO).

The ability to lay 25 mines in PS2 with the explosive power they currently have in PS2 would be OP beyond description. What 25 (weaker) mines did in PS1 was to effectively FORCE people to get out and STOP. You could use emp grenades, or shoot the mines one-at-a-time to destroy them. It was an effective "mine filed".

Mines, as currently spec'd in PS2, are a "booby trap", but absolutely NOTHING close to a mine field. Motion sensors, spitfires, ...... it was "funner" to be an Engie in PS1. PS2 needs MORE fun things to do for all the classes.

Put a Missle Bank (Effectively Mortars that fire as missles) on the Lightning. Require a Laze Pointer. Make LA as the only class with a default Laze pointer in their loadout - perhaps it auto spawns a Laze pointer on it's primary weapon if it's within 1000 meters of a friendly Lightning with a Missle-Mortar battery. If LA were the primary Laze Pointing Class - it's would be one more small, but fun & productive, thing to add to that class. LA could jet pack to the top of some nice little spires on the map - and use their commanding view to help "paint' targets for Lightnings in their vicinity....

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-05-29 at 10:49 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
The Engie playstleof PS1 was more enjoyable. However, the balance was very different, so it would have to belanaced over into PS2. That's a given (IMO).

The ability to lay 25 mines in PS2 with the explosive power they currently have in PS2 would be OP beyond description. What 25 (weaker) mines did in PS1 was to effectively FORCE people to get out and STOP. You could use emp grenades, or shoot the mines one-at-a-time to destroy them. It was an effective "mine filed".

Mines, as currently spec'd in PS2, are a "booby trap", but absolutely NOTHING close to a mine field. Motion sensors, spitfires, ...... it was "funner" to be an Engie in PS1. PS2 needs MORE fun things to do for all the classes.
that´s the point!
the engineer had much more valuable things to do. more than shooting other soldiers and repairing armor. and i hate that these things are all gone.
i never asked to be able to place 25 of the actual ps2 onehitkillermines.
i just want to be able to do tactical and valuable things, other than just shooting bullets or nanoglue.

the thing i would add to the LA would be the other types of jetpacks, higby mentioned earlier. he talked about different types of jets like one that can only hoover low altitude, but for a vary long time, compared to one, that doesn´t allow much horizontal movement, but rise very high.
the class really doesn´t need a straight buff, but could use some more different options. also if they get some new destructive ability of any kind, it should be an alternative to c4.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-29, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Shogun - I know you weren't looking to place 25 mines in PS2 with the current mine specs.

I don't know if Sunrock played PS1, so I was afraid he was comparing apples to oranges.

25 mines in PS1 = 5 mines in PS2. Generally speakling anyways. By watering mines down (yet having so many more to deploy), it created what I feel is better "mine play" for both sides. Good drivers could stop & repair when they hit mines in PS1. It was never insta death - except for an ATV .... the smaller & faster you were going .... the harder it was to stop before you hit enough mines to die.

...... if you had your own cloaked AMS in the woods nearby ..... the mine field was fine if all it did was force tanks (or whatever) to stop & repair - you could create you own little skirmishes, slow down supply lines, kill a few inexperienced drivers, contribute to the greater zerg/cause, and easily entertain yourself (even if you were SOLO) by constantly moving & setting up shop all over the map.

BTW - I think you and Sunrock are both very good posters, so stop with the chippyness.

INFIL; more special ops stuff needed. Perhaps perma-cloaking, but add Darklight implants into PS2.

LA; Allow them to "climb", and then make Jump Jets more Drifter oriented. More fuel. Default Laze Pointing.
..... perhaps even allow INFIL & LA to work together. Maybe allow INFIL to give certain deployables to LA, like radar/sensors, ....... then, you could enhance solo or semi-solo gameplay.

ENG; CE, Spitfires, motion detectors, allow Prox mines to stick to walls & ceilings, field dployables (cover, pillboxes/bunkers, 1-man turrets, build temporary tunnels ?, .....

MED; Attachable Med Kits (you can stick a Med Kit on a guys back (for ANY class) that slowly replenishes 20%-80% of that players Health for the next 20/30/45/60 seconds (steep Cert Tree), Health/Revive darts ...... you can choose this over Heal/Revive grenades ..... you can "shoot" a Health dart into a friendly from as far as 75 meters,.....

.... all of these ideas may suck, but I'm definitely for expanding class options while still trying to stay true to their primary roles.

Last edited by Chaff; 2013-05-29 at 11:07 AM.
Old 2013-05-29, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
MrMak
Sergeant Major

How about LA weapons designed specificaly to make use of height advantage. A light grenade launcher would be the first thing that comes to mind.

Dual wielding pistols could for example also have an effect on weight causing the jump packs to be more efficient.

For jump packs perhaps one that is less controlable but allows you to cover more distance. For instance one that gives you a lot of vertical speed but acts like a solid fuel rocket forcing you to burn all the fuel.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Sounds stupidly OP if the engineer in PS2 could do the same. Way not give him the ability to instant kill any enemy that are with in 200 meters when your at it?
Infiltrator in Planetside 1 was capable of alot more things then in its current form in Planetside 2. They could hack turrets terminals doors and enemy vehicles. They could shoot while cloaked (I know it sounds OP but because of the low TTK in the game it wasnt.) and they could inject viruses into enemy bases, causing all sorts of problems as well as remove them.

Personally Im hoping for the viruses to make a return but im not sure how the rest of the community feels about that.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
AThreatToYou
Major

low TTK
You mean, High. TTK stands for Time To Kill. PS2's time-to-kill is low compared to PS1's time-to-kill, which was "high" by FPS standards in a one-on-one scenario. High meaning, more often than not twice the current statistical TTK: 1.5 seconds compared to 0.55 second TTK. This would vary, in gameplay, by accuracy and weapon used, of course.

>lingo nazi?

Anyhoot, like I said, there are plenty of neat tools or killing weapons you can give to LA. Like proximity grenades, pushing grenades, flame thrower, et cetera.
Old 2013-05-29, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post

INFIL; more special ops stuff needed. Perhaps perma-cloaking, but add Darklight implants into PS2.
my only problem with darklight is it will be one of those implants that are required rather then having to choose...kinda like it was in the original game.
Old 2013-05-29, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
CToxin
Private

Changing subject back to LA ideas.

Why not give them a jetpack similar to the one that dark-troopers had in SWBF and SWBF2? A fast, burst jump jet. Not very controllable, but would get you somewhere quickly. Yes, one would have to worry about the landing, but that's where the skill/fun comes in.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

The problem with a lot of these ideas regarding new weapons and jetpacks and stuff is that they don't actually address the problem with LA, which is that the role they're designed to fulfill is... kind of ass. Ghost described it best. LA's basically exist to kill. That's it. They kill people. On average, you're looking at maybe 3-4 kills before you're stuck behind enemy lines with no more ammo, and that's it. In a game where there's on average a hundred people per side in every conflict, who more or less all respawn infinitely and within seconds, killing a few people just isn't all that important. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

So, giving LA more tools to kill people, while fun, isn't really helpful. The LA's role needs to be expanded, not made easier by giving them stronger weapons and new gimmicks for their jetpacks.

Last edited by BlaxicanX; 2013-05-29 at 09:33 PM.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sifer2
Major

Regarding the Engineer an minefields. Can't the PS2 engineer carry 5 or 7 mines once they upgrade their utility pouch armor? It's a lot of killing power actually. Aside from the fact they are very visible now. It's just not many do this because the cert investment is huge to be able to carry that many.

Anyway the best idea pitched so far for LA is probably that lazer tagging idea. Only the developers have said they are against adding any kind of artillery/mortars as they don't think it's fun.
Old 2013-05-29, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
camycamera
Major

i want to be able to pick up C4 if i accidently put it on the ground, because i cry as i have blow it up, with 100 resources down the drain.

there's your revamp.
Old 2013-05-30, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
play engineer or infiltrator in ps1 for a while and then ask again.

nothing an engineer or infiltrator could do in ps1 is possible in ps2. only rudimentary things.

comparison old/new engineer

old:
capable of placing 25 mines plus 15 autofire turrets(3 different types) plus lots of motion sensors and radar disruptors plus aegis shield with on the field ammo dispenser plus several tanktraps plus wallturret upgrades
ALL AT THE SAME TIME

new: can place a single turret he has to fire himself. not even manable by other soldiers plus can lay an ammo pack plus up to 3 mines.
that´s it.

same gos for the infiltrator who once was a real infiltrator and not just a sniper.
Infiltrator I'll give you, they really should have given it a better class name when they decided it wasn't going to be the same as PS1 & knocked the confusion & nostalgia over the class on the head but Engineers crippled, that makes me LOL big time

Engineers of PS2 aren't cripples, not even close. Even if they don't have their mountain of CE toys from PS1, these engineers are still the Swizz army knives of Auraxis in both support & destruction on the battlefields. Now I'm not saying they couldn't use some more items, heck every class could but even in PS1 the amount of shit a CE could haul around was ridiculous & they only were able to be 1 man armies due to the shrinking populations. A PS1 engineer in PS2 now that would be a fucking scary prospect given the TTK of this game. Striking a balance between what's fair for the engineer and his toy chest against that of all the other classes in PS2 is hard & would be so far out of whack if they could just drop robo sentinels of death every again. There has to be better choices out there than that.

but this thread isn't for that discussion this here is about the LA.

I know this is stepping into the Infiltrators world but what if LA also got the ability to hack out terminals & turrets?

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-30, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

That's kind of the overall problem.

From a macro perspective, both the Light Assault and the Infiltrator fulfill the same role, which is to get behind enemy lines and cause havoc and disruption. Because the only real difference between the two classes is how they go about accomplishing that (LA's fly in, using awkward angles to approach unnoticed, while Infiltrators sneak in with cloak), any abilities you give a LA will overlap with the infiltrator.

For example, an idea I had for expanding the Light Assault's role would be to give them some kind of spawn beacon similar to the leader beacon, and also an EMP/Jammer type device that disrupted the radar of everyone within its vicinity, ala the jammer in CoD, but also it could potentially prevent lock-on weaponry from locking on when in the jammer's radius. Assuming that the device works in a manner similar to the sunderer (in that it can't be deployed if its in the radius of another jammer), that would be a seriously badass way to disrupt the enemy and cause confusion.

But why put that on the Light Assault? Sneaky spy guy stuff generally belongs to the Infiltrator. Thus, the dilemma.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion