[Merged] Planetside 2 & TrackIR - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stop it! That tickles!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-25, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Marth Koopa
Banned

Re: Planetside 2 & TrackIR

Not to be a negative nancy, but that looks really stupid...

It doesn't make much sense to me. If I move my head, my monitor is still in the same spot, so now I'm going to have to turn my eyes.... the movement of your head and your eye orientation does not match the game view one bit.

Really stupid
Old 2011-11-25, 02:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Not to be a negative nancy, but that looks really stupid...

It doesn't make much sense to me. If I move my head, my monitor is still in the same spot, so now I'm going to have to turn my eyes.... the movement of your head and your eye orientation does not match the game view one bit.

Really stupid
You can use a headset like the new Sony HMZ-T1 with TrackIR to remove the disconnection.

Then again the human eye will automatically focus without you thinking. You can try this by just staring at the screen and moving your head. The brain realizes the view is moving but the screen isn't so the eye will stay tracked relative to the motion. That is the screen really doesn't need to move for the trick to work with humans.
Old 2011-11-25, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Coreldan
Colonel

Also, the sensitivity is very much configurable. Even a very small movement of the head can be configured to turn it. Given, high sensitivity can be prone for accidental "wooops I just looked 90 degrees to the left in the middle of a firefight"

Only ever really heard positive feedback with this thing, so that concern isn't really shared by everyone. A worthwhile concern, I guess, though.

Regardless. Want to get freelook, even BF3 has it (at least in aircrafts )

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2011-11-25, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
CutterJohn
Colonel

Yeah, I've used trackir. it takes a couple days of getting used to, but it quickly becomes second nature, and not much motion is needed at all.

Only really useful in a vehicle though. As a grunt its pointless since you can generally spin as fast as you want anyway.
Old 2011-11-25, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

If the game supported TrackIR, i would probably get it. However, I'm kind of in agreement that the VAST majority of players would not. So, since the team is working SUPER hard to make this game Golden I think that spending extra time tweaking and integrating TrackIR software would be a huge timesink that they're (understandably) not interested in adding to their already huge workload.

~Zachariah
Old 2011-11-25, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
If the game supported TrackIR, i would probably get it. However, I'm kind of in agreement that the VAST majority of players would not. So, since the team is working SUPER hard to make this game Golden I think that spending extra time tweaking and integrating TrackIR software would be a huge timesink that they're (understandably) not interested in adding to their already huge workload.

~Zachariah
Actually the wish here is not TrackIR support as such. It's to allow freelook.

If that's in TrackIR's software will handle the details of how to translate your head movements to commands the game can interpret. That's it's job, after all
Old 2011-11-25, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

This could all be done with 1 key. press the key and it dislodges your view from your gun, giving you 2 views. Now let go/press again, and it locks your view to your cross-hair again.

Much more simple and cheaper.

But I do like the idea of twin/split view FPS.

MMOTSVFPS.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Actually the wish here is not TrackIR support as such. It's to allow freelook.

If that's in TrackIR's software will handle the details of how to translate your head movements to commands the game can interpret. That's it's job, after all
Yep. Just needs inputs. Which ps1 had for many of the vehicles. The trackir software just converts that into a joystick/mouse/keyboard input. Absolutely zero additional work needed.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Man have we come a long way from the Power Glove.

I personally wouldn't drop any of my mad money on this, but to each there own. As was previously stated, I wouldn't want the finite amount of dev time used to support the implementation and support of this tracking system into PS2 pre-launch. Now after the game launches and is stable, this would be something that could be a great patch upgrade.

Depending on how the mapping works for my Logitech joystick in PS2, and if there even is look left, right, behind, up, and down, from the cockpit, I will probably just map it to the top hat and call it a day.

Great find though, and really neat hardware/software implementation from several military systems that have been using eye and head motion tracking for years.
Old 2011-11-25, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Aractain
Major

It would be cool, I have version 4 myself for Arma2. Its very imersive. But its just the pro way of doing a freelook button.

As someone mentioned, freelook is the core importance. Once thats in TrackIR can be supported (or CheapSkateIR the webcam version).
Old 2011-11-25, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post

Only really useful in a vehicle though. As a grunt its pointless since you can generally spin as fast as you want anyway.
For turning, yes, that is true, but it's quite useful for looking around while you are moving around and you don't want to have to stop to do so. I can see this being great for looking around for the sniper while dashing to cover.
Old 2011-11-25, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Coreldan
Colonel

A friend of mine who really likes ARMA2 (I like it too, but not the biggest fan) wouldnt even consider playing as a grunt without TrackIR. Given, the damage model is very much different, but he really really loves the situational awareness it gives him.

And yeah, biggest thing to implement is freelook and once that is in, everybody can benefit from it, people with TrackIR just more than others

Old 2011-11-25, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

As you see in games like Arma 2 (not my kind of game but Trackir works awesomly in it), its great in vehicles lettin you look around while not changing your movement direction. And its great while in cover on foot. Without it, while crouched you have to move your entire body and weapon, spinning an standing out like a sore thumb, esp if prone where you really stand out if you look around. With the trackir you can just move your head, eliminates the motion that is often the culprit of giving your location away. Its also much faster and accurate.

I've used it many times and its great, would love to see it in PS2. Although it was more wanted for the pilot in me but after seeing im pilot+gunner, i may not do much driving anymore.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2011-11-29, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Hm. I'm already upgrading my pc for this game. I think I would probably pick this up if they implemented it. Or if not the official one then one of the cheapo or do it yourself versions that seem to be floating around.
Old 2011-12-11, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Coreldan
Colonel

I need to waste more money on this game, so implement this!

SoE should get some of these TrackIRs, put on faction stickers on them and 20€ extra price and sell them as extra accessories

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion