Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Beware of the squirrels
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-04-04, 11:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Silverfish
Private

Re: Smed on PlanetSide Next Delay

I can't believe no one has asked what is obviously the most important question yet...Will there be a server called Konried??
Old 2011-04-04, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
TheBear
Private

Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
I can't believe no one has asked what is obviously the most important question yet...Will there be a server called Konried??
That's because Markov is all that matters.
Old 2011-04-04, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Senyu
First Lieutenant

As long as its worth the delay I dont care. If its true and cool stuff is being added to the game, keep on making. How long did we wait for SC2?
Old 2011-04-04, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
TheBear
Private

Originally Posted by Smed View Post
1 - PSN is a skill based game at it's core. Player skills ( as opposed to character skills) are always going to be the most important. That said we have some cool new things to offer in this department. Not ready to share just yet but we have some cool new things here.

2. Planetside IS a massively multiplayer game. That's what makes us different than Battlefield 3 ( which looks awesome btw). You wont see fighting on the scale we are going to offer anywhere else period. Not even close.

Glad to hear, I think the basic mechanics of PS are its strength, so I'd rather not see that messed with.
Question: which has been posed a number of times, in reaction to something you said.
No sanctuary? No staging zone?
I could see that going two ways, one which concerns me.
1. Backfield home continents will replace Sanc as a staging zone. Which basically means no HART and no free tech.
2. No sanc, select point to spawn in, like in Battlefield games. Which REALLY concerns me. While I understand you want to take away time to targets, and speed up the action, Planetside 1.0 was arguably better because with reduced mobility troops were forced to stick with targets instead of disperse.

So I guess, my basic question is...
If no Sanc, then will we have staging zones? a standardized "spawn in" point when we log in?
Old 2011-04-05, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Smed, can you give us any details on mechanics/changes on the game itself? It's hard to debate what should/how something should be changed when I'm only basing my opinions on the current planetside.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Silverfish View Post
Johari forever.

Lowest in ping = highest in love.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
tkoreaper
Private

I apologize for my previous comment about you Smed. I personally hold no grudge against you for any reason, I merely sought out to reflect what I thought many were thinking which ended up being an asshole move on my part. I say that because I've read a lot of negative comments in the past and assumed that the majority disliked you. I never really cared to delve into the reason why exactly because I never cared for much outside of Planetside itself.

Anyways, now that that's out of the way I'd just like to ask one simple question. 2 months ago after receiving several pictures of the vehicles in PS:N I had this theory:
You guys ever thought that maybe in PS:N vehicles won't be different by color alone?

For example, look at today's Prowler and Vanguard. The Prowler has a rounded model whereas the Vanguard is more blocky and square. Now take a look at the PS:N version of the NC's Reaver and the TR's Mosquito. The Reaver is much more blocky than the Mosquito and I think it has to do with it being a NC Reaver.

This could easily explain the huge difference in model design and why the color doesn't stick out much.
Could you tell me if my theory was correct? A simple yes or no will be good. No need releasing too much information.
Old 2011-04-05, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside was the last game that made me break the bank for a full computer upgrade. It was worth it.

All I ask is that I have enough advance notice to build a new hotness a couple of weeks before PS:N launches. That seems fair.

Also, you should take this chance to scoop up the dollars of people like me and partner with a hardware seller for PS:N package deals. If you could not make it a horribly overpriced Alienware, that'd be appreciated.
Old 2011-04-05, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
Grimster
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Spectre View Post

I also heard that the Sanctuaries were getting the axe. Is this true?

I believe that Smedley never said that Sanctuaries were getting the axe. I believe he just said that they wanted to get people back in action faster. That doesn't mean they will get rid of the Sanctuaries all together. So they might still be around when PS:N arrives just working in a more different way than before.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2011-04-05, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
wildcat140679
Sergeant

@Smed, I hope you’re able to answer.

Here and on forumside many idea are being posted on how players believe things should work in PS:N.
Does any of these ideas or bits and pieces of it and discussion that take place here, raising any design discussion among the development team to change or add something to the game?
Old 2011-04-05, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Ant001
Corporal

SMED - I pretty much know ill be playing PS:N when it goes beta. I have only 1 question that I can't believe noone has asked yet.

Question - How many servers will you have and will EU and ASIA get thier own??

I know we had werner before (in germany because UK server sucked at that time. But London now has the best data center in Europe.) So I'm interested to know if you have looked into server location yet or is that still to far ahead in development.
Old 2011-04-05, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
SKYeXile
Major General

Hey Smed, Planetside has a decent following worldwide and a decent following in Australia, while im not going to ask for the world and a PSN server down the road form me. but like the original Planetside will Planetside next coding allow players on high pings to still play competitively against Americans with say 180-300ping?
Old 2011-04-05, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
wormywyrm
Private

Dear Smed,

Thank you for PS:N.

And thank you for SWG's CU and NGE, without it I probably would have never gone out into the world and gotten a real life.
Old 2011-04-05, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
DarkStalker
Private

I only hope going to a 'new internally developed engine' there will still be resources around to tackle cheats that emerge.

At least when a 'common' engine is shared between games the burden of maintaining it and anti cheating measures can be shared to a degree
Old 2011-04-05, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
wormywyrm
Private

I don't think PS was any worse than any other games as far as cheating goes. It is an old game, and old games don't get anti-hack support. If hacking was as rampant when the game was released as it is now then they would have stopped it. They don't stop it now because they just don't have the developers to do it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion