The Phoenix Lotus - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Massive Fun......Massive Game......Planetside!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-11-22, 12:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The Phoenix Lotus

I've been noticing that the Phoenix is one of the best, easiest ways to gather battlefield info. I see NC firing Phoenix missiles over the base walls in all directions, skimming over the ground to find enemy AMS. Is this the Phoenix's true best use? With such detailed images of the battlefield, every NC AV trooper becomes a scout as well.

I'm not suggesting nerfing the Phoenix, just curious about it.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-11-22, 12:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
delta
First Sergeant

It's not all that good for recon.
It only shows you a small portion of the normal sized screen, it only has a 250 m range. Most of what you'd see is already shown to you without the use of the TOW. But in some cases it is useful.

Rawr! I'm a tiger! I'm also fluffy but I have big teeth!
Old 2003-11-22, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Isn't the range longer than 250m now?

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

Old 2003-11-22, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
NoSurrender
Contributor
Colonel

yea more like 300m but ud think itd be alot but it actually isnt when you use it.

Thanks to Eine for my awesome sig
Old 2003-11-22, 04:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Flammey
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, this kinda irks me. How come Vanu don't have anything that can lock on to ground vehicles and MAX's? Star fire don't count, because NC have the same lockon for their AA max. And TR have the striker. But the NC also has Pheonix, which might not be a lock on, but it's just as feking effective. Where's our Lockon weapon? I mean, we're Vanu, for christ sakes. I'm sure we can find the technology to allow our Comet to lock onto ground vehicles. feking Comet is useless unless your close.
Old 2003-11-22, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd rather have Phoenix than Striker any day of the week. No such luck though. I'm about to drop Striker again after trying it for the second time since the nerf. Maybe if the damage per missile was 140 or the ammo boxes were smaller. It's just not worth three certs as-is, and forget about using it in groups "like the devs intended", because you're not going to find many other TR AV users.

I'm not suggesting nerfing Phoenix. If anything, I'm suggesting buffing all AV by making their ammo boxes smaller, hold more, or some other buff that will make AV come at least close to the Decimator.

Old 2003-11-22, 05:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

I have been a phoenix junky for a while , I liked the damn thing a lot even before the boost it got, and it does have many uses besides just hittin maxes and tanks. It is really easy to just bank it over a base wall and look for the stream of people coming out from where an ams is.

It does have some major drawbacks that are fairly incurable, such as being forced to stand there for the duration of the missile flight. (Can you say sniperbait?)

Oh and flammey, how about a lock-on mode for the beamer?

::EDIT::

I'm not suggesting nerfing Phoenix. If anything, I'm suggesting buffing all AV by making their ammo boxes smaller, hold more, or some other buff that will make AV come at least close to the Decimator.
When I am carrying a dumbfire phoenix indoors, I have as much confidance in it as a deci. I know that it will take 3 shots to kill, but I also know that if I miss, I will have a chance to fire another while dodging and weaving. The good thing about AV is you get more firepower for your invo space, but its not all at once.
(buff t3h Styk3r? )

Last edited by Eldanesh; 2003-11-22 at 06:02 AM.
Old 2003-11-22, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Mr. Striker vs. Mr. Max Quasar is a joke. Mr. Decimator steps up, though, and it's not so funny any more.

I've actually died at full health and reinf armor before the Striker finished acquiring the MAX so I could pull the trigger. That's rather unusual I'll admit, but in the more often case against AI MAXs is that I have a second or two to live, and firing a Decimator is my only hope to win the fight. Basically: it's a matter of survival; I'm not going to carry a weapon that invites death by wielding it, like the Striker. You can't fire the Striker from behind cover 200 meters away. You can't snipe with the Striker. As far as I'm concerned, the single decent use it has is for Prowler crews to use two at a time to assure that aircraft don't become a lethal threat. That's a pretty limited use for a three cert skill.

Purely my opinion. I simply believe that there are few, if any, cool tricks to be done with the Striker, and I'm somewhat ashamed to have it as an empire AV weapon at this point. Other than that, and maybe Pounder, TR is just fine.

Old 2003-11-22, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
TeraHertz
Major

Originally Posted by Veteran
Purely my opinion. I simply believe that there are few, if any, cool tricks to be done with the Striker, and I'm somewhat ashamed to have it as an empire AV weapon at this point. Other than that, and maybe Pounder, TR is just fine.

Sorry? Cool tricks? And just how to you think the Vanu feel being stuck with the Lancer. Firing six shots while exposed = death. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I'll stick to my deci. Pop out behind a tree, fire, jump back. The tank is none the wiser as to where you are.
Old 2003-11-22, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

The only AV weapon worth a damn isn't even used mainly for AV work and Special Assault has the best weapon to use against vehicles. What an odd state of affairs.

Old 2003-11-22, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rayder
General

Misc Info

I see a lot of striker uses on Johari, can't go outside with my Van in a big fight with the TR without getting at least 3 locks. I usually run em over though, so....
Old 2003-11-22, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MuNsTeR
Sergeant Major

the phoenix is good but you can barely carry any ammo.. 3 per box
Old 2003-11-22, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BDMJ
First Sergeant

Official forums please?

I think all the AV are currently balanced. They are all steaming piles of dog shit now.
Old 2003-11-22, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Veteran
The only AV weapon worth a damn isn't even used mainly for AV work and Special Assault has the best weapon to use against vehicles. What an odd state of affairs.
Yeah, It's kind of funny. I think the AV weapons are a misnomer. And this is what is causing the confusion as people are trying to use them against vehicles. Here is how I feel the weapons should be renamed or considered to be:

Striker: AIR ANNOYANCE and please know this must be used in groups, using it singly will get you killed. It is also anti-MAX but ONLY when the max is in the wide open. The weapon has a nasty habit of refusing to lock onto its target if the target is close to or inside a building. Then you have to switch to dumb fire mode which has a ridiculous cone of fire so accuracy is not an option. You�d be better off switching to a pistol with AP rounds.

Phoenix: BASE ANNOYANCE and also know this is best used in groups. If you try this weapon against any vehicle you will be mowed (any ground vehicle) or machine gunned (any aircraft). As a base annoyer, it�s fairly effective; just make sure you have an ammo supply near by.

Lancer: UNKNOWN: I�ve never used this weapon and have not seen it used effectively ever�

So my suggestion is move these three weapons to the �Special Assault� certification and move the Decimator to �Anti-Vehicular�. This way at least with the current AV weapons your get the consolation prizes of a free Thumper and Rocket Rifle with the certification and all those Decimator users would not...

BadAsh
Old 2003-11-22, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Yea, pheonixes are great because you dont have to expose yourself, but their ammo boxes are huge. I can only really carry 6 missles at a time, which, with the exception of MAXes, dosent do much good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion