How will clips be handeled - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Look Ma, I got no pants on!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2002-12-13, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

How will clips be handeled

there are several ways clips can be handeled in a FPS. We havent been which way they will be handeled, even though we know there will be clips.

A)Half-Life/Counterstrike style: Your clip draws from a pool of bullets and you dont loose unused rounds from your clip.

B)BF1942/DoD style: You have a set # of clips, and when you reload you drop the clip that was priviousely in your gun, looseing any unused rounds in that clip. This is considered better from a stratagy standpoint.

C)Firearms style: A rare style of ammunition management, it lets you carry a set number to total clips at one time, but you keep clips that still have unused rounds in them. You are then allowed to merge these clips so that you don't have to compleatly expend the rounds in the clips before rearming.
Old 2002-12-13, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
�io
Lieutenant General

We dunno yet. I prefer clips myself, more realistic and makes the player use more strategy then just shoot, hide, reload even if you only shot 3 bullets, shoot again, repeat.
Old 2002-12-13, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Camping Carl
Major

I hope for style a. As realistic as styles b or c might be, I have always found they affect gameplay negatively. The Half-Life/CS method was always better in my opinion. Realism does not = fun.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-13, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
�io
Lieutenant General

Realism can = fun. Strategy = fun

Old 2002-12-13, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Hamma
PSU Admin

This was one of our dev questions.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-13, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Camping Carl
Major

It's just an idea, I just hate having to choose between firing my last few shots followed by a possibly fatal reload, or losing that ammo if I reload first. Ever play The Thing for ps2? Even if you had 49/50 bullets left, if you reloaded, you lost 49 bullets! But then again, in planetside, ammo is free.

Vanu still suck....
Old 2002-12-13, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Corbie
Private

i think type a is by far the best. I like to have a full clip if i know im gonna be in a big fight soon.. and considering how precious ammo is in PS..i wouldnt want to waste any.
Old 2002-12-14, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
afex
Contributor
Major

Originally posted by Hamma
This was one of our dev questions.
i know you at least shot a gun once while you were there

which is it?
Old 2002-12-14, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Commander Cain
Private

I was in the navy and I took advanced weapons training. We were told as follows:

1.) Never reload if you still have bullets in the magazine.
2.) If you feel you cannot kill the target with the bullets in the mag only then can you reload.
3.) Use up leftover bullets in mags the where originally in, unless you have time.

What the 3rd one means is that if you are in a heavy firefight you don�t have time to take 3 magazines and replace all the rounds into one. It much faster to just slam the magazine back in with the left over bullets. I can change clips in my 40. Berretta in a little over a second. But it takes a good 30 - 45 seconds to compile rounds into one clip.

So I would like clips to be saved if you have unspent rounds in them and used again. But also if you have taken cover and you have time, you can fill up a new clip with leftovers.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

A

Well, i just watched a few of the gamespot movies, and im 99% sure it's A. The resolution was very blurry where the bullet count was, and most times the player was changing ammunition types. But when on the same ammunition, it took from one pool of ammo that kept decreasing.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
m0rphiu5
NC Superior
Firepower

edit: i was concurring with Commander Cain, but got in to late

thats by far the best solution, but i have a fealing the devs will probably adopt system a) becaue of simplicty, not ever player will want that level of realism.... personally i would, make indoor combat much more tactful and reuire quick on-the-spot thinking.

Last edited by m0rphiu5; 2002-12-14 at 07:23 AM.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
afex
Contributor
Major

Re: A

Originally posted by FireFrenzy
Well, i just watched a few of the gamespot movies, and im 99% sure it's A. The resolution was very blurry where the bullet count was, and most times the player was changing ammunition types. But when on the same ammunition, it took from one pool of ammo that kept decreasing.
i watched all of the gs movies as well looking at ammo usage a few days ago.

results were inconclusive. he never reloaded in a fashion which obviously defined which way it was.

but if i had to guess, i would also say (and hope) that its the CS/sof2 style.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
FireFrenzy
Sergeant Major

Most conclusive to me is the reaver battle one, he has X amount of bullets in, and 4 in his pool, reloads, and fires 4 bullets. I highly doubt they'd have 4 bullet clips for the punisher.
Old 2002-12-14, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
afex
Contributor
Major

how do you know thats not another left over clip which he used all but 4 bullets of? that would point to C.

you can't tell either way from any of the movies.
Old 2002-12-14, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Jinxmasta
Second Lieutenant

I hope it's A or C just because many games like this take a lot of ammo to kill and so if you only have 5 out of 30 ammo left then the chances of a kill are quite slim so you pretty much have to reload. Then you lose 5 bullets but since PS is such a large scale game, we have to spend ammo wisely and system B would not help at all!

I Qanamil_Rafiki for this sig!
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion