"Catastrophic error" - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not just a Planetside fansite THE Planetside fansite
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-09-24, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
User58
Sergeant

"Catastrophic error"

That's the message I get when trying to reinstall PS.

After running un-install shield, the original SONY directory is still in Program Files. I tried deleting the entire directory manually and did a reinstall. Same story. "Catastrophic Error" scary..

I tried again without manually deleting the main directory. Same result, except it happened after the second install disk ran for a min or so.

Win XP Pro SP1 is what I'm running.

Any ideas?

Old 2003-09-24, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zodiac
Colonel

cause a "Catastrophic Error" in the foundation of SOEs headquarters. just an idea.
Old 2003-09-24, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kornflake�
Corporal

Why did you uninstall? Have you got system restore running (I beilieve it's on by default), if so try returning to before you uninstalled. Have you tried deleting the registry entries?(don't try this if you're unsure what you're doing).

-Kornflake�
Old 2003-09-24, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zodiac
Colonel

did you restart between un-install and install?
Old 2003-09-24, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Kornflake�
Why did you uninstall? Have you got system restore running (I beilieve it's on by default), if so try returning to before you uninstalled. Have you tried deleting the registry entries?(don't try this if you're unsure what you're doing).

-Kornflake�
I was uninstalling because Im getting these lockups in game. The sound stutters and then im fucked and have to do a warm reboot. Plus I upgraded CPU and RAM so perhaps the game didn't recognize the upgrades? I don't know anymore, this game is so fucked I can't believe it sometimes. You fix one thing and two more pop up.
Old 2003-09-24, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Zodiac
did you restart between un-install and install?

yep.
Old 2003-09-24, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kornflake�
Corporal

Any chance of you trying a system restoration then? I can't imagine your upgrades cuaing the problem, it's not down to the game to recognise your hardware, only utilise it.

I assume everything else installs and runs fine?

Click here for a list of registry cleaners, most of which can be downloaded for a free trial (but as with most things these days, require a product key be bought to unlock all the featured), try some and see if any of the free versions help any.

-Kornflake�
Old 2003-09-24, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

This is what I would do...

1) Format your hdd, make sure it's jumpered to MASTER.
2) Clock down your CPU in BIOS. Try clocking it down roughly 10%.
3) Make sure Plug and Play OS Installed is set to YES in BIOS.
4) Reinstall XP, go through Windows Update and update your device drivers and chipset drivers if necessary.
5) Reinstall PlanetSide

It's a giant pain, but stability is sweet.

Hope this helps. Clocking my system down a little pretty much fixed a TON of problems I had been having. Before I tried clocking it down, I reinstalled XP about 15 times. What a pain.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-09-24, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Kornflake�
Any chance of you trying a system restoration then? I can't imagine your upgrades cuaing the problem, it's not down to the game to recognise your hardware, only utilise it.

I assume everything else installs and runs fine?

Click here for a list of registry cleaners, most of which can be downloaded for a free trial (but as with most things these days, require a product key be bought to unlock all the featured), try some and see if any of the free versions help any.

-Kornflake�

thanks alot Korn. I have a sneaking suspicion that since the entire dir wasn't nuked, I got reg probs.
Old 2003-09-24, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Veteran
This is what I would do...

1) Format your hdd, make sure it's jumpered to MASTER.
2) Clock down your CPU in BIOS. Try clocking it down roughly 10%.
3) Make sure Plug and Play OS Installed is set to YES in BIOS.
4) Reinstall XP, go through Windows Update and update your device drivers and chipset drivers if necessary.
5) Reinstall PlanetSide

It's a giant pain, but stability is sweet.

Hope this helps. Clocking my system down a little pretty much fixed a TON of problems I had been having. Before I tried clocking it down, I reinstalled XP about 15 times. What a pain.

How can you say all that "stuff" without knowing whats the dealio? jeez, I'd hate to hire you for a tune-up on my car.

#1 Since my HD is the only one in my machine, It would have to be jumpered to Master. (I don't do the other way where it does it automatically according to how you have the jumpers set on the HD)
#2 I don't overclock. MOBO's and CPU's are so cheap it's a fool that does it unless they just want the challenge.
#3 That's a gimme. I been installing components forever on this machine with no problems related to Plug and Play issues.
#4 Ain't happenin' Not while I got one good arm. LOL

#5 yep

:O:
Old 2003-09-25, 05:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Hey no offense man, I just said "this is what I would do" since it's what I did when similar things happened to me.

As for tuning up your car, the people already in that business woulda added about six more steps.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2003-09-25, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
User58
Sergeant

Originally posted by Veteran
Hey no offense man, I just said "this is what I would do" since it's what I did when similar things happened to me.

As for tuning up your car, the people already in that business woulda added about six more steps.
Your probably right. This game has allready hijacked my machine enough as far as having to upgrade just to make it semi-playable. I figgered it out. Thanks for the help. No offense taken.
Old 2003-09-25, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kornflake�
Corporal

So what was the problem in the end then?

-Kornflake�
Old 2003-09-25, 09:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
User58
Sergeant

I really don't know. I haven't really played much since reinstalling to know if the problem is gone. Instead of a full install, I just chose the "repair" option and the error message didn't reappear and the game is running ok now. Time will tell.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion