No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Parachute Pants are always in style
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-07-13, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Heaven
Master Sergeant

No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem?

I have been reading up info on ps2 and see that their not going to have sanctuary's in the game, so what happens when a faction has no where to spawn? They have no territory or base's in their possession... And like they have said there will be 1000s of players online at once but cant play as they have no territory.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Re: No sanctuary's. Could it cause a problem?

Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I have been reading up info on ps2 and see that their not going to have sanctuary's in the game, so what happens when a faction has no where to spawn? They have no territory or base's in their possession... And like they have said there will be 1000s of players online at once but cant play as they have no territory.
I'm sure they have thought of all of this.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Every empire will have an unconquerable base on each continent, so you're never really locked out of anywhere.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

The entire taking bases and stuff mechanic will be rather different. It is impossible to predict how the lack of sancuarys and addition of footholds (batstes infamous beachheads ^^) will play out. Beta will show, and i Trust T-Ray saying that if something isnt fun, they change it.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Every empire will have an unconquerable base on each continent, so you're never really locked out of anywhere.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Wakken
Sergeant

Am I the only one who actually kinda liked the sanctuarys? Waiting for the shuttle and having toilet break while waiting for it xD

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.
Old 2011-07-13, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

There will still be unconqurable areas or "footholds" on each continent in PS2, just like PS1. In PS1 we call them warpgates. In Ps2, I imagine those footholds will be more like the Sanc in that you can pull vehicles there, warp to different continents, rally for attacks, etc.

Except now, instead of having 1 Sanc, we will have a Sanc on each continent so you don't have to zone out, rally, get in the queue to get back in the continent, then actually attack. Now it's just rally and attack. Sounds MUCH more streamlined to me while still providing what the old Sanc did.

Lets not let nostalgia ruin a good improvement.
Old 2011-07-13, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
razor851
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
That sounds awful in theory.

Join the PlanetSide Steam Group!
Old 2011-07-13, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warruz
Sergeant

Here is the deal and why i think no sanctuaries is a bad thing and it breaks down into two things.

1) Is moslty a gameplay issue, in that there is no main center for gatherings. There is no "Main" area to gather for your faction. Rather your faction is now split between all these different contents, making it harder to put together mass attacks and cordinate.

2) Is without a central location or rather a stronghold or HQ for your faction you loose a sense of immersion. In a Game like Planetside it doesnt much stripping away and you get a glorified battlefield. Sanctuaries may not add much to the gameplay but it does add to the immersion giving you a sense of connection. With The current idea in place with no sanctuaries i feel you would loose this sense of connection that your in a mmo world as there would be no connection rather more of a fractured setup strung together.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

I honestly believe that it was more the HART that slowed down combat rather than the sanctuary itself.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-13, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Marsman
Major

Even with the existing Sanctuary in PS1, you could spawn at Hart A, B, or C. In PS2, Think of each continent having a sanctuary area - thus perhaps you will have 9 choices instead of 3. In the same way you would say "Form up at Hart B", you will say "Form up at Searhaus" for example. Seems like this could work fine.
Old 2011-07-13, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Warruz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsman View Post
Even with the existing Sanctuary in PS1, you could spawn at Hart A, B, or C. In PS2, Think of each continent having a sanctuary area - thus perhaps you will have 9 choices instead of 3. In the same way you would say "Form up at Hart B", you will say "Form up at Searhaus" for example. Seems like this could work fine.
i dont doubt it working, i just feel you loose immersion as there is no longer one single get together. It gives less of a feeling of a MMO and more of a instance feeling.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
i dont doubt it working, i just feel you loose immersion as there is no longer one single get together. It gives less of a feeling of a MMO and more of a instance feeling.
Yeah i got that too. But we are losin alot of the immersion stuff. They seem to want more of the much more superficial cod/bf stuff just with more players. But there is a long time between now and beta and then release, ya never know. I hope somethin of the old PS comes back besides empires and fight size. Its the little things that really add to immersion, sadly im seeing most of them not comin back.

I never did get how sancs slowed down gameplay. They have said it several times, but never once said why. The fact is, sancs dont slow down gameplay at all. Now, the hart could, by makin you wait a whoppin 3-5 mins the very first time you log in, 3-5 mins is horrible for the ritalin addicts apparently and could cause them to explode despite the fact they only would do it once during the whole night, or not at all if they know to how take 5 seconds and hit instant action, but 5 secs is prob too long for them too.

Honestly i just dont get what the downside is to a sanc. I see quite a few tho to not having them. A sanc on every cont will function much like a single sanc, just more instancy feeling and harder to coordinate or keep raid form ups secret and just....well...bleh feeling. I dont have a home for my empire? I feel no connection to this world. Feels like several instances instead of a planet.

And yeah they dont want sancs so they put sancs in on every cont? /boggle.
Old 2011-07-13, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

My main concern is what happens when you log on. Are you just spawned at some random foothold on some random continent? It would make organizing a whole lot more difficult when people are randomly spawning everywhere.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-13, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
MgFalcon
Captain

It's a hugely new concept, I think not having a Sanctuary can be a good idea but right now this really only makes me feel homeless...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion