What SOE should do to keep the community involved - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Markov? Isn't that the name of my Russian mail-order bride?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-23, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Re: What SOE should do to keep the community involved

Monthly contests for fan art, fan stories.
Old 2011-07-23, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
CutterJohn
Colonel

Nah.. designing something in game would be more fun. I'd like, just once, a mesh of mine to be used in a game. Sadly all I'm good at is spaceships.

Hell, I'd settle for a UVmap i made.

"You see how distortion free that texture is? I did that. *puffs chest* "
Old 2011-07-23, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
"I'm yo pusha"
I need a fix man! I'm starting to get the shakes! I'm starting to feel things again!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

More stuff is coming, stay tuned my little junky friend.
Old 2011-07-23, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Yea, my dealer told me that one as well. Took him 3 weeks to get me another supply run. We are dying here man, DYING! WE NEED OUR FIX!
Old 2011-07-23, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Timey
Staff Sergeant

1) There will always be unsatisfied people, bitchers even, because things don't work out just for them.

2) Not all will use the forums (wild guess of about 40~~%?, might be way too high).

3) DON'T USE THE FORUM POLLS / BITCHING AS "This we must do, they say it at dem forums." (This you knew already, though).

Dunno, added nothing to the topic (once again). Just make it 'balanced' and it'll be awesome.

ps. I wouldn't even mind if some race was a bit overpowered (which will happen anyway because impossible to balance & stuff) so I'd have an excuse of being fragged if the fragger would be of x empire

edit: lol race (haven't played a rpg since '05)

Last edited by Timey; 2011-07-23 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

The CSM is pretty unique. Other companies have things like class leads and MVP forumgoers as the closest analogue. Without the rich player community present in EVE, I don't think this would be possible. There may be place for this in PS2 but it will be years down the road. I don't really think PS1/2 caters to the kind of people that would want or need this kind of service. On top of that, the PS1 forum community got far too much attention and catering so I would hardly be surprised if SOE took more of a "We hear you but this is still our baby." stance this time around.

I'm cool with that.

@Soothsayer: The one thing to remember about Goons. They don't play games together to help themselves win. They play games together to help everyone else lose.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Vancha
Colonel

Didn't DAoC have class leads? I can't remember if they were from the community or the staff...They basically did the same thing as CSMs except purely for class concerns.

To be honest I'm just happy with the level of communication that's already going on. It's when that falls off and the wall gets built between the players and the devs that things tend to go downhill.
Old 2011-07-24, 07:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

We will always be here for the players. No doubt about that. We listen and learn thats the only way we'll get better at what we do.
I wasn't implying that SOE was not there for the players, yes in the past and especially with PS1 SOE received a bad reputation but that was then and this is now. PS2 compared to PS1 already looks incredibly better and the fact there will be a three year plan for it shows an interest toward making a top notch game. I just felt that the CSM really assists CCP in not only making a quality game that the players want but also makes the players feel more involved in the direction of the game, almost like every EVE player is a developer.

On a side note the game looks awesome from an art stand point, looks amazing. Yes there is some brown on my nose.
Old 2011-07-24, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

I guess the counterpoint to CSM in PS2 would be how necessary would it be? Now that I think about it some more, EVE is a much bigger, much more complex game with lots of numbers and data to crunch and balance. So a CSM is more necessary to help make those numbers actually fit the game play.

In PS at any given moment their were only usually a few things that needed to be really addressed. It was usually "ZOMG LASHER IS UNDERPOWERED COMPARED TO MCG BAWWWWWWW" or "OMGWTF TR AA MAX'S ARE SOOO GIMP NEXT TO DA VS ONES LOLOLOLOL" or other such screamings.

In EVE though it's more like "The top speed of all Destroyer's should be slightly increased by .05% and the rate of fire on the Cormerant should be slightly increased to give it more survivability versus Frigates. Also these mining lasers should be given a 1% greater yield per cycle." Planetside 2 shouldn't need that level of tweaking I hope.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
cashfoyogash
Sergeant

True EVE is a very complex world but its mainly spreadsheets. I just figure with their three year plan and with all the new editions to the game something similar may be useful. There are still alot of numbers to crunch in PS. Everything is algorithms and formulas even in a fps game.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Oh I know when you break it down most games are, but EVE like you said is spreadsheets of data and the actual skill level of the player is minimized by how good they are processing those numbers mentally and making decisions off of it.

I'm still for a CSM in some fashion, but it's not going to be as critical as it seems to be in EVE. Player skill will IMO skew the data more than it will in a game like EVE where pretty much anybody who is willing to crunch the numbers will do just fine. Look at a weapon like the Scorpion. I knew people who couldn't get a kill with that thing if they spent a week using nothing but it, then I knew guys who could just absolutely rape face with it and would rack up the kills. Was it over powered or under powered? Depended on how good you were with it.

So while I can definitely see the use of a CSM, Planetside has more of a "Individual results may vary" feel than EVE where the numbers are the numbers and getting those numbers balanced is so key. But I feel like SOE is looking a lot at EVE in terms of development because of the longevity of it, and the CSM is probably a good reason for their continued success.
Old 2011-07-25, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Don't make me go all Amy Winehouse on your ass!

>Thud<

What? Too soon?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion