News: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Captain Morgan was here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-06-08, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Post The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

We have had lots of different threads popping up on this topic.. Use this thread to talk Playstation 4 - pros, cons and anything in between! List out your thoughts on the game coming to Console.

Edit:

PlayStation 4 FAQ:
http://wiki.planetside-universe.com/ps/PlayStation_4

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2013-06-17 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: The PlanetSide 2 on Playstation 4 MEGA THREAD

I was about to post "Enough of these threads already".

But now we have one just to talk about it. Whoo.

So... Anyone think the PS4 version will be able to handle the same number of people on a single server as the PC version? I'm somehow doubting it myself.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
I was about to post "Enough of these threads already".

But now we have one just to talk about it. Whoo.

So... Anyone think the PS4 version will be able to handle the same number of people on a single server as the PC version? I'm somehow doubting it myself.
I really like playing on console platforms. I have all the Nintendo except the cube, PS1-2-3, Xbox 360 and love to collect classic games to them.

But one thing I hate to play on console platforms are FPS games and RTS. I mean these game styles are developed to be played with a mouse and keyboard and using a controller to play them just feels wrong. So I do not think it will be one of big hits to the new PS4... but I really don't care really.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-06-08 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside 2 so far has been a defacto beta for PS2 on PS4.

Because of all the improvements that have been made PS2 on PS4 is going to be a bigger success than PC with a higher rate of new player retention.

The devs realized this ealry on. PS2 on PS4 is the real product.
Old 2013-06-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post

Because of all the improvements that have been made PS2 on PS4 is going to be a bigger success than PC with a higher rate of new player retention.

My god... this explains EVERYTHING!
Old 2013-06-09, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Root Hade
Corporal

Originally Posted by MrKwatz View Post
They're going to have to redesign most of if not all of the UI to get this to work with the console. The HUD will also need to be addressed for making it readable at the DPI and distances of TV viewing. This is going to be the biggest possible front facing change for PC players.

It could lead to a few things. Having two wholly separate branches of the game is going to have to happen, but it would be good to have absolute feature parody between them. The controller UI should be toggleable in both environments if it proves to decrease efficiency of kb/m, perhaps defaulting to it on the initial install based on whether you have a kb/m or controller plugged in on the consoles or PC. With the HUD being redesigned hopefully it leads to them completely rebuilding it with modularity and user customizability in mind, perhaps allowing different preset configurations for TV/Monitors(/Vita remote play?) and a Custom setting that allows users to drag around, resize, recolor, hide, and otherwise adjust elements.
Vita remote play o.o That would crazy but I can't imagine it'll be perfect for multiplayer stuff.

As for the UI, would be interesting if they had a 'streamlined' HUD/UI for the consoles thats also an option for PC (there is that UI pass coming up). Would be interesting to give consoles the option of the PC UI. Remember the PS4 console has a touchpad that could work for cursor input for that.

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post

So PS2 on PC isn't a 'real' product because of a lower population? Right.

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
My god... this explains EVERYTHING!
Or you know the fact that Smed said ages ago that they're changing their business design for MMOs, to release them earlier and open up their game designs to changes. The huge player count of MMOs literally breaks the traditional prototype stage of game design. Plus with the nature of MMOs being updated so often, the stage of something being finished, or rather polished, becomes blurred. I think console people still won't find PS2 welcoming unless theres some newb server where people can actually learn the game with people at similar skill/knowledge level instead of being thrown into the boiling pot with everyone else. Would be perfect for outfit recruiting too.

Hopefully at E3 we can get some answers from devs whether they're afraid of differences growing between the two versions of the game or if they want to keep things consistent. Just afraid of potential features being held back for PC because it'd be a struggle for the PS4.

Last edited by Root Hade; 2013-06-09 at 12:44 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
I mean these game styles are developed to be played with a mouse and keyboard and using a controller to play them just feels wrong. So I do not think it will be one of big hits to the new PS4... but I really don't care really.
Who says the PS4 won't support mouse/keyboard?
Old 2013-06-09, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Who says the PS4 won't support mouse/keyboard?
It's not a matter of weather or not the PS4 suppots KB&M as it is developers don't design console games for them.
Old 2013-06-09, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by KesTro View Post
It's not a matter of weather or not the PS4 suppots KB&M as it is developers don't design console games for them.
Ok, but it's still speculation as to whether or not Sony will support keyboard/mouse for PS2 on PS4. No one knows these things yet.

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Just because PS4 supports mouse and keyboards doesnt has to mean it is usable for PS2.

Plenty of PS3 FPS games were just crap with Mouse and Keyboard, as they lacked proper support for this kind of input.

On top of that, the vast vast vast vast vast majority of future PS4 gamers wont use a Mouse and Keyboard for gaming, simply because it doesnt play well on a couch table.
Alright, I guess the PS2 PC version is doomed then. Oh well....

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
AThreatToYou
Major

I'm going to wait for E3.
Then we'll have news, and we will also be able to judge the inferior console race's reaction to PlanetSide 2. Consumer response is important and thus far, from console-goers, we have very little response from very little exposure. E3 will change that.
Old 2013-06-08, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Even though I expect PS2 on PS4 to be not as good as the PC version, I do expect it to be successful on the PS4. If nothing else, it's going to be the first really good multiplayer game on the console (At least, first wide world FPS one with no MMORPG stuff). Console gamers ate up COD and Battlefield. They'll eat this up like horses on hay.

Still, I'd much rather stick to what is most likely going to be the superior PS2 on the PC. Even if the PS4 version matches the content, you just can't beat the aim with the mouse. And none of that "Oh, they can add that to PS4" crap. because, let's face it, console gamers are used to gamepads and aren't going to make an effort to get good with a mouse (Not most of them anyway).

As proven below.

PotbelliedLizard: Not for me
I hate pc aiming
taramafor: That's because you move the mouse wrong. You need to move it slow.
PotbelliedLizard: No I dont
taramafor: Then why does your aim suck?
Is moving mouse slow. *Has better aim*
PotbelliedLizard: Mouse doesn't feel right
taramafor: That's because you're not used to it.
If you don't TRY to get used to it, you never will.
got to put in effort to get results.
Just make sure you're not hunched down when using it. That sucks. >_>
PotbelliedLizard: Console sticks feel better
Mouse aiming is just a lot harder, pc ain't the best in everything
taramafor: Then why is a mouse easy for me and why do gamepads give me thumb cramp?
They really need to fix that on gamepads. My poor thimbs.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I want cross-platform compatibility so we can all play on the same servers. I don't want a bifurcate dev team and a bifurcate community on bifurcate servers operating off two incompatible platforms. (We already know the PS4 supports mouse and keyboard; it's a non-issue.)

It would be the best thing in the world to get a big huge shot of fresh reinforcements and see some of those older servers coming back on line. That's what I'm hoping for.

Come on, devs... prove Smed wrong again...
Old 2013-06-09, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I hope they won't segregate populations.

Old 2013-06-12, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Regpuppy
Private

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I want cross-platform compatibility
The problem with this, in shooters at least, is that console based shooters both need and use aim assist, even if you don't notice it. This makes controllers more usable for them than they would be otherwise.

When the aim assist is fairly strong, it can end up annoying lower to mid skilled PC gamers. If it's not present, the PC gamers will absolutely and hopelessly destroy console gamers because precise aim with the mouse, barring extreme aim assist, is far superior. Even with aim assist, I'd expect PC gamers to absolutely make life hell for console gamers.

Not to mention the fact that after a year passes. Having them both connected to each other would -greatly- hinder it's development from the standpoint of a PC gamer.

They're far better off splitting the two up because any of these issues can cause players from both mediums to be upset with the game. It's better to have separation of servers with people being on more or less equal footing with each other.

Last edited by Regpuppy; 2013-06-12 at 10:32 AM.
Old 2013-06-08, 10:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
camycamera
Major

PS2 on PS4 in a nutshell:

moar opimisation.

so good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion