The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation) - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free? Sweet Deal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-25, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: The Origin of Forge Light (Speculation)

Originally Posted by Saieno View Post
That is very true. I'm not saying SOE hasn't developed an engine, I'm saying they've made an engine that is thoroughly impressive and similar to what we saw with Project Offset.
Your original implication was that Forgelight is derived from Offset. And it's a pretty absurd and baseless claim. Nothing but conjecture.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-04-25, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Your original implication was that Forgelight is derived from Offset. And it's a pretty absurd and baseless claim. Nothing but conjecture.
Yes this entire post is about the sudden public knowledge of Forge Light which is an unbelievably advanced engine, and happens to share similarities with Project Offset. I don't see how its absurd or baseless as my original post describes all of my evidence and the chain of events that lead to the suggestion. Obviously its conjecture, which is why I specifically state its nothing more than a theory and titled the post as speculation.
Old 2012-04-25, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
PredatorFour
Major

Calm down, no reason to get angry. So what if it is the same engine ? i dont understand what the fuss is about. Obviously its taken years to make this amazing engine and it all had to start somewhere.
Old 2012-04-25, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by PredatorFour View Post
Calm down, no reason to get angry. So what if it is the same engine ? i dont understand what the fuss is about. Obviously its taken years to make this amazing engine and it all had to start somewhere.
Is this directed to anyone in particular? Usually helps to quote whoever you're responding to.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Elude
First Sergeant

^I honestly don't see anyone getting rattled, who needs calming?
Old 2012-04-25, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
TeaReks
Private

If forgelight turns out to be half as good as it seems I feel that a lot of the other mmo development studios may be caught out.

If you go back to most MMO releases it wasn't terrible game play that sunk them, its the inability to play at all. Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, EQ2 vs Wow and even Planetside 1 all suffered because people couldn't play.
Old 2012-04-26, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by TeaReks View Post
If forgelight turns out to be half as good as it seems I feel that a lot of the other mmo development studios may be caught out.

If you go back to most MMO releases it wasn't terrible game play that sunk them, its the inability to play at all. Anarchy Online, Age of Conan, EQ2 vs Wow and even Planetside 1 all suffered because people couldn't play.
This is a pretty fair statement. Many of SOEs great titles were unplayable at their launch and throughout their early lives. I remember Planetside being unplayable the first time I tried beta, EverQuest 2 brought my system to its knees in beta, Star Wars Galaxies shadows turned the experience into a slideshow, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes chunk lines gave me enough time to make a sandwich, and The Matrix Online was like the Windows 98 version of the actual Matrix.

Of course SOE isn't to blame for all of those examples. They created Planetside, EverQuest 2, and Star Wars Galaxies, but in the cases of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and The Matrix Online they merely adopted the games once the original developers were done failing. Vanguard was ruined by Microsoft long before SOE had their hands in the mix, still don't know why they thought creating an MMO that required an operating system, that wasn't even out yet, was a good idea. The Matrix Online was made by Monolith who brought us F.E.A.R, which you would assume would lead us to some amazing MMO experiences. Alas we had a janky gameplay experience, with the only saving grace being the continuation of the Matrix trilogy (which was flippin epic I might add).
Old 2012-04-27, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Omg thats the video i've been looking for again forever. I was so excited for that game to come out when I first heard of it.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

I read that firefall uses a modified Offset engine
Old 2012-05-02, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Saieno
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
I read that firefall uses a modified Offset engine
That's correct. From the BigDownload.com article we can see some really interesting connections going on.

Last week Big Download exclusively revealed that Intel had shut down development of the Offset Software project it had bought two years ago along with the Project Offset game. However the Offset Engine is still being used by a third party game developer, Red 5 Studios, for its long-in-development MMO game.

Red 5 Studios, formed in 2005, announced it had licensed the Offset Engine from Offset Software in 2006, two years before Offset Software was acquired by Intel. Gamasutra reports that a rep for Red 5 Studios confirmed today that it is still using a "highly-modified version of the Project Offset engine" for its unnamed game. The rep added, " . . . the closing of the Intel team does not impact our ability to complete our own project.." Red 5 Studios was at one point close to being shut down earlier this year before being acquired by China-based game publisher The9 for $20 million

As we reported last week the founders of Offset Software have regrouped following Intel's decision to shut down the project and have formed a new game development studio, Fractiv. The company has not yet commented on whether or not the team has the rights to the Offset Engine technology or the Project Offset game IP.
Do you see the bold there? "Red 5 Studios was at one point close to being shut down earlier this year before being acquired by China-based game publisher The9 for $20 million". The9, the same China-based game publisher that has partnered with SOE to help develop Planetside 2. This just seems to support the theory more and more. Lots of connections going on now!

Last edited by Saieno; 2012-05-02 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added link to article
Old 2012-05-02, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
I believe all the engineers here who have devoted many, MANY hours and months and years to the development would not agree that it "just appeared"
by engineers you mean lvl 60 warlocks locked in the basement performing magic rituals right?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-02, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
by engineers you mean lvl 60 warlocks locked in the basement performing magic rituals right?
We are not allowed to discuss the specifics of any rituals that may take place.
Old 2012-05-02, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
We are not allowed to discuss the specifics of any rituals that may take place.
So you're saying there are rituals?
Old 2012-05-02, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Xyntech
Brigadier General

There are always rituals.

Some just involve more TaB and Doritos than others.
Old 2012-05-02, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Rabb
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
There are always rituals.

Some just involve more TaB and Doritos than others.
And by Doritos you mean a bucket of soapy frogs right?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion