The Benchmarking Thread (Heaven & 3DMark11) - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I know you didn't just refresh to see this quote....
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-08-06, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: The Benchmarking Thread (Heaven & 3DMark11)

Goku deadeye and I almost have identical heaven scores (1757 vs 1790), but he destroys my 3dmark 11 score

Score
P7822 3DMarks vs 8941
Graphics Score
8437 vs 9071
Physics Score
6453 vs 9506
Combined Score
6368 vs 7477

any idea?
Old 2012-08-06, 09:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

His processor has hyper threading. GPU may have a higher boost too.
Old 2012-08-06, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Deadeye
Sergeant

yeah the Galaxy's core clock is factory overclocked to 1006MHz and the default boost is 1080MHz but according to benchmark reviews, the boost clock on the galaxy, thanks to the custom cooling has been seen as high as 1280MHz.

So yeah, the graphics score is the "Galaxy Clock" model for you and the Processor is because of the I7's hyperthreading and mine's got a boost clock up to 4.4GHz.

Here's the link to the Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162109

Last edited by Deadeye; 2012-08-06 at 09:22 PM.
Old 2012-08-06, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
yeah the Galaxy's core clock is factory overclocked to 1006MHz and the default boost is 1080MHz but according to benchmark reviews, the boost clock on the galaxy, thanks to the custom cooling has been seen as high as 1280MHz.

So yeah, the graphics score is the "Galaxy Clock" model for you and the Processor is because of the I7's hyperthreading and mine's got a boost clock up to 4.4GHz.

Here's the link to the Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162109
Yeah mine goes up to ~1200mhz until it hits 70C, then throttles down to 1156mhz which isn't bad as it was advertised as like 1045 and it's a reference cooler. I have the slightly OC'd reference msi one.

But it's odd because heaven is almost identical and then 3dmark is waaay off. Wouldn't a higher GPU boost result in a MUCH higher heaven benchmark too if that was why?

Note: never buying reference GPU again oh god the fan why why why.

Last edited by Bags; 2012-08-06 at 11:37 PM.
Old 2012-08-07, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

3DMark and Heaven respond differently to hardware is why really. Not all aftermarket designs are better then reference either. I have seen plenty of awful designs from both Nvidia and AMD AIBs just trying to cheap out on components to save a couple bucks.
Old 2012-08-07, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Isn't it possible to replace it with a custom cooler? I heard there are some pretty good custom coolers out there.
Old 2012-08-07, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

You can, but thats anywhere from $50 to $100. Likely isn't worth the price unless you are into that.
Old 2012-08-07, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
IAMDANIEL
Private

Cool stuff Goku.. really cool stuff. excited to get my new computer to try it out. thank you
Old 2012-08-07, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
3DMark and Heaven respond differently to hardware is why really. Not all aftermarket designs are better then reference either. I have seen plenty of awful designs from both Nvidia and AMD AIBs just trying to cheap out on components to save a couple bucks.
idk ASUS and Gigabyte's coolers are really good and really quiet according to tomshardware, and they are only $20 and $0 more expensive than the reference.

It's what I get for not doing my research. I assumed people complaining about sound were just mad at any noise.

Sounds like a leafblower lol.
Old 2012-08-07, 02:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

idk ASUS and Gigabyte's coolers are really good and really quiet according to tomshardware, and they are only $20 and $0 more expensive than the reference.

It's what I get for not doing my research. I assumed people complaining about sound were just mad at any noise.

Sounds like a leafblower lol.
Sometimes you can buy the non-reference coolers on ebay because people who upgrade to watercooling will often sell them.

You would just need to make sure they will work with your reference PCB.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Deadeye
Sergeant

Yeah mine goes up to ~1200mhz until it hits 70C, then throttles down to 1156mhz which isn't bad as it was advertised as like 1045 and it's a reference cooler. I have the slightly OC'd reference msi one.

But it's odd because heaven is almost identical and then 3dmark is waaay off. Wouldn't a higher GPU boost result in a MUCH higher heaven benchmark too if that was why?

Been playing PS2 beta so haven't had a chance to respond.

I think the reason my 3Dmark11 score is that much different is simply because of my I7 vs your I5.

If you look at the Heaven score and the 3Dmark11 graphics scores they're both pretty close. Mine has a higher base clock compared to yours so that that might be the small difference in the numbers. It looks like Heaven is predominantly a graphics benchmarker. Those scenes it uses are beautiful but there's not much going on for your processor to do whereas your graphics card has to do all those textures and shadows and lighting effects.

The physics number is the big difference in the 3dmark11 scores. The I7 is an I5with hyperthreading and that makes what looks like a 32% difference in 3Dmark11's processor specific physics tests.

So overall it looks like while our graphics scores are close because we both have 670s, the I7 is just a better processor than the I5 thus leading to the higher 3dmark11 overall score.

Edit: got the math wrong on the performance difference.

Last edited by Deadeye; 2012-08-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NumbaOneStunna View Post
Sometimes you can buy the non-reference coolers on ebay because people who upgrade to watercooling will often sell them.

You would just need to make sure they will work with your reference PCB.
True, but I'm financially at a point where I can't afford to fuck anything up, lol will just deal with the sound, it's almost fall.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

You know it's funny...my 570 is pretty quiet and the 670 is cooler running than that and benches say the reference is quieter too.
Perhaps it's because you guys all have cases with a dozen mesh bits.

Or I'm used to the older stuff still like the 200-series..or the single slot stuff that got going like a weedwhacker.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-08, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
You know it's funny...my 570 is pretty quiet and the 670 is cooler running than that and benches say the reference is quieter too.
Perhaps it's because you guys all have cases with a dozen mesh bits.

Or I'm used to the older stuff still like the 200-series..or the single slot stuff that got going like a weedwhacker.
Dunno, my 460 twin forzr was dead silent, this thing, too keep it sub 80 requires an audible fan.

Can't hear the fan in BF3, but I can hear it in ... other games <_< >_>
Old 2012-08-08, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

... other games <_< >_>
Well, other games right now can vary wildly between smooth as butter to seconds per frame depending on what day of the week it is, it seems. Such is the nature of the thing.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum