Don't bother with the Twitter key giveaways - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It just keeps going and going and going and...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-07, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Mechzz
Major

Re: Don't bother with the Twitter key giveaways

Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
i wasnt trying, but the constant beta keys mad me unfollow @planetside2 due to the fact that they were eating away at my calm.
lolsnap. Really got on my tits tbh
Old 2012-06-07, 04:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Notturno
Private

I think it's become painfully obvious there are bots farming the keys. They had the right idea on Facebook to put the keys into an image format to stop the bots, but I think the damage has already been done at this point. It would be a safe bet to say that when those accounts are accepted, you will see them go up for sale.

A shame, but there are other ways to get keys thankfully. So there isn't much reason to be upset, it would just be nice if those keys were going to legitimate fans instead of being farmed.
Old 2012-06-07, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Saerain
Private

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
What I don't understand is that I've entered two keys that seemed to have worked (they didn't display any type of warning message or anything) but in my profile it says the account is still inactive.
An accepted key gives a congratulation page. You can't miss it:

Getting kicked back to the account page is some kind of timeout, separate from the one that logs you off with a countdown. I found that you won't suffer it if you refresh the key submission page once in a while.

Originally Posted by Notturno View Post
I think it's become painfully obvious there are bots farming the keys.
How is that obvious?

I don't understand these comments I'm seeing from people saying, ‘I copy-pasted in two seconds and it was already used! Impossible! Damn bots!’ It implies that there's no way that even one person out of thousands could have been even half a millisecond faster, just because they were so impressed with themselves. That's an ego-shield fit for nuclear war.

I hope that this is not indicative of how quick people will be with accusations of cheating in the game itself. Then again, they're exactly that quick in most FPSs.

Originally Posted by Notturno View Post
They had the right idea on Facebook to put the keys into an image format
I agree that doing that was preferable, if only to eliminate that one suspicion from the butt-hurt thousands. Well, most of them. I still did see things like, ‘No one could type that fast! The bots have evolved!’

Getting a key in unused was just as contentious from the very beginning. Unless the alleged scripters had an insider in SOE to let them know there would be a key dump on Twitter, I can't see how the idea holds up.
Double exponential of the velocity of computing measured in CPS/unit cost, a.k.a. the law of accelerating returns wherein Moore's law's curve itself rides on a second curve, i.e. the rate of exponential growth grows exponentially.

Last edited by Saerain; 2012-06-07 at 05:07 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Mepper View Post
And they also said PS1 players would get priority acces. I'm not sure if you can call if priority, when you are giving hundreds of keys away via facebook (which were for the biggest part farmed by scripts, and will most likely appear on ebay soon) and twitter (which you can only get if you spam a few hundred tweets at the planetside account.)

And the people that signed up for beta testing weeks ago, who probably all want to help testing, get nothing.

I do not see any logic in this.
Are you serious? If you are a PS1 player, you are getting priority. Stop freaking out about people who are entering keys that says "Priority Tester," because they haven't flagged our damn accounts yet for beta. They are going too. All you are doing is spreading panic among the morons who can't read what the dev's post. Chill the hell out.

Last edited by duomaxwl; 2012-06-07 at 05:11 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I don't understand why they are doing this at all. The whole meaning of a beta is that you will let your game be tested, and try to make it work as you want, BEFORE ADVERTISING. You shouldn't advertise for products that aren't finished, that is just stupid.

And they also said PS1 players would get priority acces. I'm not sure if you can call if priority, when you are giving hundreds of keys away via facebook (which were for the biggest part farmed by scripts, and will most likely appear on ebay soon) and twitter (which you can only get if you spam a few hundred tweets at the planetside account.)

And the people that signed up for beta testing weeks ago, who probably all want to help testing, get nothing.

I do not see any logic in this.
This Beta key promotion got PlanetSide 2 in front of over a million people and wasn't geared for former PS1 players in any way. A few thousand additional people is not going to get vets in any more quickly. Realistically come Beta folks will have moved on to a brand new concern but for now we are trying to get PS2 heard about in every corner of the world.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
ParisTeta
Sergeant

What sounded like a cool idea, beta kive away on FB and Twitter, now leaves a bitte taste, the picture and 10-15 release at once where a lot better, then single one, refreshing all the time.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Mepper
Private

Oh they sure get in as first, I just want to point out it is not really priority since A LOT of people get in. They get in as first, but not earlier than hundreds of people who didn't play PS1 -> I don't call that priority.

And how you know there are bots? Because it is possible. It is so easy to write a simple programm that copy-pastes so much faster than humans could ever do. This is the internet, this things just happen, always, you make it very easy to sort of 'cheat' and this, then then there will be cheated.

But I do not believe there were bots for the images. Tweeting the keys in a picture would solve it I think.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
Mepper
Private

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
This Beta key promotion got PlanetSide 2 in front of over a million people and wasn't geared for former PS1 players in any way. A few thousand additional people is not going to get vets in any more quickly. Realistically come Beta folks will have moved on to a brand new concern but for now we are trying to get PS2 heard about in every corner of the world.
That I understand. There is nothing wrong with advertising. Only the way beta keys are being given away seems very strange.

I for instance signed up weeks ago for beta, didn't anything. Lots of dudes spamming the twitter get one directly. That just seems kinda wrong to me.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
You guys are doing good. People who are not morons will understand.

That I understand. There is nothing wrong with advertising. Only the way beta keys are being given away seems very strange.

I for instance signed up weeks ago for beta, didn't anything. Lots of dudes spamming the twitter get one directly. That just seems kinda wrong to me.
If you are a veteran, you won't get anything. There is nothing to give. You'll get an email when they flag your account as active for beta. They have not done this yet. This is not rocket science.

Last edited by duomaxwl; 2012-06-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Notturno
Private

Originally Posted by Saerain View Post
How is that obvious?

I don't understand these comments I'm seeing from people saying, ‘I copy-pasted in two seconds and it was already used! Impossible! Damn bots!’ It implies that there's no way that even one person out of thousands could have been even half a millisecond faster, just because they were so impressed with themselves. That's an ego-shield fit for nuclear war.
Writing a program to copy and paste data into a field is a trivial matter and isn't something that takes days to complete. It's something quite easily doable and feasible in a situation like this. Especially when you consider how we've seen next to nobody claiming to win the random text Twitter beta keys. Plenty of people have won them through direct messages, but it's an extreme rarity to here anyone winning one from the random text posts.

The images with the beta keys on them were producing many more claimed winners from what I've gathered.

I hope that this is not indicative of how quick people will be with accusations of cheating in the game itself. Then again, they're exactly that quick in most FPSs.
The jump from a simple copy and paste script to a full on aimbot is a major change in subjects and not even applicable in this situation. One of these is an almost guaranteed chance to beta test the game with no repercussions for doing so, while the other is violating the EULA and placing a massive risk in losing your account. One of these is not easily detected, the other has many avenues to be detected. Sorry, but those subjects do not equivocate and has nothing to do with the point being made by several people in this thread.

I agree that doing that was preferable, if only to eliminate that one suspicion from the butt-hurt thousands. Well, most of them. I still did see things like, ‘No one could type that fast! The bots have evolved!’
Now people claiming that are completely out of touch and clueless. Writing a script to gather data from an image takes the same amount of finesse as breaking captchas, which is not as easily done. :P
Old 2012-06-07, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Mepper
Private

I am not a veteran.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
duomaxwl
Captain

I'm sorry than. The way you were talking in that quote made it seem like you were a vet freaking out over nothing. That has been happening quite a lot recently. My bad, I misunderstood.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Mepper
Private

No problem

I'm just pointing out everything that seems strange/wrong to me. I'm not acting out of egoism or stupidity.
Old 2012-06-07, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Jownzorz
Corporal

Listen, we know there is a closed beta coming. What we don't know is the phases in which you will be allowed to test within this closed beta. I have a VERY strong feeling that the veterans will be the first ones in, and we'll be testing for a week or two before they open access to a second and third wave of testers. The people who are winning the random keys on FB/Twitter may only get access for the last week of closed beta, while the vets will get to play for the entirety of closed beta.

I haven't gotten any of the keys on FB/Twitter, but I know this PS2 team will treat the veterans right. They have listened to a lot of our feedback and they know we will be the most helpful when it comes to expressing issues with the game. We know what PS1 was and we know what makes a persistent MMOFPS work. So, do not fret my veteran brothers. We will see the light soon.
Old 2012-06-07, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Luieburger
Sergeant

Yea there's no way anyone will get those keys except scripters who are really close to the twitter site. The earliest I've ever seen them is at 10s after they are sent, and it was taken.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion