Improvement: How can we help the Galaxy? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a spitfire in your spawn tube!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-11-20, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Reaver
Private

How can we help the Galaxy?

My hope with this thread is to create some discussion that seems to be lacking about ways we can make the Galaxy a valuable asset to outfits and players. As most are aware the Galaxy at the moment is a niche vehicle, it gets a squad from point A to point B and that’s about it. The Galaxy is ill fit to perform sustained operations for two reasons. You sacrifice or cripple your defensive and offensive capability when performing a hot drop, and there is no way to replenish slain forces and sustain an assault outside of the medic and squad beacon.

When discharging its cargo either the Galaxy loses its defensive capability or your hot dropping force is now short staffed by several people, the pilot and any gunners you’ve left behind. Most Galaxies I’ve seen destroyed by aircraft was due to it being unable to defend itself after conducting a hot drop. Now this doesn't have to be, by increasing the carrying capacity of the Galaxy to 17 you leave room to drop a full squad of players while still maintaining a full crew of gunners to defend the Galaxy as it travels either back to warp gate or while it’s off site waiting for a base to cap over and pick up the squad. This makes the galaxy much more friendly to outfit players and “zerg” players. This also helps move the Galaxy towards a gunship role as it now has crew to man the guns and cover the squad moving to capture the base.

The next problem the galaxy suffers from is that its unable to assist in replenishing forces who have fallen. With the ams function being moved to the sunderer, squads are instantly pushed towards always having a sunderer on site. Literally the first thing most do during a hot drop is hack a terminal and pull a sunderer for respawns, from that point onward the gal is abandoned in favor of using the sunderer. The answer to this is definitely a controversial one, squad ams function. This allows a squad to respawn and sustain an assault while forgoing the necessity of hacking and pulling a sunderer on site, saving resources and allowing the galaxy to still have a need on the battlefield after the initial drop.

Obviously my idea’s are not perfect the extra seats creates a contradiction, the intent of increasing carrying capacity is to separate the squad from the Galaxy crew, yet the ams function relies on it being used only by a squad. Perhaps the ams cert can remove seats making it like the Galaxy we use now or even remove the ability to hot drop, making my ideas two possibly different functions of the gal defined by certs. I believe we, the community, can hopefully generate some great ideas to help the devs improve the vehicle that started my interest in being a pilot. I want to fly the Galaxy but as it stands now I simply feel like I’m simply wasting my certs on a disposable taxi.
Old 2012-11-20, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rothnang
Major

Re: How can we help the Galaxy?

The guns on the Galaxy are too weak to even bother with. The mortars are too hard to hit with and just not destructive enough to warrant using them, the Walker is pointless because out of all the crappy AA it's the crappiest one, and the Basilisk is OK as an allround weapon, but you'll have a hell of a hard time hitting anything on the ground with it.

The transport capacity of the Galaxy is also pathetic. A real life aircraft that size carries 60 soldiers easily. I mean, the Galaxy doesn't need a 60 person troop capacity, but the fact that in order to have any kind of sizable force on board you have to vacate the gunners seats once you deliver them just makes it absolutely no fun for the person that pulled the vehicle. You can either just ditch it, or hide it somewhere, losing out on all the XP for the battle except the deploy bonus, which isn't much.

The Galaxy is also simply too vulnerable to rocket pods right now. It can get blown out of the sky so quickly by those things and its weapons that can hit fighters back are so gimpy by comparison that it isn't even really a fight, the only thing you can do to win a fight with a rocket pod fighter is to ram it. Any enemy pilot that can avoid that will kill you.

A couple ideas that would make the Galaxy a much better vehicle:

CIWS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-in_weapon_system)
For once the technology in the future is more advanced than in real life and they have managed to miniaturize CIWS to the point where you can fit it on a big aircraft. The Galaxy replaces its Flares with CIWS, which not only works against missiles, but also rockets. The CIWS is always on and has 500 shots of ammo, every destroyed missile rolls 1-100, every destroyed rocket 1-10, to determine how much ammo was needed to blow it up. The CIWS certs up 3 ranks, with 750 and 1000 ammo.

Replace all the ball turrets with something a little more useful. The guns those things carry should be roughly the equivalent to Vipers and Skyguards, before that they just aren't worth using. Even the tailgunner in the Liberator has it rough with that peashooter, and let's face it, non-exploding weapons are pretty pointless against ground targets because it's just hard as heck to hit anyone with enough bullets to kill them. The Galaxies guns have to be worth keeping in the air if you want the vehicle to not be disposable.

Ammo reload and Vehicle Repair aura. Just like the Sunderer. There is no reason why this needs to be restricted to just one vehicle. These work even while flying, so you can recharge aircraft. Aircraft get repaired and recharged in a larger radius.
Old 2012-11-22, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Reaver
Private

Some pretty cool ideas! I'm a big fan of the Repair galaxy, just have to make sure it doesn't stack or we'll have a repeat of the invincible sunderer spam of early beta.

Another cert I would like to see would be forgoing infantry transportation for the ability to transport a tank. Just have to make sure the ams sunderer can't be picked up if they do add this.

Galaxy gunship, get rid of the passenger section and add a gunner seat with a shredder attached. A little bit of overlap with the liberator, but none of its tank shredding capability.

A better version of the scout radar with longer range.
Old 2012-11-22, 03:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dalorian
Private

What about Parachuting? Why couldn't you just have the Galaxy fly over a base and have everyone parachute out. That way the Galaxy never has to actually land to drop anyone off... To do it properly if your getting fired at, you would free fall till the last possible moment, then pull the chute...

Last edited by Dalorian; 2012-11-22 at 03:24 AM.
Old 2012-11-22, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Maarvy
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dalorian View Post
What about Parachuting? Why couldn't you just have the Galaxy fly over a base and have everyone parachute out. That way the Galaxy never has to actually land to drop anyone off... To do it properly if your getting fired at, you would free fall till the last possible moment, then pull the chute...
Well thats basicly what a hot drop is . The point was once everyone jumps out theres no gunners left to defend the bird in the air .... unless you only drop half the squad and leave 5 inside 1 pilot and 4 gunners .
Old 2012-11-22, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
duomaxwl
Captain

You see, a lot of new players don't understand that you are supposed to jump out of a galaxy mid-air. I wish they would make a button for a gal pilot that put the text on screen "get ready to hot-drop!" or something so people get what's going on.

I also wish they'd add the kinetic dampener effects back in. At least with those, people saw others jumping out of a flying plane, saw blue effects all around them and thought, "okay, that's probably protecting me, I'm going to jump and try it." At least that's what I did for me when I first played Planetside 1.
Old 2012-11-24, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Nathaniak
Corporal

What about giving the Gal 25 seats (2 squads and 1 permanent pilot), which can be certed to 12 seats and the capability to carry a vehicle (or two/three Flashes?)

Another Gal idea I've had it to allow it to cert into a 'destination board' that the pilot can set to show where the Gal is going. It could also say things like 'Squad only' and 'Out of service' depending on the vehicle lock settings.

Last edited by Nathaniak; 2012-11-24 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2012-11-25, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

A big problem with Gals right now is that new players often don't trust them, as their first drop will end up with them hitting sloped ground and dying. That really needs to be fixed.
Old 2012-11-26, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Gelnika
Private

I have also noticed that the Galaxy has been made obsolete since beta. I agree that the Galaxy needs to have either a significantly higher payload of troops or some other specialized function.
Old 2012-11-27, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dalorian
Private

I think the galaxy should have a utility that adds a coupler to the bottom of it. This coupler would be used when the galaxy lands on a vehicle, in order to grab it and transport 1 vehicle...

The vehicle would be privy to damage if it was dropped or set down to hard, or attacked while it is coupled to the Galaxy...

Last edited by Dalorian; 2012-11-27 at 03:25 PM.
Old 2012-11-27, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

I think the galaxy should have a utility that adds a coupler to the bottom of it. This coupler would be used when the galaxy lands on a vehicle, in order to grab it and transport 1 vehicle...

The vehicle would be privy to damage if it was dropped or set down to hard, or attacked while it is coupled to the Galaxy...

Can I pick up an enemy vehicle and drop it from 1000 feet?
Old 2012-11-27, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SGOniell
First Sergeant

Wasn't the galaxy able to transport a light vehicle in the original Planetside? I've heard references to that. Perhaps allow it to transport a single lightning exterior on some sort of sling system, and like 2-4 ATV's internally. This addition to infantry, though perhaps decreasing occupation by half or something, and never being able to transport both types of vehicles at once.
Old 2012-11-27, 06:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Timealude
Captain

I feel that the current incarnation of the galaxy is still too weak, even with the reduction in flak, the A2G rockets will shred them in minutes(as it has been stated in the forum.) I think we need an armor that would be able to reduce the damage of the rockets used against it or overall damage period. I also think it could use more health considering the size of this thing is the size of a small building.
Old 2012-11-28, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Reaver
Private

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
I feel that the current incarnation of the galaxy is still too weak, even with the reduction in flak, the A2G rockets will shred them in minutes(as it has been stated in the forum.) I think we need an armor that would be able to reduce the damage of the rockets used against it or overall damage period. I also think it could use more health considering the size of this thing is the size of a small building.
That wouldn't change anything, the problem with the gal is not with its hp value. It has a contradictory set up, lose your gunners when you drop or decrease the drops effectiveness. To top that off when you do have gunners those guns are simply to weak, a problem with all secondary guns on most vehicles.

I would prefer they address these issues first, and not to mention adding some utility, before they go about increasing the gals hp.
Old 2012-11-29, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
MrSmegz
Sergeant

To start with, it needs to carry 29 people, a pilot, 4 gunners and the Capacity for 2 squads. The thing is the size of a C-130 but carys the same number of people as a Sunderer? The Top gun needs to be defaulted as some kind of Flak weapon, maybe a single Burster or something that can really ward off aircraft. Vehicles should be added to its cargo capacity as well, but each Lightning/Buggy you put in it, takes up 12 infantry slots. No need to sling them underneath, just have them load up like infantry do and skip any fancy animations.

The Galaxy is something that needs to be maintained by a crew, for what it costs its just too damn disposable. If this crew is going to stick with the Gal they need a reason to want to stay with it. The Galaxy needs some staying power when it arrives on scene to deploy its squads. Upgraded Side, top, or bottom armor that cuts its capacity to 12 soldiers would work too.

For survivability, the Galaxy needs a good set of countermeasures like Flares, ECM and something like the Vanguard shield as well. They are very big targets and very easy to hit, they need to have customization options to where they can provide Close air support for a single squad, or Fast High altitude transport for two.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault