An improvement for ammo types. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where screen size matters.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-11, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
klungo
Private

An improvement for ammo types.

(I am re-posting this thread from the official beta forums to see what some planetside vets think about my ideas. Feel free to leave me some feedback and let me know if you agree or disagree with any of my ideas.)

Just a quick suggestion I wanted to make regarding the different ammo types in the game. As of now we have seen several different certifications for ammo types in planetside 2. These include anti-armor, anti-shield, soft point ammo, and velocity ammo. I think that instead of replacing the default ammo, these unlocks should instead allow you to carry a limited supply of this extra ammo type. An example of this would be if I unlocked anti-armor ammo for the cycler and have it equiped I would still have my regular ammo supply. If I press the X key however my character changes magazines and it switches to a limited supply of anti-armor ammo. This would all have to be balance tested of course, but I would imagine this being roughly half the amount of regular ammo so it would only be around 2-3 magazines worth of ammo. This would also give players the option to equip a few extra magazines to carry with them instead of equipping the special ammo to their weapon. I think this would greatly improve class versatility and bring back some of the planetside 1 feeling to the game without the need to bring back the tetris style inventory system.

Please check out my other threads as well regarding how I think the class system and certification systems can be improved. Please leave me some feedback and let me know if you agree or disagree with any of my suggestions and give my thread a bump if you like them.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...e-ideas.29950/

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...4/#post-399415
Old 2012-10-11, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: An improvement for ammo types.

I did not see you other Threads, but there are already Certs for AP Ammo & Stuff...

Sure it would be nice to have Ammo Pack but there will be "No" Iventory System, thats how it is, no slots for Tanks :P

Last edited by Rago; 2012-10-11 at 05:58 AM.
Old 2012-10-11, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
klungo
Private

Originally Posted by Rago View Post
I did not see you other Threads, but there are already Certs for AP Ammo & Stuff...

Sure it would be nice to have Ammo Pack but there will be "No" Iventory System, thats how it is, no slots for Tanks :P
If you read my post then you would see how I explained that it would not require an inventory system. Bringing with you AP ammo would be a regular attachment just like it is now, only instead of it replacing your regular ammo it would be a separate ammo reserve that you switch to by pressing X or whatever key you bind it to. Think of it like switching rate of fire only for ammo types. You would obviously only be allowed to carry one type per gun at a time, and it wold be a much smaller reserve of ammo(think like 2-3 extra magazines of special ammo). If you chose to cert and equip the "extra magazines" item to your gun then it would simply increase your normal ammo reserve instead of giving you the special ammo.
Old 2012-10-11, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
RovingDeath
Sergeant

I think this is a good idea. I don't always know who I'm going to be fighting, so without being able to actively switch between ammo types I'm just going to take the standard ammo wherever I go. There's no incentive for me to spend cert points for this tradeoff, unless I can duck behind cover, switch magazines and continue the engagement.

When you go out on patrol, you bring .50bmg as well as a box or two of SLAP rounds for your M2 to engage hardened targets. You don't just bring standard ammo, then drive back to base if you run into an armored threat. It's too late by then; you're dead.
Old 2012-10-11, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
klungo
Private

Originally Posted by RovingDeath View Post
I think this is a good idea. I don't always know who I'm going to be fighting, so without being able to actively switch between ammo types I'm just going to take the standard ammo wherever I go. There's no incentive for me to spend cert points for this tradeoff, unless I can duck behind cover, switch magazines and continue the engagement.

When you go out on patrol, you bring .50bmg as well as a box or two of SLAP rounds for your M2 to engage hardened targets. You don't just bring standard ammo, then drive back to base if you run into an armored threat. It's too late by then; you're dead.
Thanks for replying, I really appreciate the feedback. This thread hasn't really gotten much attention on the beta forums but I think this would be a great solution to bring back the ammo switching from PS1 without needing to add the tetris inventory system. If you get the chance I would appreciate anyone to bump and like this on the official forums so this can get attention from the developers.

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...o-types.30387/
Old 2012-10-11, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Timealude
Captain

Basically your describing the ability all vanu weapons had in PS1.
Old 2012-10-11, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
RovingDeath
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
Basically your describing the ability all vanu weapons had in PS1.
Sort of, except VS weapons could switch firing modes by right clicking and drawing from the same ammo pool. What the OP suggests involves splitting their ammo to include the secondary type (like those gold AP rounds). If you ever used AP ammo, a thumper or punisher (grenade types) you know what I'm talking about
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion