New Research Says That Analytic Thinking Decreases Religious Beliefe - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I hope this has taught you kids a lesson: kids never learn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-30, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
New Research Says That Analytic Thinking Decreases Religious Beliefe

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-0...us-belief.html

In other words, religion is a scam and there is no god, because if you seriously think about it...
Old 2012-04-30, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: New Research Says That Analytic Thinking Decreases Religious Beliefe

herewego.avi
Old 2012-04-30, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

Not sure if this warrants a new topic. Fits in the "science vs religion" thread as it is about different ways of thinking.
Old 2012-04-30, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sirisian
Colonel

Yeah this probably didn't need it's own thread. I did read this today:
As You Inch Towards Death, You’re More Likely to Start Believing in God
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-30, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Meh.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-10-01 at 11:16 AM.
Old 2012-04-30, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Excellent analytical thinking Malorn!

*high five*
Old 2012-05-01, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Yeah this probably didn't need it's own thread. I did read this today:
As You Inch Towards Death, You’re More Likely to Start Believing in God
Then again, it's also more likely that those of old age *40-70* actually went to church in their youngest years. A single survey is unlikely to yield appropriate results, those polls should be taken every 5 years to get an idea if that's true for every generation.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The other alternative, if the results are accurate, is that people with a religious belief are less likely to think analytically. In either case, it doesn't paint a particularly rosy picture.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
RawketLawnchair
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm going with this.
I may be "Atheist" in my belief but I know tons of people who are religious and open minded at the same time.
Old 2012-05-06, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Coreldan
Colonel

Now.. if we actually think...

If you believe and God didn't exist, you lose nothing. However, if you don't believe and God existed after all, you go to hell or something else nasty

Now, obviously this means its smarter to believe than not to believe.

-insert trollface here-

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-05-06, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

As education level rises, belief in religion declines. That's been known for a while.

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Now.. if we actually think...

If you believe and God didn't exist, you lose nothing. However, if you don't believe and God existed after all, you go to hell or something else nasty

Now, obviously this means its smarter to believe than not to believe.

-insert trollface here-
This assumes God is a retard. What if God is actually not a mongoloid and calls you on your bullshit? What if the people who go to heaven are the smart, critically-thinking non-believers who aren't taken in by phony religions? Maybe heaven is like MENSA and God is a pedantic nerd who only wants other smart, incredulous people to hang out with for eternity, rather than fawning morons who think it'd actually be fun to do nothing other than praise God for being God for eternity?
Old 2012-05-07, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
As education level rises, belief in religion declines. That's been known for a while.

This assumes God is a retard. What if God is actually not a mongoloid and calls you on your bullshit? What if the people who go to heaven are the smart, critically-thinking non-believers who aren't taken in by phony religions? Maybe heaven is like MENSA and God is a pedantic nerd who only wants other smart, incredulous people to hang out with for eternity, rather than fawning morons who think it'd actually be fun to do nothing other than praise God for being God for eternity?
It would imply I would want to spend eternity anywhere. Eternity in an unchanging, absolute utopia would eventually turn into being boring, and eventually torture.

The same kind of torture most religions claim will be inflicted if I refuse to go along with their farce.
Old 2012-05-07, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I agree with that to be honest. I can't think of anything that would reasonably be enjoyable for anything like eternity.
Old 2012-05-07, 02:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I agree with that to be honest. I can't think of anything that would reasonably be enjoyable for anything like eternity.
and you know what? if there IS a god, religions do a disservice to it by being absolute retards into the face of something like this. its something that as an atheist, forces me to laugh at religion and the claim of there being any god anywhere at any point in time.

By the way, Neil deGrasse Tyson is the man.

Last edited by p0intman; 2012-05-07 at 02:58 AM.
Old 2012-05-12, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Noivad
Master Sergeant

Analytical Analysis is only correct if all the data analized is correct. A lot of times it is not making the Analytical answer wrong.

Analytical skill is the ability to visualize, articulate, and solve both complex and uncomplicated problems and concepts and make decisions that are sensical based on available information. Such skills include demonstration of the ability to apply logical thinking to gathering and analyzing information, designing and testing solutions to problems, and formulating plans.

NOTE: Available Information

Boolean Algebra is the mamthematics of pure logic. the subject of study is either logical or not. There either is a God or there is Not. True or False.

Boolean algebra (or Boolean logic) is a logical calculus of truth values, developed by George Boole in the 1840s. It resembles the algebra of real numbers, but with the numeric operations of multiplication xy, addition x + y, and negation −x replaced by the respective logical operations of conjunction x∧y, disjunction x∨y, and negation ¬x.

This is the logic of computers, they use states of on or off - yes or no, there is or there is not. Boolean Algebra is the algebra of two values.

The problem with Boolean Algebra, and analytical thinking are that they rely heavily in absolutes. One way or the other. A very digital way of looking at things. In reality, we also know that between the absolute yes or no is the maybe. There is a state we call analog. There is an infinite amount of maybes between yes and no. True or false, up or down, there is a god, there is not a god.

For anyone to play god, and say that there is no god, or to say that there is a god, without considering all of the maybe in between, is not being truely analytical.

Science historically has been wrong about many things, because Science is a product of man himself. And man himself is the most un logical, least analytical creature known to itself.

So in the final analysis, maybe there is a God, and maybe there is not. But I'd rather err with the Analog, because sometimes Logic and Science just don't work.

"There is NO "I" in Teamwork"

DOG SLOGAN - "It's not the size of the DOG in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the DOG"

DOG BATTLE CRY - " Cry 'Havoc,' and Let Slip The DOG's OF War. "

And Hamma I see the VS and the NC have infiltrated your board. So the TR will have to kill them all and make them the yellow bastards they are

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum