Can this game be the biggest hit ever? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's craptacular.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-01, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dartan
Corporal

Can this game be the biggest hit ever?

Now, I never played Planetside 1 but from being a long-time connoisseur of all types of genres, especially RPG and FPS this game certainly has all the ingredients to be much bigger than Battlefeld 3, CoD4, LoL etc.

Also I'm pretty sure many people are sick and tired of modern military shooters or WW2 shooters, even before Battlefield 3 was released I was devastated they didn't release a sequel to much better Battlefield 2142.

It is so refreshing to finally see some true SF setting( I don't count Crysis 2 because the only SF thing there is the suit, everything else is bog standard).

And what really stands out to me about Planetside 2 is the effort put in animations(not all yet).

Seriously if the weapon animations and vehicle animations are not right, detailed and fluid depending on various motions, for me the game is dead. Animations always make everything so much better.
I'm sure this is true for many people but they don't articulate it that way, they say something like "weapons don't feel right"...

I really hope this game gets a huge marketing budget that it deserves, after all EA and Activision marketed the shit out of their games, and it is a huge factor if games succeeds or not.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Can this game be the biggest hit ever?

Yes. All they have to do is add prone & OSOK quick knife and it will be complete. F2P means just about every FPS player with a PC will at least install it.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-06-01 at 05:03 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re animations: The game totally isn't in alpha currently.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Yes. All they have to do is add prone & OSOK Quick knife and it will be complete.
And deactivate Friendly-fire at the same time ?
Old 2012-06-01, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Envenom
Sergeant Major

This game ooozes with potential. It will be a smash hit I'm sure.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
No..I like friendly fire. Keeps the spam down. They also need to remove 3d spotting. Hardcore is 4TW
Old 2012-06-01, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

The only thing that stopped the original Planetside from being a huge success and changing the gaming landscape was the fact that it was SOOOO far from a casual experience. You had to be a very specific type of person to like it. That's why vets are so passionate about the original game because it was OUR game.

This game is taking the spirit of PS and making it accessible for a new audience. I hope the emphasis on allowing casual gameplay in a dynamic world pays off! If people just want to shoot then let them enjoy the game as a pure shootemup but there is still plenty of room for large organization and bigger planning.

Hopefully this game will show the more casual crowd how fun a deeper game can be!
Old 2012-06-01, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Dartan
Corporal

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Re animations: The game totally isn't in alpha currently.
But from what I've seen personal weapon animations are rock solid which is the most important part:

-reload animation
-iron-sight
-iron-sight while moving
-recoil
-firing
-while walking
-while running
-while jumping
-while moving your view around

There are so many games that didn't do this right and thus become instantly a flop. This is after all your basic interface with the gameworld and in the context of Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 quality of weapon animations is quite noticeable because people grew accustomed to certain standards.

Last edited by Dartan; 2012-06-01 at 05:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
The only thing that stopped the original Planetside from being a huge success and changing the gaming landscape was the fact that it was SOOOO far from a casual experience. You had to be a very specific type of person to like it. That's why vets are so passionate about the original game because it was OUR game.

This game is taking the spirit of PS and making it accessible for a new audience. I hope the emphasis on allowing casual gameplay in a dynamic world pays off! If people just want to shoot then let them enjoy the game as a pure shootemup but there is still plenty of room for large organization and bigger planning.

Hopefully this game will show the more casual crowd how fun a deeper game can be!
I think they've struck a great balance in this regard. If you want to just hop in and shoot things from the sounds of it this a totally viable option. If you want to play arm chair general and get your tactical e penis fix, that is also there too. Sounds like a winner to me.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Dartan
Corporal

F2P means just about every FPS player with a PC will at least install it.
Yeah, I m not so sure about F2P model, you have to be very careful and smart on how you approach this.

And sure, I played F2P games in which I spent money, like Vindictus or Battlefield free2play but I hope they know what they're doing with this model.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
I think they've struck a great balance in this regard. If you want to just hop in and shoot things from the sounds of it this a totally viable option. If you want to play arm chair general and get your tactical e penis fix, that is also there too. Sounds like a winner to me.
Though I agree I definitely would switch it around and say that the E Peens will be much larger among the hop in and shoot things crowd, judging from my experience in CoD/BF3 vs planetside 1 lol.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Though I agree I definitely would switch it around and say that the E Peens will be much larger among the hop in and shoot things crowd, judging from my experience in CoD/BF3 vs planetside 1 lol.
Ha that's fair. The vocal minority of this forum suggests otherwise, but once the CoD and BF (<3) Legion arrives you will be right.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
JHendy
First Sergeant

Yes. All they have to do is add prone & OSOK quick knife and it will be complete. F2P means just about every FPS player with a PC will at least install it.
Get out.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Dartan
Corporal

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post

Oh, I would so like default friendly fire without the possibility of turning it off, it makes for such a better gameplay experience.

But they would also have to have some safeguards because there are a lot of trolls out there.
Old 2012-06-01, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
The Kush
Captain

Yes this game will steal the market and be the greatest ever
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion