Planetside 2 is a major disappointment - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cyssorside soooooo much fun.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-10-16, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
bodypopper
Corporal

Re: Planetside 2 is a major disappointment

un squadron?
Old 2012-10-16, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

It sounded like there was some pretty good news in Smed's post. Like always, the devs are listening to feedback 24/7. Keep sending feedback that you think is relevant and the game will take form.

I really think these guys will make it awesome.
Old 2012-10-16, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Bravix
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
Sorry, but I was in the 12v12 match talking directly to the developers about up-coming things such as auto-drive, auto-run, lockout-timers, removing auraxium, and flagging for private servers.

If you have a problem with people having more knowledge than you and trying to share it, then maybe these forums aren't for you.

That is all I'm going to say about this. Its beta. Wait until we are closer to launch, and then see where we are at.
I must say, the amount of e-peen in your post is well over 9000.

Last edited by Bravix; 2012-10-16 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2012-10-16, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Sticks and stones may break my bones... but I use my e-peen to hit them all back anyway.

To make sure everyone is getting the right information, make sure to check the beta forums, and you can catch a lot of the PS2 streamers here

Make sure to check out my stream for more developer comments, gameplay, and community game nights in PS2. *All factions welcome* www.twitch.tv/fortyse7en

There will be plenty of streaming from SOE live in the upcoming weekend. Stay tuned!
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST

Last edited by FortySe7en; 2012-10-16 at 02:16 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-16, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Valcron View Post
Planetside 2 is one of the greatest gaming disappointments I have ever personally experienced. I equate this to Star Wars Episode 1, they should just added Jar Jar binks into the game to put the icing on the cake.

The stripping of classes, no inventory system, poor mindless base designs and battle flow have seriously turned this into a Battlefieldesque type of franchise.

As of right now- when I log into I can't even play more than 5 minutes without being bored to tears. This just isn't the Planetside game I or lots of other people envisioned.
Being bored after 5 minutes has nothing to do with a lack of inventory or a class system, or even the base designs. It has to do with a continental flow that stagnates, leaves you guessing as to where the fight is/will be, and doesn't focus players enough. It needs to flow better to create good fights that are predictable, easy to find, and has some slow but steady movement along the battle lines.
Old 2012-10-16, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Being bored after 5 minutes has nothing to do with a lack of inventory or a class system, or even the base designs. It has to do with a continental flow that stagnates, leaves you guessing as to where the fight is/will be, and doesn't focus players enough. It needs to flow better to create good fights that are predictable, easy to find, and has some slow but steady movement along the battle lines.
Which basically leads to a cut back in footholds and moving people towards an objective.

From my understanding they are treating footholds like towers. The problem is how these footholds contribute to the overall fight. Sometimes you have an objective on the very west side of a hex, and your spawn foothold is on the very east side of a hex, sometimes without vehicle spawn. This leads to a good jog across the hex to get to an objective point.

If I could see one thing changed that would help combat flow in a direction more suited for the PS series, I would move these points closer to each other, almost identical to what towers were, but have more of a reward for capping and holding them. Having a place to spawn that is close not only forces the enemy to have to try and take it back, but it gives the opposing force a quick way to group up and make pushes. As it stands right now, you can just sit in a base and practically pick people off trying to run across the map to get to the base you are holding. This slows things down quite a bit.

In my opinion this is why Bio Labs are incredible to fight at, and are always intense, You are allowed to get a spawn somewhat outside the base, so you can constantly keep ramming your face into the bio lab over and over. The best fights I've seen have been in bio labs.

I do like the idea of footholds, but they are treating them too much like their own little "islands" atm. They need to be treated more like a staging outpost.

Last edited by FortySe7en; 2012-10-16 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2012-10-16, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
bodypopper
Corporal

yes it does,if youre in a battle you carry what you need to win (as much as you can)

plus if youve got the same old same old open wrath of khan cargo containers on every base you get bored.too many points to take a major objective,no choke points.

simple thing and simple minds perhaps son? if you had a build base what would you do?

reality can be fun in a game somtimes!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-10-16, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Lack of choke points is part of the problem. It's why people like the Crown, Vanu Archives, and Stronghold - all places with choke points. Things seem a bit too open in many places and there's little shelter from vehicles as infantry. Always some window or door that at HE round can come flying into, not enough areas where infantry can really shine. Even things like a few fences around some of the outposts would go a long way to protecting the infantry from vehicle swarms. Or plugging a few windows & doors so there are outposts with safe places for infantry and places where infantry excel.
Old 2012-10-16, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
bodypopper
Corporal

Twitch Stream
Twitch Planetside 2 Stream Group
14 Year Veteran. Progamer. FPS extraordinaire.

jesus christ.. words fail me...
Old 2012-10-16, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
bodypopper
Corporal

Lack of choke points is part of the problem. It's why people like the Crown, Vanu Archives, and Stronghold - all places with choke points. Things seem a bit too open in many places and there's little shelter from vehicles as infantry. Always some window or door that at HE round can come flying into, not enough areas where infantry can really shine. Even things like a few fences around some of the outposts would go a long way to protecting the infantry from vehicle swarms. Or plugging a few windows & doors so there are outposts with safe places for infantry and places where infantry excel.
THERE ARE NO PROPER CHOKE POINTS!!!

you can type all you like but there are NO proper base choke points in this game,best there is are the entrance to the bases from the trenches on easmir.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
Twitch Stream
Twitch Planetside 2 Stream Group
14 Year Veteran. Progamer. FPS extraordinaire.

jesus christ.. words fail me...
Uh.. ok? Not quite sure where you are going with this. Are you just randomly attempting an insult?

You also realize Malorn was trying to explain to you that they are working on it? He is on the development team. Why you are attacking his statement when he was agreeing with you is beyond me.

Last edited by FortySe7en; 2012-10-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
THERE ARE NO PROPER CHOKE POINTS!!!

you can type all you like but there are NO proper base choke points in this game,best there is are the entrance to the bases from the trenches on easmir.
There are alot of them, just not enough....Places like the crown have the 2 roads and thats it, the stronghold has 2 single roads going to it as well, unless you gal drop on these locations your not gonna fair well against a ground assault unless you overwhelm them.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
LONGFELLA KOJ
Corporal

My problem is how long it seems to get into an exciting battle. It's just alot of vehicles and hardly any good fights.

Now, I haven't played in the new patch but instant action doesn't seem to be very "action" oriented. In PS1 if you /ia, you were less than 10 seconds from the biggest fights. This game has ALOT of things that need adjusting.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
ringring
Contributor
General

Aha!

An answer or opinion directly related to numerous thread on the beta forums, which is great.
I believe Higby has said in the past that he wants Spec Ops and single squad play to be viable and if my meory is correct (relating to Pella's thread in the beta forums) then I think we're doing really well.
Old 2012-10-16, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
My problem is how long it seems to get into an exciting battle. It's just alot of vehicles and hardly any good fights.

Now, I haven't played in the new patch but instant action doesn't seem to be very "action" oriented. In PS1 if you /ia, you were less than 10 seconds from the biggest fights. This game has ALOT of things that need adjusting.
I think IA is just completely bugged.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion