Servers with FF:Off - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The best way to waste your time!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want there to be FF: Off servers?
Hell no! 156 82.98%
Sure, why not? 32 17.02%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-04, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Servers with FF:Off

Alternate ruleset servers are always awesome, so long as the playerbase can support it. Its almost criminally underused in MMOs today.

The simple fact is, players are different. Two or more sets of rules will let more people find their preferred playstyle. Moreover, this is very common in FPSs, where you'll have hardcore modes, mutators, mods, and everyone getting to pick how they play.

All I hear in this thread is a lot of "I know whats best for you."

@OP.. Try not to editorialize your poll questions so much. Its a lame tactic.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-04-04 at 12:02 AM.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Zenben
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
The playerbase will already be divided by using the shard system. The fact that some shards may have differences will do little to nothing to further divide it. After all, we're already starting the game with 3 servers according to published plans.
Shard system? Huh? Did I miss something? WTF are shards?
Old 2012-04-04, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Alternate ruleset servers are always awesome, so long as the playerbase can support it. Its almost criminally underused in MMOs today.

The simple fact is, players are different. Two or more sets of rules will let more people find their preferred playstyle. Moreover, this is very common in FPSs, where you'll have hardcore modes, mutators, mods, and everyone getting to pick how they play.

I see what you are saying but the reason for different servers is to fix the problem of griefing to make Planetside 2 better for some people...the only thing is gonna do tho is create a headache for planetside players on FF ON by maximizing griefing to those few servers.

FF on servers= Griefing servers...That is basically what SOE is saying by making FF off servers.

The worst part is gonna be now all the grifers are gonna be concentrated on only those servers which will effect a group of people more.

The way is now, griefing isn't commited that much to the same person and when it is, is only a few times then u grief lock....by all server having FF on..all the griefing spreads and thus doesnt effect certain players at all or much since is spread.

So I just think to not ruin the game...FF off servers shouldn't exist...

either that or make all servers FF off.

If Planetside 2 wanted to do a hardcore mode or whatever other mode server, then I wouldn't have a big problem because it wouldn't effect my server.....FF off servers do effect FF on servers tho.

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-04-04 at 12:41 AM.
Old 2012-04-04, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Zulthus
Colonel

No, they are not always awesome. Later down the line, the playerbase might not even support it.

It doesn't belong in PS2. Having FF and grief points is one system that makes Planetside unique. If the little kiddies get sad because they get griefed or TK'ed once in a while then they can just go back to COD. Segregating the playerbase like that in a game that demands populations can not be and is not a good idea.

Things like hardcore servers are fine. No servers with FF off.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Segregating the playerbase ... is not a good idea.
Things like hardcore servers are fine.
Wut?
Old 2012-04-04, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
Wut?
Hardcore servers and normal servers are only slightly different from each other. A server with friendly fire and a server without it are two radically different things. I'd imagine many, many less players flocking to a boring hardcore server, but everyone from BF and COD would run to the servers with FF off. Look at how many people in BF/COD play hardcore compared to normal.
Old 2012-04-04, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Can we get a server with OSOK and driver/gunner turned off?
Old 2012-04-04, 02:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

FF needs to be on for every single server. I think that FF being off is just a horrible Idea. For the love of god SOE do not do this.

Old 2012-04-04, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Zenben View Post
Shard system? Huh? Did I miss something? WTF are shards?
I think this term may have originated from UO... Anyway Shard = Server. Think of it that way, it's the simplest.

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I see what you are saying but the reason for different servers is to fix the problem of griefing to make Planetside 2 better for some people...the only thing is gonna do tho is create a headache for planetside players on FF ON by maximizing griefing to those few servers.

FF on servers= Griefing servers...That is basically what SOE is saying by making FF off servers.

The worst part is gonna be now all the grifers are gonna be concentrated on only those servers which will effect a group of people more.

The way is now, griefing isn't commited that much to the same person and when it is, is only a few times then u grief lock....by all server having FF on..all the griefing spreads and thus doesnt effect certain players at all or much since is spread.

So I just think to not ruin the game...FF off servers shouldn't exist...

either that or make all servers FF off.

If Planetside 2 wanted to do a hardcore mode or whatever other mode server, then I wouldn't have a big problem because it wouldn't effect my server.....FF off servers do effect FF on servers tho.
Oh God, Yes. Except for the Hardcore server versus normal server. Maybe.... maaaaaaaaaaybe, if there was no question about populations, imo. Like if SOE ends up having to add servers to cover for increased population to what they have already estimated then yeah I could see having a separate server for higher damage and stricter rule sets regarded vehicles.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-04-04 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
No, they are not always awesome. Later down the line, the playerbase might not even support it.
Then you vote with your feet and don't play on those servers. This is not a hard concept.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
IronMole
Sergeant Major

An FPS game is different to an MMOFPS.

Lol @ SOE, they might as well just make this game a BF replica. Let's just face it, the whole game has been influenced heavily from BF and very little elements of the original game is even in.

No FF servers, hardcore severs... Lol.. What's next? Infantry only servers?
Old 2012-04-04, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Aractain
Major

I would like damage to not apply but grief to still apply (so you can't kill friendlys but you can get weapons lock etc). A server for that would be great.

The game is going to have a LOT of people that... can't aim.
Old 2012-04-04, 05:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
I would like damage to not apply but grief to still apply (so you can't kill friendlys but you can get weapons lock etc). A server for that would be great.

PS1 had/ still has a lot people that couldn't aim. The best way to for them to learn is getting weapon locked imo. We do not need multiple servers with different rule sets. Lets keep it simple with FF:on. I see this as nothing more than a detriment to the game.

Old 2012-04-04, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post

So, people like you then?
Old 2012-04-04, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Brusi
Contributor
Major

anything that splits the playerbase up is a bad thing.

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion