Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait stop! Dont shoot, let me read my private message.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-04, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield

A lot of people complain about the state that Planetside 2 is currently at, and with the fact that we have basically been the guniea pigs for the PS4 release. I am not arguing with anyone on these issues, but.... after one has been exposed to Planetside 2 what is the point to Battlefield, or any other game (if any others) that fits the genre for that matter? This is the first time a Battlefield game has been realesed that I can give two s***s about. Alls I'm saying is even with how disappointed I am with the developers I am still going to play it regardless because it is the only game that can fill that missing void. Tell me I'm not the only one.
Old 2013-11-04, 09:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: Planetside 2 ruined Battlefield

Youre not the only. Bf4 is ok, but i feel a disconnect whenever the round ends. Rounds have become quite arbitrary after enjoying the endless wonderful battles in ps2.
Old 2013-11-04, 09:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Blynd
First Sergeant

Played bf3 for a bit while waiting on Ps2 buy couldn't give a crap about bf4
Old 2013-11-04, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zadexin
Corporal

I feel very similar with MechWarrior Online, a franchise and universe I love more in every way than Auraxis. BUT its all just play one round, end, play another round, end. Without tying things together there just seems to be no point. You play the same 5-8 maps a hundred times from the same 2 spawn locations and it feels very shallow.
Old 2013-11-04, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Blackburn
Private

I just realized this to be true, I normally love playing BF4, but I just don't care to buy it. All the battlefields were amazing because it was the largest fight I could find, now it is dwarfed by the shear size of PS2 fights.
Old 2013-11-04, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Planetside has ruined FPS games for me since the first time I played in 2005. Nothing else can even compete with the scope and depth available.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-11-04, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

One major thing that PS2 has that BF games dont - bullets go straight! Its amazing that people like the spray weapons of BF.
Old 2013-11-04, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Osskscosco
Corporal

After planetside BF4 is just a spawn behind somebody, shoot, die from a spawncamper CoD game.
Old 2013-11-04, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Planetside has ruined FPS games for me since the first time I played in 2005. Nothing else can even compete with the scope and depth available.
Same for me. Same year, same outcome.
Old 2013-11-04, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
torokf
Corporal

Yeah here too spoiled by PS2, I've been playing the battlefield saga since Battlefield 1942 and here I stand, not giving a cent for BF4, I know for sure I would leave it after maybe not even 100 hours of gameplay, played the beta and felt so shallow, the things I enjoyed the most were some cool attachments like 2 scopes from which you can toggle one or another and thaaat's it, didn't like the gun's feeling nor the game speed, Wth, no battlefield was that arcade.
Still I only played the beta so I won't say more, and where is my JETPACK?!?!

Planetside 2 light assault won't let me go! and what about the Infiltrator cloak!

Seriously ^_^

There is one thing I really dislike about BF and the likes is the DLC pay model, I don't want to pay for standalone stuff, I want the coregame to be improved and upgraded, instead they sell you this stuff that is entirely removed from the main game, new modes only on the new maps, special server rotation which makes your friend unable to join you if they miss the DLC and all that comes with it, I mean wtf!

Planetside 2 instead is in continue growth, with a metagame mostly evolving and driven by players ( sunderer placement, approaching territories, exploiting terrain and tactics )
we need GUs mostly to not let the gameplay become stale or boring on the long term (even though it's always fresh and free), we should make a thread for the One-year anniversary showing how much the game changed over the course of the year and how much the quality of life improved :>

On a last note I'll add that I never ever knew about this whole "Planetside" awesome thing until the very day of release on Steam,
I used to play (A LOT) Warhammer Online, an MMORPG Realm vs Realm full pvp 24/7 with a looooot of stuff that made it into this game,
at the time that game was already dead (it's closing in 1 month, GG EA & MYTHIC! it's free until then, try it out)
but not the love that it burnt my hearth
Permanent maps, endless enemies to fight, Different "skills" and features between factions, Inter-Guilds competitions, Duels!
Complex rvr system, and last but not least FREEEEEEDOOOOOM, to go where you want, to fight how you want, to play alone or by group, to lead or to follow.. leaderboards and respect between enemies and allies, a LOT of people to meet and talk to (also a good chance to train my english hah!), All of this stuff found it AGAIN in Planetside 2.
with a WAY better Development

Yep I love this game, it's the game I always wanted

Ofcourse it's not all roses and we're always Hyped for something,
Amerish Revamp i'm looking at you right now!
But seriously, there is nothing out there like this, the True MMOFPS!

Way to go SOE, you promised us support until 2025!
Don't you dare let me down

Last edited by torokf; 2013-11-04 at 11:20 AM.
Old 2013-11-04, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

while we can all say that planetside 2 is missing a lot of things which were promissed to us. it is still in my eyes the best fps out there by far. Sure you can praise games such as arma 3 and css but the scale of planetside combined with the combined arms makeup for everything. And hey in one year we might have working continental conquest .
Old 2013-11-04, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Youre not the only. Bf4 is ok, but i feel a disconnect whenever the round ends. Rounds have become quite arbitrary after enjoying the endless wonderful battles in ps2.
I personally feel that a round ending in BF4 has far more meaning than taking a base in PS2 that has no meaning after I walk away from it.
Old 2013-11-04, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dodgy Commando
Staff Sergeant

Planetside ruined Planetside 2 for me...

More seriously, BF4 is a very different game for me but, personally, I would still pick PS2 over it.
Old 2013-11-04, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
VampireCrono
Private

battlefield 4 provides a real "end game" for players who complained about it in ps2. that's about it. the battlefield franchise used to pride itself on 64 players, huge maps and vehicles everywhere. planetside 2 has one upped the franchise and took that spot pretty comfortably. battlefield has also become a relatively empty series, using the same engine since bad company 1 and embracing fps fans who most people despise (360noscopelonewolfheadshotmast0r.) this isn't to say frostbite is bad but the series has gone downhill, despite the pretty graphics and features (that were removed from bf3 because "people don't like that stuff.")...but with that being said it's arguably the best modern warfare shooter out there
Old 2013-11-04, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Maidere
Sergeant

Says you. Even on Giant Bomb I've seen a tread about PS2 and more people were confused by uneven fights and lack of end game. Massive and consistent =/= better.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion