Which VS carbine/AR/LMG would you recommend? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: �io hates me.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-31, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Which VS carbine/AR/LMG would you recommend?

After reading the thread about TR LMGs, I'd be interested to know what VS weapons people would recommend, and what attachments people find effective for them.

As a Heavy I'm currently using the Flare with an OG-4 scope and forward grip, which I find effective for close-mid work.

I also have an SVA-88 (compensator, 6x scope) which I got for mid-long range, but I rarely find much use for it.

Is there a better option I should be looking at? And would it be worth me upgrading from the basic Soltice/Pulsar for LA/Engi/Medic?

Old 2013-01-31, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: Which VS carbine/AR/LMG would you recommend?

I like the default Solstice for LA, really good at mid range (which is very handy if you're jetpacking up to high spots) and pretty decent in close. I recently switched over to the Solstice SF so I could get the underbarrel grenade launcher, so that's a good option if you want that or any of the other underbarrel attachments (I mostly got that to pair with my 2x C4 as a Sundie killer).

I like the default Orion for the HA as well, pretty accurate at mid range with a fast reload.

Overall, I find the defaults to be pretty good for mid range combat (that's where I prefer to be) so I haven't bothered to switch out (much).

Last edited by ShadetheDruid; 2013-01-31 at 03:29 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
JesNC
Master Sergeant

For carbines, IMO the default Solstice is all you ever need - although I have a special place in my heart for underbarrel attachments ^^ 1000 certs for that extra bit of utility might be a bit much for most people though.

For Assault Rifles, the default Pulsar is great, very easy to control and has a lightning fast reload speed. If you want a bit more oompf in CQC I'd suggest the H-V45, which trades reload speed for a faster RoF.

I can't really comment on LMGs, but the Orion seems nice and the LSW is also great for its low cert cost.
Additionally, I'm rather fond of the Lasher Give it a try!
Old 2013-01-31, 03:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

I agree that the defaults are effective actually, I guess I'm just wondering if there might be something better I'm missing. Also I'm bored of the defaults

TBH the Orion is arguably better than the Flare, especially up close, but I just find it rather bland. The Flare has more character.

Old 2013-01-31, 03:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
LoliLoveFart
Contributor
First Sergeant

Serpent is an absolute beast close range and pretty bad ass midrange with the advanced laser sight.
NS-11 is pretty solid but that common pool so i'd suggest the h-v45 for a pretty solid all rouind AR
As for LMGs, SVA-88 is a great mid long rifle with the flare being an amazing short mid LMG

Most weapon choice is personal preference, a lot of people in my outfit love the vx6-7 but i love the serpent.

Old 2013-01-31, 03:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by JesNC View Post
I can't really comment on LMGs, but the Orion seems nice and the LSW is also great for its low cert cost.
Additionally, I'm rather fond of the Lasher Give it a try!
Yeah, I've considered both of those - LSW for its cost, and Lasher cos, well, purple balls of death. What VS doesn't want that?

Question is, are they actually any good?

Old 2013-01-31, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
JesNC
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Yeah, I've considered both of those - LSW for its cost, and Lasher cos, well, purple balls of death. What VS doesn't want that?

Question is, are they actually any good?
I think levelcap did a review of the LSW in one of his PS2 vids, check his youtube page for that.

On the Lasher, it's rather spammy in nature and tends to work against you in very tight quarters, but its an absolute beast for hosing down firing lanes/corridors. Just don't try too hard to hit your target, aim for his surroundings instead.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I hate seeing Lashers even more than the normal VS fully automatic sniper rifles...

Old 2013-01-31, 07:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
After reading the thread about TR LMGs, I'd be interested to know what VS weapons people would recommend, and what attachments people find effective for them.

As a Heavy I'm currently using the Flare with an OG-4 scope and forward grip, which I find effective for close-mid work.

I also have an SVA-88 (compensator, 6x scope) which I got for mid-long range, but I rarely find much use for it.

Is there a better option I should be looking at? And would it be worth me upgrading from the basic Soltice/Pulsar for LA/Engi/Medic?
First off, I use the NV scope on all guns.

Which gun I use depends on the fight. For the LMG's if I'm planning on moving a lot I use the Orion and if I plan on working a specific area I use the Flare for the better range and better sustained fire. For the Carbines, I usually use the VX6-7, though to be honest I use the carbines far less now. Usually I use the Pandora for my LA, Solstice SF for my Engineer.

But yes, if you're using an LMG for close-mid range, I highly suggest the Orion with the NV scope on it. The Orion, for whatever reason, allows you to strafe faster while ADS(aimed down scope) than any other LMG for VS. It has the fastest fire rate as well but it also only has a 50 round clip.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I haven't found the NV scope to be all that good. Sure it helps against the occasional infil, but I have better results overall with the Reflex sight.

Old 2013-01-31, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

For LA/Eng:-

VX6-7 Carbine - It loses out very little in Rate of fire to the Serpent but makes up for it in buckets with reload time. (have tried both, went back to VX6-7)

Solstice SF - If you postively need underbarrel Grenade launcher, tried it for a while, but the bugs with hit detection on the grenade launcher made me stop using it.

Pandora + Extended Magazine + Ammunition Belt on my Light Assault is godly and I mean GODLY, but since I got the Auraxium medal (and 100 Certs) for it, I stopped using it to try to level up the VX6-7 to the Auraxium Medal.
(Use only CQC, as its useless for anything beyond 10-15 meters)

For HEAVY:-

Pulsar LSW - I used the Flare a lot, but prefer the Pulsar LSW nowadays for anything other than a Biolab (and a lot of time in a Biolab also)

Lasher - For locking down a corridor or doorway, but there are many other Rifles that do a better job at killing in any other scenario apart from the above 2.
Old 2013-01-31, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
I haven't found the NV scope to be all that good. Sure it helps against the occasional infil, but I have better results overall with the Reflex sight.
For me it's all about eliminating the flashy graphics. The VS guns, IMO, put out a lot more muzzle flash and make it hard, for me, to keep targets. The little bit I've played my NC and TR I don't use the NV scopes.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
For me it's all about eliminating the flashy graphics. The VS guns, IMO, put out a lot more muzzle flash and make it hard, for me, to keep targets. The little bit I've played my NC and TR I don't use the NV scopes.
That's a fair point, at night especially I do find my own muzzle flash sometimes ends up obscuring targets.

But I can't help feeling the NV scope is overpowered TBH - whenever you see something so consistently recommended over all other options, you have to ask whether it's balanced.

I may end up using it regardless, but it's going to make me feel dirty...

Old 2013-01-31, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Stellarthief
Corporal

As LA/ENG I recommend VX6-7. Using it with Adv. Laser, softpoint ammo and silencer (especially useful as LA). I have a 3.4x scope and a 1x holo. But I don't really use ADS much on it. It's pretty bang on for short range from hip :P Lightning fast reload, great CoF when Adv. Laser sight. Predictable recoil. High RoF (nearly that of serpent). It's also pretty cheap.

As HA I use flare also. 4x scope or 2x sights, compensator, grip, high velocity ammo. I use mostly the 2x sights though. Love it. It's a great weapon, but gotta keep the reload times in mind. I also use in 3 shot burst mode.

Also - I don't like the NV scope. I have it on nearly all my weapons I use (was a newbie purchase). But I hate the fact that you lose the around the scope view you have with other scopes and sights. It makes me get killed more than it gets me kills.

Last edited by Stellarthief; 2013-01-31 at 08:29 AM.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Stellarthief
Corporal

Double post,.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion