Any 56k PS players here? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: arives late at the office, but makes it up by leaving early.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-04-20, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Any 56k PS players here?

I'm one of the unfortunate folks who can't get access to broad band, my computer is pretty powerful (3.06ghz, Radeon 9800 and 1gig RDRAMM) but I am really worried about how it will act on 56k! Sure I'd get broad band if I could but I Cant, I thought about "piggy backing" but I don't know if that works either.. so does anybody here know how PS preforms on 56k?
Old 2003-04-20, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
DLR Evil Napkin
Private

well right now.. i wouldn't bother honestly. I'm sitting on DSL and it's laggy. Just because it's beta though. Things should smooth out about 4 months after it's initial release. I don't think the game will be at it's smoothest till like September or latest of October. Since you can't predict 40k people on the server when only 3k are on currently.

But if I have to make any predictions. Do what you can to upgrade your connection. Right now I'm pinging anywhere from 80-400. And that's during the good times. But I am thinking 56kers will have it rough. Maybe the netcode and such will be smooth though.
*Co-Founder
Old 2003-04-20, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Dragon
Private

Your proximity to the server is going to have more of an impact than your connection. I'm in SE ontario, canada and ping anywhere from 100-300 to the test servers on cable.
Old 2003-04-20, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Cyber
Corporal

I have two friends who got in through the 'bring a friend' thing, both are on 56k (well one is on 26.4) and they are able to play and seem to do 'ok'

Not the best situation though I don't think but if you stuck to support roles like placing deployables, doing ant runs, piloting galaxies.

But one of my friends swears it's fine and flies a reaver to fairly good success over his modem. I'm not sure how good it works for 1v1 combat w/ infantry though.
Old 2003-04-20, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Thanks guys, I've just been very excited about this game yet very disapointed that I can not get broadband. I'm not a picky man either, if I can get 250 - 300 steady ping I'm a happy camper. I plan on playing East Coast servers and I hear that this game is supposed to be "56k" friendly, I just don't understand how a game with 1000+ people on it will be 56k friendly, then again I don't know shit about how the game is coded or anything.
Old 2003-04-20, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Jakal
Staff Sergeant

Most of the development time went into making some insanely good netcode. Plus i think a lot of the hard work is handled severside in ps. I dunno im not in beta.
Old 2003-04-21, 04:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Determinado
Corporal

well mate, if it doesn't work you can upgrade your 56k to Dual or Triple 56k

Dual means one for upload and one for download.
Triple means one for upload one fer download and one for both.

It's gonna cost much but if you can't get cable, i guess it's the best solution!
Old 2003-04-21, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sprocket
Corporal

I got about 120-200 pings from central east coast on DSL. The game is completely playable at 200 ping. The only thing that worries me is the connection trouble happening at peak times. It took me four tries to connect last night and there were only 4k people total between the servers. They are going to have to do alot of upgrading to support 40k...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion