Day One: Vehicles and Armor - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: More fun than a barrel of monkeys dumped in a shark tank.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-10-29, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Day One: Vehicles and Armor

Since Hamma locked the other thread before I got a chance to finish this debate I have decided to start a whole new thread about it.

On the day the game is released (<--for everyone that failed reading comprehension). What will it be like?

We already know (<--again to help the 3rd graders) that you will need Certs in order to use certian vehicles, and armors, but does that mean all of them?

How long does it take to earn a cert? Does this mean that in the first month the game is out there will be no Planes/Dropships/Tanks/MAX/Stealth Suits, and we will gradully start to see them as people earn the certs? Will the game start out in an arms race with all the empires racing to get people certified in diffrent things?

It seems to me that there should be at lease some things available or were all going to be doing a lot of walking.

Once the game is established, it won't matter but I'm currious what it will be like from the get go

Did that clear things up for our idiot readers??

*disclaimer* The above forum post was written by someone who has not had a cigarette in 2 days and is suffering fom withdraws.
Old 2002-10-29, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

I thought you quit smoking?

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-10-29, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

btw you could have posted in the locked thread, you have nazi admin powers

Old 2002-10-29, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

I did quit smoking.

About 36 hours ago.

I also posted in the locked thread but I wanted people to be able to respond. No need to deny them the chance to prove me wrong since "If I had botherd looking" I'd already know the answers.
Old 2002-10-29, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
snipe
Corporal

Re: Day One: Vehicles and Armor

Originally posted by Unregistered

We already know (<--again to help the 3rd graders) that you will need Certs in order to use certian vehicles, and armors, but does that mean all of them?
i don't think that there will be any vehicals without certs. the only things may be, the AR, a pistol, and a light armor suit.

How long does it take to earn a cert? Does this mean that in the first month the game is out there will be no Planes/Dropships/Tanks/MAX/Stealth Suits, and we will gradully start to see them as people earn the certs? Will the game start out in an arms race with all the empires racing to get people certified in diffrent things?
this is how i picture it.

You get 1 BEP for every kill. to get a buggie you need say 200 BEPs(200 kills). In the begining, everyone will be running out to the other empire's bases and there will be alot of killing involved. in a day you might get 100 BEPs if you play for a couple of hours. by the second day, if you want, you could get a buggie suit, but you will still only have the basic armorment(AR, light suit, pistol). Then your BEPs will go back down to 0(if you have exactly 200 BEPs)

It seems to me that there should be at lease some things available or were all going to be doing a lot of walking.
for the first couple of days, most people will probably be using warp gates and the orbital drop pods. This will be until people get the certs for vehicals.
Old 2002-10-29, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

Well the drop pods will be an option, but it's gonna be hard to corridnate that an outfit of pods to land in the same area.

Your concept for the BEP's is a little off, but I understand what your getting at, and I agree. That if once you can get a Cert, you get one for a Tank, your not going to be getting anythng else.

Where your a hair off is that they said there will be no economy, so there won't be a "price tag" on things. It's like any other RPG where when you get enough XP you level up, but there will be no gold in the game to buy things.

I'm wondering if there will anything like the little buggy that is concidered "basic" and does not require a cert, or if they will do something like give you one or 2 certs when you start.

Personally I find the thought of being stuck in a flak jacket with nothing more then a pistol for god knows how long it will take to get a cert a little disturbing. I'd rather be able to start enjoying the game right out of the box.
Old 2002-10-29, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
snipe
Corporal

i know that i am off on how BEPs are distributed, but i think what they ment by no economy was that you don't have to keep buying weapons and vehicals over and over again. Otherwise, once you get a certain number of BEPs you can get every thing that is under that ""amount""
Old 2002-10-29, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

OK.

We are really saying the same thing but in diffrent ways. I picture it working something like....

1000 BEP's = 1 Cert = Buggy for Life (or Whatever you want to buy)

5000 BEP's = another cert = Better Guns

So the more you play, the more certs you get, but you can only spend them on one thing like the buggy. Then you would always get the buggy.

Your way just sort of cuts out the middle man. (cert)
Old 2002-10-29, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Kaikou
Second Lieutenant

hmm...you'd be suprised how persistant people can be...I bet you within the first day of the game being out there will already be many vehicles by the end of the day...the number of them will be nothing to the number after a week, then a month, etc. I've seen new asherons call worlds open, and the same day people have already completed major quests. It all depends on how long you play it, what you do in it, and which certs you want.

I'm sure there will be vehicles the first day though
Old 2002-10-30, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tetsugaku
Corporal

Originally posted by Unregistered
[B]I did quit smoking.

About 36 hours ago.
I quit 7 weeks ago, still sucks arse
Old 2002-10-30, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

The first week is probably going to be nothing more than a mad deathmatch of people exploring and checking out the immense world of PS. Once the initial shock wears off, then you'll start to see more organization and teamwork. The very reason PS is unlike any other FPS is because you CANNOT just jump into the game day 1, and experience everything it has to offer. You need to get your bearings, and develop your character as suited to your skills and interest.

I'm rather sick of this "waah waah, I want everything the game has to offer immediately because I'm impatient and I like to use cheats in singleplayer games because I want everything blah blah." Get over yourself
Old 2002-10-30, 07:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hamma
PSU Admin

I still think its a valid point.. How do i know im going to like the Mosquito if I cant get near it without a cert? But anyway, the VR question being sent off to the devs is based a little on this question.

Old 2002-10-30, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
RocketFodder
Keeper of h8ball

Like I said, I'm pretty sure we already have an answer to this question, and that it is "Yes, you can check them out in training." Furthermore, there's no penalty for trying a cert, and un-learning it and applying that credit to something else, other than a little bit of time. You can't nerf yourself.

[edit]Also, if you read his post, it isn't "will I like it?" but "I don't want to have to walk--EVER--and I don't want to wait to get everything."[/edit]

nubs D:

Last edited by RocketFodder; 2002-10-30 at 09:58 AM.
Old 2002-10-30, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well if we do already know it, I didnt see it anywhere

and im censoring out nub and nubs, its the gayest version of newb, n00b, newbie that exists who thought that up? they should be shot

Old 2002-10-30, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Unregistered
Contributor
Custom Title

You failed reading comprehension didn't you Rocket.

Where in any of my posts does it say that I don't want to walk ever?

It seems to me that there should be at lease some things available or were all going to be doing a lot of walking
Answer me this one then Oh Great Guru of Planetside

I'm wondering if there will anything like the little buggy that is concidered "basic" and does not require a cert, or if they will do something like give you one or 2 certs when you start.
That really sounds like I want it all right now, and how I love to cheat in single player games.

I really wish you would read things before you spouted off at the mouth like your Joe Planetside, and know everything there is to know about the game. There good questions worth debate, so save your flaming for your next Gay Pride Parade.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion