Gameplay: TR Tank Destroyer concept: Controller - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sorry, no more quotes are being accepted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2013-07-17, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

TR & NC Tank Destroyer concept: Controller & Vanquish

A Terran Republic tank destroyer concept.

The idea is to replace the current solo-operated Main Battle Tank with a vehicle with gameplay similar to the current Magrider and as a slower, but heavier alternative to the Lightning for solo players. The current TR MBT, the Prowler, would become a three crew operated vehicle, making it easier to balance, more efficient and therefore more competitive with the three-crew Harasser.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-07-19 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2013-07-19, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: TR Tank Destroyer concept: Controller

After drawing the <a href=hansime.deviantart.com/art/Ter...>TR Controller Tank Destroyer with its rotary 85mm cannons, next up is the New Conglomerate's answer:

The Vanquish.

(Yes, I once made a Vanquish concept for the original PlanetSide as well. The name remains good! :P)

A tank destroyer with a Gauss cannon that fires 200mm shells. It should be able to either have standard reload times, or as a secondary mode a charge up shot that releases automatically and consumes more power, but also provides more alpha damage in line with the NC spirit of hit hard with as few shells as possible and ask questions later.

The design was mostly inspired by the NC's Vanguard, the Porsche Ferdinand (Elephant) and similar tank destroyers. Note the batteries on the front.

Given it's a Gauss gun (thus magnetism), there's little recoil to be expected, so deployable stabilisers aren't required.
Old 2013-07-19, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
hagagaga
Private

I like this.

Although I play NC and can't stand those purple guys who are everywhere on Mattherson, it just wouldn't be as fun if they didn't get the update as well. The update could make the Magrider into this type of vehicle and give them a turreted vehicle as well?
Old 2013-07-19, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by hagagaga View Post
I like this.

Although I play NC and can't stand those purple guys who are everywhere on Mattherson, it just wouldn't be as fun if they didn't get the update as well. The update could make the Magrider into this type of vehicle and give them a turreted vehicle as well?
That's the idea.

Where turreted vehicles (aside from the Lightning) would have dedicated drivers.
Old 2013-07-19, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Really like the concepts reminds me of the Stug and another German tank that name I can't think of at the moment.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

I'm sure you're thinking of the Porsche Ferdinand (Elephant).

The TR one is a bit more a combination of the Russian tanks (IS-1 - IS-4 range) and TDs (Object 704/Object 268 range) in form language though.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-07-19 at 11:15 AM.
Old 2013-07-19, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I like the concepts and the idea behind it, giving those wanting to drive alone something heavier than a Lightning to do so in. Good way to introduce a new tank role while also getting a good excuse to make MBTs require more crews.
Only snag I see is possibly the Magrider, which is already like a hovering tank destroyer when you look at the design. But so far I really like your design.
Old 2013-07-19, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I like the concepts and the idea behind it, giving those wanting to drive alone something heavier than a Lightning to do so in. Good way to introduce a new tank role while also getting a good excuse to make MBTs require more crews.
Only snag I see is possibly the Magrider, which is already like a hovering tank destroyer when you look at the design. But so far I really like your design.
Three ways to go about that really:

1. Keep Magrider as MBT, but change the turret to include both guns for gunners.

2. Strip the turret from the Magrider, turn it into a Tank Destroyer and simply add a new tank.

Neither is an extreme amount of model reworking, it would just have to be done.

3. Add a new TD and keep the Magrider as is as a two crew medium tank (significantly less hitpoints than the other empire's MBTs and probably lighter weaponry as well), rather than a heavy tank. The balance would then be three full Mags equal to two other MBTs. However, they'd basically have a light and a heavy TD with extras then and no tank that is really good while fighting on the move. Of course, given it can strafe, that compensates a bit. That they'd be the only left with a soloable heavier tank might actually be quite powerful.

EDIT: Actually, there's a fourth option: create a two-crew mid-armour range vehicle class between MBT and TDs. >.> But that's even more work.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-07-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2013-07-20, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Love the idea. Adds a new vehicle, solves a bunch of problems with the MBT. Should make both the solo and crewd tank entuhsiasts happy (even though there stil lwill be a few whiners) andi finaly get that giant railgun I wanted.

But wouldnt Vanquisher sound better then Vanquish?
Old 2013-07-20, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

TRay will be showing it off on the next fanspam. So if you want it... :P
Old 2013-07-21, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Awesome concept, I think it would fit nicely.
Old 2013-07-21, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Here are some ideas for their unique ustilites.

Controller: Controller anchor mode.

Similar to the Prowler butt provides only a reload and fireing speed buff. However, it would also allow the behicle to rotate its turret in a 18 degrees angle, giving it a much wider fireing angle.

Vanquish(er): Magnetic overcharge.

Activatign the ability overcharges the next shot. The overcharged shot would have a short charge up (similar to the fireing delay the saron use to have, but longer) but the projectile travels much faster and inflicts much more damage. Unfortunatly the ability would also overheat the cannon forcing a significantly longer reload for the next shot. Cert levels would decrease cooldown on the ability, allowing you to use the overcharge more often.
Old 2013-07-21, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Slackermagee
Private

Would the magrider version be balanced by a slowing down of the strafe speed?

Because that (and the nice stability) is why the tank has a fixed gun right now. Give everything a fixed gun that's obnoxiously good vs tanks and you'll need to think of someway of making the magrider different-ish.

Perhaps they could have a single turret that fires on a reverse charge mechanic? The more shots you fire in succession, the less damage it deals, until you can't fire it anymore.
Old 2013-07-29, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I'm glad they are at least thinking about a super-heavy tank concept, though a single armament doesn't support other people in the vehicle.
Old 2013-08-21, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Silly Vanu.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault