"Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Press refresh again and get a special prize.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: "Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi

wait there are vets who dont want health regen? ***** what?

yea...what i want is to be killed by attrition after getting wave after wave of men thrown at me....no thanks...regen please.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-06, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Chowley
Corporal

I must say I really hate healing beams, i was really put off the medic class in resistance 2, Global Agenda, TF2 and Firefall. I hope it doesnt end up in the release version of PS2 anyway.
It just feels overdone at this stage.

I like the simplicity of the BF2 style medic, just throw down a box and bugger off to revive someone or shoot an enemy, much better flow to the game, more fun and would probably mean more people playing medic. But then thats just how I see it, so who knows.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I never liked the PS1 system. It didn't encourage battle medics. The beam doesn't either really. I'd prefer healing over time. So like a 0 meter syringe applicator you shoot into friendies that heals over time (and stops healing if they take damage). Much easier for someone that's just running with a squad.

Don't have to continuous heal someone and you don't have to stand in the same spot. A sane cooldown makes it a solid implementation.
^this

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-06-06, 10:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
^this
And yet again. It. Renders. Long range combat. Useless.

Especially for snipers, that most of the people here concider so OMGOP, and low-firerate weapons.

Basicaly a guy with rather quickly regenerating health can keep dodging the shots while hitting the target himself. That's what you call OP.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-06 at 10:07 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Old 2012-06-06, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I love how passionate some of you guys can get on so little knowledge.

If I had seen the medic beam bending and curving, I'd be convinced it was lock on based, but given that it appeared more of a linear cone, I'm open to seeing more of it's mechanics before writing it off.

"Healing beams are awesome, you elitist scum!"

"Healing beams killed my mother you COD noob!"

This is why we can't have nice things.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The beam also does something very important. It is a clear visual indicator telling enemies who is doing the healing. So if the guy you are shooting has a beam attached to him you know hes being healed and it isnt a mystery. Moreover it shows you roughly where the person healing him is. These are good indicators.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
CuddlyChud
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
And yet again. It. Renders. Long range combat. Useless.

Especially for snipers, that most of the people here concider so OMGOP, and low-firerate weapons.

Basicaly a guy with rather quickly regenerating health can keep dodging the shots while hitting the target himself. That's what you call OP.
But so does the hand held applicator from ps1. Any sort of infinite ability to heal will render extreme long range combat ineffective.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Except the applicator was not automatic, took resources, required to be equipped/upholsterer, and left you unable to shoot while in use.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
The Kush
Captain

The healing beam is perfect. A big upgrade from the PS1 days. I don't understand what everyone's problem is. And to the BF noob above me who wants to throw down med packs that's plain stupid. Not PS gameplay at all.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Masahiko
Private

The main things to look at are:
  • Rate of healing
  • Range of Heal

If the healing is fast medics will be 1:1 ratio and this is something that becomes annoying as you need more people to kill one person. This outcome, obviously, is not one that we would like to see happen. As everyone suddenly gets pocket medic and Juggs there way to victory.

If the range is too long then there is no downside for the 2 man team using the medic as he never needs to stick his head out and the other person is constantly getting a heal.

These points also apply to Armor repair. Well see how its balanced in beta though.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
The beam also does something very important. It is a clear visual indicator telling enemies who is doing the healing. So if the guy you are shooting has a beam attached to him you know hes being healed and it isnt a mystery. Moreover it shows you roughly where the person healing him is. These are good indicators.
Please, Malorn, I beg you watch the video I posted earlier in the thread. It shows perfectly what a medic with a healbeam, good dodging skills and a team of good shooters can accomplish.

I beg you, mate, 'cause I like the way you see the game, most of your posts and ideas are rock solid, but supporting this idea is a BAD thing! You, Coreldan and Sirisian are the last people I want to see actually supporting HoTs or Healbeams in a game like PlanetSide 1|2.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-06 at 12:40 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 01:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Im going to look at it objectively and wait to see how it plays out. Im at the point where im willing to give them a lot of benefit of the doubt for now if i can see what they are trying to accomplish. Beta seems right around the corner so ill wait to see how these things feel in game, with a squad, and not a demo environment. I can see both sides but I dont see the idea as fundamentally bad. I want to see how it plays out. Plenty of time to give them feedback of this nature.

Actually my biggest concern from the videos is the prowler model, which some folks have said is bigger and fatter, but i need to see the stream footage before I start another prowler thread.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-06 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Dreamcast
Major

Re: Healing beams, regenerating health and all sorts of controversy

Originally Posted by Bobby Shaftoe View Post
No you idiot, the real reason is that in PS2 you don't even HAVE TO DO ANYTHING and you get back to 100% health. Yet you are so mad about someone running off to cover, stopping, equipping a med app then an eng tool and having to keep a constant eye out for threats since you are completely vulnerable doing so. Whilst you're cool with PS2, find some cover, have gun out, wait a little bit.

You really think your terribad sniping in PS2 is going to result in someone not just getting into cover and popping back out at 100% 20 seconds later?

I've been waiting to see how you'd justify something like this being in game and it is hilarious, the differences between PS1 'super soldiers' and your average PS2 'class' are falling away each day.

PS1 = People get 100%hp without teamwork (You rant/rage)
PS2 = People get 100%hp without teamwork (You say it's good because it's a modern fps mechanic)

I believe the term you're looking for is Hypocrite.
100% 20 seconds later?.....Seems like ur talking about Planetside 1...might be less, more like 15 seconds-10 seconds.

Im not hypocrite...just stating the facts that this sytem is way better than Planetside 1 considering the time it takes to regen.

Stop acting like it was hard to heal urself in Planetside...Planetside seems like a much easier game in terms of telling where the frontlines were at so it was quite easy to hide in the right place and heal......Planetside 2 on the other hand seems way more chaotic, it will be harder to hide and heal.

Here's a video showing the health regen in action

The person gets shot at 1:18....he fully heals at 1:56.......Thats 38 seconds........Yeah man regen is so OP LMFAO

We need 15 seconds to heal our selves like in planetside 1

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2012-06-06 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Please, Malorn, I beg you watch the video I posted earlier in the thread. It shows perfectly what a medic with a healbeam, good dodging skills and a team of good shooters can accomplish.

I beg you, mate, 'cause I like the way you see the game, most of your posts and ideas are rock solid, but supporting this idea is a BAD thing! You, Coreldan and Sirisian are the last people I want to see actually supporting HoTs or Healbeams in a game like PlanetSide 1|2.
It's fine as long as there is like a 1 second delay after taking damage before the medic can heal you.

What we don't need are medic buddies who constantly have a healing beam on 1 guy, but with PS2's faster TTK's, I think range combat is already fixed. These healing beams probably would screw with longer ranged combat if the gunplay were like in the first game, but I think PS2 already has it sorted.

I'm not saying these beams are inherently good mind you, but I can see how they could easily be balanced decently.

I just want no lock on for them, and a short delay after taking damage before they start healing. Being able to heal at longer than point blank range, and being able to heal someone while both of you are on the move are fine by me, and fit in with the slightly quicker pace of the game.

I'd prefer medics not be as gimped as they were in the first game. This means better healing mechanics, and a revive function that doesn't infringe on a players spawn timer.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-06 at 01:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion