Extra Pistol Slot for Infils - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Stay here, if i'm not back in 5 minutes... Wait longer!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-10-01, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

Maybe if they only let you hotswitch the pistol slots... that would solve the decimator issue.

This would also help when you want to change grenades. Often i have a plama grenade equiped when i need that jammer one quickly.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2003-10-01, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
SandTrout
Contributor
The one, the only

Re: Re: Once again

Originally posted by Madcow
Considering how badly they gimped the infil class with their base benefits they could at least throw us a bone.
Old 2003-10-01, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Re: Re: Once again

Originally posted by Madcow
Wait, how do engineer medics feel? First of all, you are making a choice to have your tools in both of your pistol slots. You have two slots to begin with. Second, you still have a rifle slot so you have a gun available to you, you possibly have two rifle slots (so you can even carry your glue gun). You can easily have an REK as well as a weapon available, and still have a tool or two at your beck and call without an inventory switch. Infiltrators are the only people who have a single inventory box available, we can either choose to have the REK ready and be helpless or choose to be ready to defend ourselves and take another precious half-second or so to switch out at the right time. Considering how badly they gimped the infil class with their base benefits they could at least throw us a bone.
You run around i-n-v-i-s-a-b-l-e. You are making a choice to play an infiltrator. Secondly the possiblity of having a second rifle slot implies the expendature of another 3 points, plus another 2 at the minimum if i want to runa round with something outh then a supressor.

Do i disagree with you that I felt it stupid that interlink facility should have affect on non moving people in general and infiltrators in particular, no. However you knew the risks and the rewards when you signed on, if not having armor bothers you, wear agile, if having to fumble for a rek bothers you, wear agile and have your second pistol slot. These are choices you made and things you give up when you become an infiltrator. Too often people fall into this "Daddy i wanna be the ultra cool killer dude without risk or drawback." it doesnt happen.

Oh and if your wondering why I get so heated about people whining about their lot as infiltrators it's because I'm an infiltrator.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-10-01, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Jagd
Major

So showing up on interlinked base radars is that big of a deal??? My audio amp spots all of you clowns unless you're crouch walking, and once there are motion sensors in the field I don't even need to use the implant... Isn't the point of being an infiltrator to give you guys some sort of perverse pleasure in having to make do with fewer resources? That's what I thought...
Old 2003-10-01, 10:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by Queensidecastle
In my experience as a Cloaker most people do not have Darklight and hardly anyone has Audio Amp. On several occasions I have snuck into Base CCs and hacked them right in front of several enemies and even somtimes I escaped. Darklight is only difficult when used my MAXs guarding CCs but that is where Boomers come in.
Seriously, are we playing the same game?

1. A REK is loud as fuck, with the most distinct osund in the game.
2. MAXs aren't the only thing you need to worry about. A good infil can handle 2-3 guys,m but after 3, unless they're complete n00bs, you're dead.

Old 2003-10-01, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Everay
Major General

yea, i feel embarised now, a damned cloaker killed me, when i already spoted him, and had the jump, that never happens, they must be getting good
Old 2003-10-02, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
connovar
Private

hmmm

wanted to post a bout 10 replies ago, and now youve said all my points.

Yes swapping in and out is a total ball ache but its more than made up 4 when you take someone totally by surprise with a couple of well placed frags, the only thing that would make it better is if the avatars had facial expressions so you could see the look of surprise on their face

Old 2003-10-02, 10:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by Jagd
So showing up on interlinked base radars is that big of a deal??? My audio amp spots all of you clowns unless you're crouch walking, and once there are motion sensors in the field I don't even need to use the implant... Isn't the point of being an infiltrator to give you guys some sort of perverse pleasure in having to make do with fewer resources? That's what I thought...
Jagd,
Showing up on an interlinked base radar also means that Spitfires shoot at you even if you're invisible and stationary. One combat engineer can single-handedly castrate an entire infil squad. Literally the only way for an infil to possibly take out a spitfire is to surge past it dropping a boomer right next to it and detonating the boomer, hoping the Spitfire hasn't killed you by then and also removing 20% of your inventory. The fact that we show up on radar constantly is a double screw as well. Yeah, your audio amp spots us unless we're crouch walking like you said. Most infils who know what they're doing know when to start crouch walking. If you don't have the patience to crouch walk a long time through a ton of enemy then the class really wasn't for you. Now even that has been taken away in many situations. I appreciate that you played infil for a couple of weeks and it wasn't for you. It's not for everybody. You haven't played since the base benefits and really don't know exactly how hard it hit.
Old 2003-10-02, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Re: Re: Once again

Originally posted by Doppler
You run around i-n-v-i-s-a-b-l-e. You are making a choice to play an infiltrator. Secondly the possiblity of having a second rifle slot implies the expendature of another 3 points, plus another 2 at the minimum if i want to runa round with something outh then a supressor.
You talked about an engineer/medic. That's a total of 6 certs. Where you spend the rest of your certs is up to you. Do you have a choice to have a larger inventory and an extra rifle slot? Yup.

Do i disagree with you that I felt it stupid that interlink facility should have affect on non moving people in general and infiltrators in particular, no. However you knew the risks and the rewards when you signed on, if not having armor bothers you, wear agile, if having to fumble for a rek bothers you, wear agile and have your second pistol slot. These are choices you made and things you give up when you become an infiltrator. Too often people fall into this "Daddy i wanna be the ultra cool killer dude without risk or drawback." it doesnt happen.
What are you talking about? I knew the risks when I signed on? That's funny, I could have sworn that for the months that I was playing no mention was even made of a base benefit that would completely gimp the infil class and actually take away their invisibility. That wasn't a risk that I was made aware of. That's why I created 2 main characters, one to be a standard grunt and one to be strictly infil. Having to fumble for an REK has never been that huge a deal, it was part of the deal. Of course part of the deal is also that I can see when an enemy is using dark light to find me (I can't, much of the time). Part of the deal is being invisible while stationary if nobody is using DL on you (the spawn tube bug already screwed that, the base benefits further screwed it). Part of the deal is being barely visible while crouch walking (the sniper bug screwed that). What I'm saying is that the infil class was certainly not overpowered before these changes, and since the changes they are at a huge disadvantage. Possibly giving something to the class instead of continuing to take things away might be an answer. The dedicated infil is most likely the only character who has received nothing but nerfs since this game came out. The only infil 'buffs' are still pending and that's the Beamer change and the Vanu knife change. Puhleeze.

Oh and if your wondering why I get so heated about people whining about their lot as infiltrators it's because I'm an infiltrator.
Wasn't really wondering, and if you're getting heated on a message board it might be time to take a step back.
Old 2003-10-02, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

Yep 1024, we are playing the same game. At least I think we are. I am a dedicated infiltrator and the complaining about darklight is overhyped. It is actually supposed to be extremely hard to sneak all the way to a CC but good Infiltrators do it every single day. As far as hacking with more than 3 people in the same room, you can pull that off a lort more than you think. Lots of people are just AFK in the CC room and after the hack has been going a while with no resistance, people abandon the CC all together or are ridiculously AFK. I have sucessfully ruined many hacks this way. As a matter of fact, reading the AFKness of a group of troops is a skill that any good Infiltrator must master.

As far as the Interlink shit, Madcow has it right. Its total bullshit for Infiltrators right now and totally ruins the point of a cloaking class at all. The spirit of the Interlink benifits is so that you can see enemies on your base radar but I dont think it was meant to apply to cloakers. I think that it was just too hard or would take too long to code an exception for cloaking so they just left it out. What we need to do is have the Devs realize how this shafted the whole concept of cloaking and get them to fix it.

Old 2003-10-02, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Jagd
Major

Ok wait a minute here guys... From reading the patch notes it says that Interlink radar picks up running troops, even cloakers. This means that you just have to walk or crouch walk to get past the spitfires, which is still a leg up stealthwise, since no matter how slowly everyone else moves we're still spitfire bait. I thought infiltration was all about patience, and this doesn't sound like it changes anything.
Old 2003-10-02, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Kikinchikin

Agreed. I wish I could have a second slot just for the REK. Would be very useful. But at the same time it isn't THAT big of an inconvenience, so I dont really care.

About darklight. I've played as both sides of the thing. I know i've pissed off quite a few infils because I turn on Darklight at random times. That's not the darklight being overpowered thats someone whos smart using it properly. And as an infil i find myself getting angry when someone does what i did as a grunt. All part of the territory.

The sheer amount of surprise makes up for most handicaps infils have. Today I was in a zerged base and was looking right at an infil and another guy both wanting the LLU of a base about to be capped. Without warning i down both with my amp then am able to wreak a little more havoc b4 getting oneshotted by the n00bhammer.

So yes I think infiltrators are almost perfectly balanced, altho a slight nerfing of the interlink benefit so we dont show up even if we are crouch walking, thus making spitfires not shoot at us if we are crouching might be in order.
Old 2003-10-02, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Ya, i'd have to agree with you on the AFKness on long time CC defenders.

And Madcow, i completley agree with you and have argued the same point so many times. People so, "Oh but you guys are invisible!" But the DL bug screws that most of the time. People say, "Just crouch walk and you can get by so many times!" But the scope bug screws that. Etc.

Old 2003-10-02, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Jagd
Major

What are the "scope bug" and the "DL bug" that you're referring to?
Old 2003-10-02, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
MilitantB0B
Colonel

To all of you saying that the number of people with darklight are directly related to the number of cloackers are wrong. It is directly related to the suckiness of all the other implants. There is very few good implants, and only a hand full that are really usefull at all outside of very specialized encounters. Make better alternatives to darklight, and people will chose it. Lets face it, darklight isn't very "sexy" and if there was an implant that was as practicle as DL and was cooler, it would help the cloackers a great deal.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion