to buy or not to buy - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Toys "R" us!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-14, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
linemanlister
Private

Question to buy or not to buy

I was in the beta and liked the game but problem$ came up and i was not able to buy it when it came out. i am a college $tudent and wanted to buy it when $chool $tatrt$ up but $eeing every one jump $hip make$ me fear that i will wa$ting my money.

witch brings me to mind a few questions

1) do you think that the game will pick up or end? and when, why?

2) have you heard of anther mmorfps ? if so when will it be released what is its name and ratings?
Old 2003-07-14, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hexen
Sergeant

Well World War 2 Online has been out for years, even though SoE claimed that PlanetSide was the first MMOFPS out.

Theres a 7 day trial for WW2OL, I tried it and personally I didn't care for it at all.
Old 2003-07-15, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
CrazyCrazy
Corporal

its worth it, according to me

I have played several other mmorpg's, but this is much different, and IMHO, more fun. I think it will last longer than most mmorpg's just based on the fact that a newb player can be just as effective, and have just as much fun as a seasoned veteran. It favors the casual gamer just as much as the power-gamer. Most MMORPG's are far more frustrating for newbs, and the dropoff rate after the first 30 days can prove it. There is no attempt here at a "player-economy", in fact no economy at all. Although there is levelling, there is a comparitively easy to acheive upper limit. I think this is a good thing for the mass market, and I think this game can enjoy wider and more long term success.

Trying to put a player-economy in SWG is a horible idea. Only a small niche of power-gamers enjoys that sort of game. When your playing a monthly fee MMOG, what really makes the game "worth it" is a sizeable subscriber base. Personally I feel that Planetside has the potential to attaract the largest subscriber base of any mmog, if a few things are tweaked. The only thing that SWG and the upcoming matrix really have over it is a name.

All in all, I'd say go for a month, and decide to take more later. In fact, i think you can download it for free wiht a 7-day free trial right now. But SOE's not paying me, so I'll stop advertising for them now.
Old 2003-07-15, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Ship what ship? I don' see no stinking ship.

but $eeing every one jump $hip make$ me fear that i will wa$ting my money.
How do you see this if you dont play? Honestly, people have been coming to this game in far greater numbers then are leaving. This site is filled with planetside enthuisiasts but you are thinking everryone is leaving and i'm like? Huh? As always the vocal minority of idiots going "I'm leaving because i keep getting owned but i really blame it on the devs" post more then the vast majority who are frankly too busy playing to post.

If it wernt for work I'd never post here, it's no rag on this site but if i'm at home and the DSL is up I'm on planetside.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-07-15, 03:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
BloodWulfe
Corporal

How many of these threads do we have to have a day? I know Hamma said to expect it and to stay cool, but.. it's.. so.. hard.. (Kidding of course)

1) do you think that the game will pick up or end? and when, why?

2) have you heard of anther mmorfps ? if so when will it be released what is its name and ratings?
1) It's popular right now. Many new features are being added, changes, balances, you name it. It's only bound to become more popular in the end. Check out PSU's patch log page for information on some of the changes, and check out the dev tracker over at the offical site to see what's going on.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...evtracker.html

2) The only other true MMOFPS available is, as Hexen said, WW2O. I didn't care for it, but I can't speak on behalf of the game - I didn't play for very long.

http://www.wwiionline.com/

Postscript: I take it your 's' key is broken? But you said 'mmorfps' ... This hurts my brain.

[ Signature pwnd by Admin. ]
Old 2003-07-15, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MercFox1
Staff Sergeant

If you like FPS's with a touch of RTS, get this most definately. If you're tired of Everquest, then get SWG

Old 2003-07-16, 01:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
linemanlister
Private

Thank you for responding I think I will subscribe
To clear up some things
1)
A) I have not seen how many copes of this game has been sold. I have not seen the sever pop. But seeing the post at sony.station.com which say I am leaving/I am having trouble finding people to play/they need to consolidate severs. had me a little worried.
B) The fact that SOE is giving away a free seven day trial that made me doubt it was doing well.
2) I cant post in http://planetside.station.sony.com until I subscribe to PS. Witch I wont do for about a month. Going to get a cable modem first.

3)the mmorfps thing was a typo meant mmofps. I don�t like video game rpg�s online or not. I do like fps quite a bit.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion