my lengthy diatribe on bunkers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Halloween is like every other day.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-07-14, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SumYungGui
Staff Sergeant

my lengthy diatribe on bunkers

whilst slaughtering a few oppressive Terran Regime soldiers in the cold blooded yet forgivable manner of a war, I happened to have a brief moment of lucidity. for some reason the bunker that was in my crosshairs leaped out at me, mentally slapped me across the face, said 'hey stupid! think about me!' then refused to close the door on the way out of my mind. perhaps it was the fact that in the course of the last hour or more of fighting in this fairly heated battle I had yet to see a single person attempt to occupy it for strategic advantage. regardless, I started this eerie process that some people apparently call 'thinking' and came across a few concerns/ideas.

bunkers seem to me to be largely ignored, and while I feel there are a multitude of reasons for this I still think I can fully understand why. they're pretty much pointless and risky on top of it. as a brief mental exercise, before which I had to do alot of mental "warming up" to avoid hurting myself, I thought 'what if someone was to use a bunker?'. some good came out of this process, and we'll get to that later. for now lets cover the few things I've decided, in my infinite and peerless wisdom, that I don't like.

-their placement and positioning really seems to be out of synch with their usefulness. most of them seem to offer stunning views of the backside of a rock or breathtaking vistas consisting of 10 square feet of hill in front of you, while others offer truly delightful ocean-side views with a guarantee of no nosy neighbors or enemy soldiers ruining your contemplations of life, the universe, and everything (which, incidentally is 6X9=42).

-they have a totally open door behind you in addition to a passage to another bunker that you have zero hope of keeping an eye on as you try to fire at the approaching enemies. you're just barely safer being in a bunker than anywhere else on flat land right outside of your own base

-I personally find the little ramp on the ground in front of the 'firing windows' to be inappropriately designed.

-they don't actually offer anything that satisfies my inner monkey's desire for the 'neato' factor.

risking mental life and limb I continued my mental exercise and asked myself 'self, what would you do to fix them? now remember you simpleton, game balance has to be considered in everything you do so don't go overboard'. cowering slightly in fear of my mean-spiritedness I managed to stammer out a few answers:

I feel bunkers need to stop this childish desire for independance. they're simply not ready for that kind of responsibility. they need to suck it up and become one with the force, err, base. assuming you've played planetside for a little while you know the shape of the gates to a base, which is good because you're gonna need that thought a few sentences from now. herein, I propose to maim three birds with one stone. those three birds are the independance of bunkers, the general feeling that gates suck as defense, and the lack of a warm fuzzy 'safe' feeling while in a bunker. take the bunker, ram it into that large flat, totally gauche section of wall under the overpass on the inside of the gate to a base. after ramming it in there, stretch it a bit and wrap around the wall just a skosh. we'll end up with a vertically stretched 'C' looking shape that now has a commanding view of the passageway between the outside of the base to the inside. don't wrap it around too far, limit the people in there to defending the gate itself. (I'm actually gonna throw the ball in everyone else's court here, and leave it totally open to speculation as to the height of this set up. should it be high enough to leave a blind spot under each bunker that has to be covered by the opposite bunker, or should it be right on the ground so nobody can sneak past?) anyone trying to just waltz through the gate with the new, improved, low low price of a single patch bunker would now have to contend with some actual defense, rather than the inevitable spitfire turret stuffed into that corner behind the gate (you all know exactly where I'm talking about, admit it.) having bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated our bunker into a good position we now need to offer our defenders a way in. this is easy to accomodate, while addressing the second little dash I made up there ^. if the entrance to the bunker is an off-shoot hallway of the inside of the base compound then you have a fair, though not complete and thus still paranoia inducing, sense of security and can concentrate on making dead things out of the currently walking and shooting things trying to get in your base.

next up we have the little ramps in front of the 'firing windows'. they're good in theory, but they need some working. they need to be calibrated so that anyone standing back a few inches, off of the ramp, is at 'eye level' with the firing window. anyone standing on the ramp, when crouched, should be at the optimal shooting level as well, which would give them the crouched accuracy. at the middle of the ramp as we go from left to right there needs to be a little niche carved out so that a MAX can stand there and be at the optimum level.

finally, we have to satisfy my inner monkey always looking for the shiny new stuff in the world. he told me he wants to have some kind of light turret between the top of the bunker and the bottom of the overhead walk-way. nothing as big and nasty as the phalanx turrets we have on the walls, and it should be only anti-infantry in it's set up. he does think it should be repairable from inside the bunker, but that point is open to debate.

so, there you have it. my rambling diatribe on bunkers. bye bye for now.
Old 2003-07-14, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Trebor95
First Sergeant

May I be the first to say

"What an absolutely amazing post"

your use of grammar and punctuation was excellent.

I do think this should be copied and pasted into the wishlist.

As for the bunkers, excellent suggestions, we need more base defenses. Sandbags, wire, trenches, active sensors, upgraded/different turrets i.e on the roof of a base there could be steps leading up to a flak battery.

the entrance to bases could also be protected by cannons.

Doors should be able to be barricaded and cleared by boomers. etc.
Old 2003-07-14, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheRegurgitator
Major

equipment and med terms halfway between the tunnels!
Old 2003-07-14, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by Trebor95
Doors should be able to be barricaded and cleared by boomers. etc.
yeah baby

Old 2003-07-14, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
YukonJack
Private

Cool Nicely done

I must confess I've been lurkin through these forums for quite some time. After reading yer post I had to register just so I could reply.

This is an excellent idea, but that alone may not have accomplished much. Your delivery and pitch of this idea are sure to attract attention. I agree this should be sent to the wishlist, just as it is.

I look forward to occupying one of these bunkers.

Nicely done

-Yukon Jack
(sig coming eventually)
Old 2003-07-14, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It would be great if Bunkers were more than a waste of time. Your idea has a lot of merit and I like it.
Old 2003-07-14, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Vowels
Private

This was a good post. I'm glad you resurrected it.
Old 2003-07-14, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
DarthMidget
Contributor
Private

Very constructive post. Very good ideas.

Also, in addition to bunkers, could we troopers running across the top of the walls get some protection from pesky aircraft? I mean, c'mon, someone built a military compound with walls for defensive features and in an age of aircraft left the tops of these walls completely open? Now, I'm not advocating the complete roofing of the base, but a few 'bomb shelters' that are somewhat enclosed on the top of the walls would give the defenders the ability to at least survive an aircraft attack out in the open.

I think we all agree that the defensive capabilities of the various bases need to be boosted considerably. I don't think it would be out of the question for it to be fairly easy for 50 to hold a base against 100. This would force people to actually use tactics in their base assaults rather than just mindlessly zerging.
Old 2003-07-14, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
PeregineDive
Staff Sergeant

Excellent post man. I love your ideas for the bunkers... maybe someone will get wind of them. The only times I have used bunkers would be when I am attacking a base and need to take cover so NC/TR can't find me. This would add considerably to the strategery found in the game

-PD
Old 2003-07-14, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Karak
Private

This is an Awesome idea man! i mean i read a bit of the wishlist, and alot of them seem to be things that will totally alter the game. (im thinking like that one air carrier idea, while neat it is in effect a totally diffrent game) and of course the inevitable shite ones. But this is really awesome, it is well thought out, doesnt totally alter game play..it infact offers more options for one. I am not sure about having the doors openable by boomers and barracadible...how about if the bunkers were to open into the bases basement? that would make them reasonably secure though still accesible. That would also bring more relevance to the back door..... as in a small team has to break into the back door and clear out the bunkers (maybe a couple of infiltrators with boomers) so the main assault can push through without getting slaughtered.

I dont even think putting a turret in there is really neccessary..just a bunch of guys with AV HA and all the other good weapons should be able to massacre just about any charge to the door....notice charge..cause an organized assault could probably still get past the bunkers with a few well placed grenades or missles.

This would also put a new relevance to the Vanu MAX jumpjets, i mean they can totally by pass the bunkers and get some heavy fire power into the base...going back to their greater mobility that SOE says they have

hehe i love this idea if you cant tell ^_^ we definatly need to try and get this to the attention of the developers =o

maybe we can get spork to come and look at it or something. I dunno, but again awesome post man
Old 2003-07-14, 09:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Happy lil Elf
Contributor
Colonel

Take some writing classes. With some polish you may be able to make it.

P.S. That means the excellence of your ideas could only be overshadowed by the brilliant way in which they were presented.

*Edit*
Stupid changing scentence format in the middle and fucking it all up.

Yay, all fixed now.
*Edit*

Its eating it's food. (Incorrect use of apostrophes specifically for UV)
"Oni wont get banned, unless you get banned. Its a 2 man ticket."-Hamma to TekDragon re: his request to ban Oni. Life is good.
Old 2003-07-14, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
shinken
First Sergeant

Re: my lengthy diatribe on bunkers

Originally posted by SumYungGui
whilst slaughtering a few oppressive Terran Regime soldiers in the cold blooded yet forgivable manner of a war, I happened to have a brief moment of lucidity. for some reason the bunker that was in my crosshairs leaped out at me, mentally slapped me across the face, said 'hey stupid! think about me!' then refused to close the door on the way out of my mind. perhaps it was the fact that in the course of the last hour or more of fighting in this fairly heated battle I had yet to see a single person attempt to occupy it for strategic advantage. regardless, I started this eerie process that some people apparently call 'thinking' and came across a few concerns/ideas.

bunkers seem to me to be largely ignored, and while I feel there are a multitude of reasons for this I still think I can fully understand why. they're pretty much pointless and risky on top of it. as a brief mental exercise, before which I had to do alot of mental "warming up" to avoid hurting myself, I thought 'what if someone was to use a bunker?'. some good came out of this process, and we'll get to that later. for now lets cover the few things I've decided, in my infinite and peerless wisdom, that I don't like.

-their placement and positioning really seems to be out of synch with their usefulness. most of them seem to offer stunning views of the backside of a rock or breathtaking vistas consisting of 10 square feet of hill in front of you, while others offer truly delightful ocean-side views with a guarantee of no nosy neighbors or enemy soldiers ruining your contemplations of life, the universe, and everything (which, incidentally is 6X9=42).

-they have a totally open door behind you in addition to a passage to another bunker that you have zero hope of keeping an eye on as you try to fire at the approaching enemies. you're just barely safer being in a bunker than anywhere else on flat land right outside of your own base

-I personally find the little ramp on the ground in front of the 'firing windows' to be inappropriately designed.

-they don't actually offer anything that satisfies my inner monkey's desire for the 'neato' factor.

risking mental life and limb I continued my mental exercise and asked myself 'self, what would you do to fix them? now remember you simpleton, game balance has to be considered in everything you do so don't go overboard'. cowering slightly in fear of my mean-spiritedness I managed to stammer out a few answers:

I feel bunkers need to stop this childish desire for independance. they're simply not ready for that kind of responsibility. they need to suck it up and become one with the force, err, base. assuming you've played planetside for a little while you know the shape of the gates to a base, which is good because you're gonna need that thought a few sentences from now. herein, I propose to maim three birds with one stone. those three birds are the independance of bunkers, the general feeling that gates suck as defense, and the lack of a warm fuzzy 'safe' feeling while in a bunker. take the bunker, ram it into that large flat, totally gauche section of wall under the overpass on the inside of the gate to a base. after ramming it in there, stretch it a bit and wrap around the wall just a skosh. we'll end up with a vertically stretched 'C' looking shape that now has a commanding view of the passageway between the outside of the base to the inside. don't wrap it around too far, limit the people in there to defending the gate itself. (I'm actually gonna throw the ball in everyone else's court here, and leave it totally open to speculation as to the height of this set up. should it be high enough to leave a blind spot under each bunker that has to be covered by the opposite bunker, or should it be right on the ground so nobody can sneak past?) anyone trying to just waltz through the gate with the new, improved, low low price of a single patch bunker would now have to contend with some actual defense, rather than the inevitable spitfire turret stuffed into that corner behind the gate (you all know exactly where I'm talking about, admit it.) having bent, folded, spindled, and mutilated our bunker into a good position we now need to offer our defenders a way in. this is easy to accomodate, while addressing the second little dash I made up there ^. if the entrance to the bunker is an off-shoot hallway of the inside of the base compound then you have a fair, though not complete and thus still paranoia inducing, sense of security and can concentrate on making dead things out of the currently walking and shooting things trying to get in your base.

next up we have the little ramps in front of the 'firing windows'. they're good in theory, but they need some working. they need to be calibrated so that anyone standing back a few inches, off of the ramp, is at 'eye level' with the firing window. anyone standing on the ramp, when crouched, should be at the optimal shooting level as well, which would give them the crouched accuracy. at the middle of the ramp as we go from left to right there needs to be a little niche carved out so that a MAX can stand there and be at the optimum level.

finally, we have to satisfy my inner monkey always looking for the shiny new stuff in the world. he told me he wants to have some kind of light turret between the top of the bunker and the bottom of the overhead walk-way. nothing as big and nasty as the phalanx turrets we have on the walls, and it should be only anti-infantry in it's set up. he does think it should be repairable from inside the bunker, but that point is open to debate.

so, there you have it. my rambling diatribe on bunkers. bye bye for now.

the way bunkers were ment to be.

"Oh, just your standard issue big gun"
Old 2003-07-14, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

I love the idea, those things really need some love, right now they are more deathtraps then anything else. My compliments to you for your ideas and for their stellar deliverery.
Old 2003-07-14, 10:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Hexen
Sergeant

Now lets guess the chances of it being implemented!

I say, 1 in about 20 billion!

Oh well, we can always dream.
Old 2003-07-14, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
shinken
First Sergeant

hey, spork is on every once in a while theres a chance it could happen, unlikly tho

"Oh, just your standard issue big gun"
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion